Ringing in the New Year with the July Mamas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fenwick, yah, you have to have a yahoo blog. Groan! I know how that is a PITA because I feel that way on other blog sites that require the same thing.

Off to ABQ today!!! Wish me luck through the customs/immigration/houston airport nightmare. I don't have a stroller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 11:27 AM

good luck & great travels!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#123 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 11:45 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
fenwick, yah, you have to have a yahoo blog. Groan!
Sadly, I really don't check Elsanne's or Juice's blog very often because of this. I can't even pull the RSS to my own reader. :

People, move to WordPress, already! (An open-source blogging software with all sorts of plugins and customization & security features -- it's sort of like Firefox, but for blogging.)

Quote:
Off to ABQ today!!! Wish me luck through the customs/immigration/houston airport nightmare. I don't have a stroller.
Good luck and safe and happy travels!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#124 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
ETA: I'm on the blog bandwagon. My birthday gift to myself.
I'm sorry the bday didn't go as expected. But your ds sounds like a *wonderful* little boy. My son gave me a Hot Wheel once, LOL, and I thought he must really love me because his HWs are his most prized possessions....

I liked your song in your blog! Hope you find what you're looking for in writing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
DD3 is sick. *sign* she has the sniffles, running nose, a bit congested too but nothing too serious until tonight when she started to cough. Right now i'm researching and doing the waiting game.
Oh no - how is she now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by witt View Post
I have to put this in some sort of perspective because otherwise I'll go crazy. And because I can't blame doctors for my csections, I can't blame anyone but myself........ does that make it easier or harder??? I don't know
Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice View Post
I'm still working on my 7-hour drug free waterbirth, I can't imagine. Be gentle with yourself.
I think most everyone has something to process. I know I am still thinking about mine daily....mostly what happened after the birth in my case...sorry your dh was a bit "doltish" too....

Quote:
Good luck! Maybe time to get a cheapo $10 stroller? I found them a lifesaver in the airport when ds1 was little, especially if we needed to get somewhere quickly!

Had an interesting sleeping night last night. My ds2 has come down with his first real cold! I knew it was coming as he was a little drippy during the evening. I had a short cold over the weekend - guess I passed it along.

He actually slept sort of GREAT for a period (maybe 3 hours or so)!!!! I was in shock - I guess because he wasn't feeling well? Then he woke at 4am with a stuffed nose, just screaming and screaming - it broke my heart. He kept trying to nurse and pulled off because he couldn't breathe and it would make him more upset. I ended up rubbing a little Vick's on his chest and he could breathe shortly thereafter. I'm a little conflicted as anything with menthol, camphor, etc is a big no-no in the homeopathic world and I am taking him to a homeopath tomorrow...so...not sure what that will do to things! I think he ended up getting back to sleep around 5:30 so I was able to sleep a little bit more before work. He was out COLD when my alarm went off though - and unfortunately woke up when I removed my arm from under him. He will probably take a good nap this morning.

Had some long talks with dcp - I am feeling better. Am I still keeping my eyes open for other places? Yes. But after airing some things, I think we will be okay for a while if I can't find anything else. She is even on board delaying solids for him and I thought that would be quite a battle. We'll see...I'll probably be back here complaing now after I said that.
#125 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Oh elsanne -thinking of you in transit!!

And everyone processing... I am also thinking back to just the way I couldn't handle the pain - I was calling for an ambulance for God's sake! (Luckily baby came as they arrived). I feel I have nothing to complain about, you know I had a homebirth as I wanted. But it's just so so intense, I'm sure, like whoever said, most of us have a deal of processing to do and there's no point comparing...

I am doing my head in completely researching vaccinations before our trip to Morocco in feb. Turns out it's too late to give dd2 the DPT even if we decided to . My gut says no, just to be totally scrupulous about hygeine and take a medical kit that's pretty comprehensive. Keep her in the ergo and just breastfeed. But fear, it can sneak in and then I feel like a dreadful parent to even be taking my kids anywhere I don't need to go, where there are different risks...I'm giving myself a hard time today :

Thanks for the CD Juice! And thank you ALL for the lovely songs on it...Quag - that's one of my faves -

Cori - yay for the 3 hrs but sorry it ended so badly...is he actually taking homeopathics right now? if the homeopath prescribes you something else you can just stop the menthol stuff you know, no harm done.
#126 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwickmama View Post
quick question-juice, why can't i comment on your blog? do i havta be a friend or have a yahoo blog or something?
Two secconds here...
I changed the settings to public, but it still says you have to be a member of yahoo 360 to comment. You don't have to blog, just sign up. I sooo understand if people don't wanna - it drives me crazy to have many places to check, passwords etc. So I am totally open to taking it somewhere else, it's so new it would be really easy to recreate. I like Tanya's, how anyone in the world can comment but she has to approve it. So anyone who blogs or knows anything about it, give me the info, and I'll check it out. I DEFINITELY want people to comment - that's part of the exercise for me! I just don't have time (or energy) to search for various blog sites, so I went with what was in front of me

Feedback, please! THe more the better. Now back to work.
#127 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 PM

Just thought I would pose this question to you girls and see what you think!

The neighbors behind us are also the builders of our house, so we have had a lot of contact with them. I have always enjoyed being around them and think they are really nice people who would do anything for anyone. I would love to spend more time around the wife, but there's a problem.....both her and her husband smokes. They have also been asking to watch DS, but I just don't know what to say. I grew up in a household where all of my relatives smoked. I have made it out ok, but I realize that doesn't mean much. Having them come to our house is also not really an option because we have the world's most obnoxious dogs. So my question is......would you take your child over to their house, either for a short visit or to have them watch DS?

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#128 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 05:07 PM

Tricia, I can assure you that you do NOT have the world's most obnoxious dogs. I do. (as far as the neighbors, I personally wouldn't leave my DS in a smoker's house unless they only ever smoked outside. I even have a hard time letting smokers who smell like smoke hold him. It's just yucky - and I used to smoke myself, if you can believe that.)

I'm super-on-the-run right now, but wanted to share the test blog at Wordpress (thanks Maria!). please take a look at it and let me know (here) which you're more likely to read/respond to... maybe try leaving a comment and see how it works. I'm trying to get a feel for it all right now, and I appreciate all your help! If other blog sites are suggested, I may try them too. I want to keep this going, so I want it to be good!

Thx
J
#129 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
is she ok sandrine???
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
Oh no - how is she now?
She's doing good. She hasn't gotten worse. Still coughing here and there with a nice running nose/congestion too. She is nursing as usual, wet dipes as usual and even poop this morning.

I started to take Vit C and i even put a humidifier in her room.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#130 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So much to say, but no time to muiltiquote it all.

You should be able to log in with your yahoo id and ask juice to add you as a friend to make comments. Juice, I don't know the difference between blogs, but I used www.blogger.com. It's pretty simple to set up. And in the middle of this post I see you have started a new one already!

Tricia, I grew up in a smoking household and I have very strong feelings on this issue. Because my ultimate subconscious goal in life is to be the opposite of my mother (but somehow she still comes out, but that's another post) I have never even tried a cigarette. When I was pregnant with ds, my brother told her "You know she's not going to let you near that baby if you're still smoking." So a few months before ds's birth she quit smoking and hasn't looked back, thankfully. So, if I'm not going to let my own mother be close to him if she smokes.....you can see where this is going.

Fast forward to this past Christmas. We went to visit dh's grandmother. FIL lives with her, but is supposed to smoke outside b/c of the oxygen she uses b/c she has emphysema. But she was in rehab at the hospital and as soon as we walked in my throat was burning from the smoke smell and he wasn't even smoking at the time. I was tapping my toe and nudging dh to get the heck out of there. My hair smelled of smoke, but not my clothes...yet. And he wasn't even smoking by us. Second hand smoke is still there whether they are currently smoking or not.

You do not have to apologize for protecting your child. Tell them that asthma runs in your family, so the doctor recommends he not be in smoking households, but that they are welcome at your house anytime. I remember reading somewhere (and of course I don't have the link, but I promise I'm not making it up) that the hair of children of smokers was tested and compared to determine if smoking outside was enough to keep exposure to a minimum. The children of smokers who did it outside and never in the presence of the child still had nicotine in their hair. Of course, it was lower, but it was still present. I don't recall how significant the amount was, but it just seems like a bad idea to have even a minute amount of an addictive drug in a child's body. This of course is better than smoking inside and in the car, but still not ideal, kwim?

Ok, off my soapbox.
#131 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Tricia, I can assure you that you do NOT have the world's most obnoxious dogs. I do. (as far as the neighbors, I personally wouldn't leave my DS in a smoker's house unless they only ever smoked outside. I even have a hard time letting smokers who smell like smoke hold him. It's just yucky - and I used to smoke myself, if you can believe that.)

J
This is how I feel too. DH and I both were smokers pre children too. We smoked outside then. It really is gross, especially if they do it in the house. Can the dogs be put in another room when they visit?
#132 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

We have taken a swandive, well, maybe a bellyflop, off the developmental growth cliff. Overnight we have nonstop raspberries, floor flying, and let's see how wet we can get mom by splashing. This is the good stuff.
#133 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 PM

For Elsanne in transit,

Hoping you have no
trials and tribulations
of travel today

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenka View Post
Turns out it's too late to give dd2 the DPT even if we decided to . My gut says no, just to be totally scrupulous about hygeine and take a medical kit that's pretty comprehensive. Keep her in the ergo and just breastfeed. But fear, it can sneak in and then I feel like a dreadful parent to even be taking my kids anywhere I don't need to go, where there are different risks...I'm giving myself a hard time today :
Breathe...it's going to be ok. I think I saw you mention earlier that you were worried about tetanus? If so, it's unlikely that your baby will have a chance to be exposed so young. You need a pretty good puncture wound, and at her age I don't think that's likely. Or maybe you have another concern, but I can't remember :

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermommy View Post
This is how I feel too. DH and I both were smokers pre children too. We smoked outside then. It really is gross, especially if they do it in the house. Can the dogs be put in another room when they visit?
This is how tired I am today (after two nights being up every hour, and then the busiest day in the office in months, yay for me but tired so tired) I ran all your sentences together and suddenly smoking dogs were coming over for a visit, but they had to stay in another room... it's really funny in my head.
#134 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Well, I now have the yahoo blog AND the new-and-improved-and-hopefully-easier-to-comment-on wordpress blog linked in my sig. I'm going to keep them for a few days and see how I feel - but I'm leaning heavily toward the new one.

WHY WON'T THIS EXHAUSTED BABY SLEEP??????
#135 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:

This is how tired I am today (after two nights being up every hour, and then the busiest day in the office in months, yay for me but tired so tired) I ran all your sentences together and suddenly smoking dogs were coming over for a visit, but they had to stay in another room... it's really funny in my head.
:

Yes, if your dogs want to visit my house, they MUST smoke outside.
#136 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:

yes I agree with everyone - no way no how no smokey smelly house near my babies (and I used to smoke too)
#137 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 PM

What's ABQ??? A barbeque?? no surely not:

I am finding my just turned 3 yr old HARD work right now. I remember this stage between 3 and 4 and it's UGLY

why have I subjected myself to this AGAIN and then AGAIN when baby gets to be 3....

Sample of behaviour:

Him: I WANT SOME TOAST (think yelled/whining voice)
me: it's cooking Ely
Him: I WANT SOME TOAST I WANT SOME TOAST I WANT SOME TOAST
me: it's cooking Ely
me: look Ely it's in the toaster, see??
toast pops out, I start buttering it
me: here Ely I'm just doing it - look mummy is buttering it

Finally toast ready and I give it to him

Him: I DON"T WANT THAT TOAST
:
Him: I WANT SOME MILK

<sigh>

My 5 yr old and my baby are easy peasy but my just turned 3 yr old is driving me :

ok got that out, feel better now
#138 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Smoking dogs. Reminds me of the poker playing dogs art.

Cori, glad to hear you have cleared the air with the dcp, at least for now!

Safe travels, Elsanne. We're going to drive to ABQ sometime this year. Ought to be interesting.

So a comment on my blog, and my response, has prompted this question.

Were your parents AP?

Mine were not. My mom is still pretty selfish, but my aunt tells me she has been her whole life, so whatcha gonna do? My brother and I were bf for 3-4 months, vaccinated (because my mom is afraid of polio...her mom had it), spanked, screamed at, too, so definitely no GD going on. Slings - nope. One of my moms favorite things to say to my brother and I is "there weren't any books to read" back when she was parenting. Yeah. Books are the latest technology. Of course, they are much easier to get now. But libraries are a sudden hot trend. My dad wasn't around so much when we were growing up because we moved from IN to FL after they divorced. Anyway, there are so many other issues, but I'd say it's safe to say my parents were definitely not AP. Sheesh. No wonder I'm having some issues with parenting!

ETA ABQ=Albuquerque sorry!
#139 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Miss Juice: Smoking dogs.........: They sure think they are human....why not smoke as well?

Writermommy: When we have someone come to visit we will usually put the dogs in the other room, but it usually ends up with them even more neurotic. Seperation anxiety, I guess. DH and I have said many times that they were meant to be with us, because no one else would put up with their antics

Tanya: You and I have a simialiar unconscious goal. In fact, my desire to not be like my mom or the rest of her side of the family is why I have been able to do as much with my life as I have. I too, have never even had a cig. for that reason alone. I'm going to take your advice and use the asthma excuse as why I can't take him over there. One idea I thought of is inviting the wife out for lunch. That way we can go to a smoke free restaurant and then she won't feel as though I am trying to avoid her. I just wish they didn't smoke so I could avoid the awkward situations.

The AP question is a good one. I am pretty sure that my mom did not know what AP was. I'm pretty sure she never co-slept with any of us, but did not believe in spanking and we all were given the reccomended vacinations (unless she forgot to take us to the doctor) as well as were all born in a hospital and most of the nine of us were born via c-section because of my mom's bleeding disorder. The only one of us that was breastfed was my sister who is now 23 and that was because my mom lost a son to SIDS a year before my sister was born. She breastfed her till she was 6 months so that her risk of SIDS would decrease. I never knew what a sling was until I went to college and saw a women wearing one with a child. I remember being jealous of the closeness her and her child were sharing

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#140 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 PM

1) I have a blog. I use blogger. It's fantastic. www.babydavies.blogspot.com
2)speaking of blogs, I have been creating custom headers for a few peeps. Wanna see em?
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8010/tattooedmamaideaun4.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4060/hippieheadervd9.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/82/knittingdoulaheaderjh3.jpg
3) We have mama over and over and over. I really honestly believe that she knows what she is saying. She still wants to be held by me 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Whenver DH holds her, she says MAMAMAMAMAMMAMA over and over until I take her back. Then she stops. She also does it when she wants to nurse. I am convinced. When she is playing she says Booph a lot. We used to make that sound whenever we would put her down on the bed. Imagine airplane noises and a 'aaaaaa-boooooph!!!' landing type noises. Yeah. Big geeks. But I have a genius baby who blows raspberries.
#141 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
btw lots of raspberries here too but no consonants........

lots of high pitched squealing too which is scary, do girl babies always squeal??? My boys never did:
Raspberries aplenty here, and omg the shrieking. High-pitched, jump out of my skin squealing. lord. (none of my other boys did it but wowee, this one)

Quote:

I have NO IDEA!!! The non-sleep is really bad here. :

Quote:
What's ABQ??? A barbeque?? no surely not:

I am finding my just turned 3 yr old HARD work right now. I remember this stage between 3 and 4 and it's UGLY

why have I subjected myself to this AGAIN and then AGAIN when baby gets to be 3....
I'm so scared. I think three is usually a very hard age for most kids. The problem is, my toddler is already SO much work at 2. He's been a ton of work this whole year. holy mary, if it gets worse I am going to lose my brain. Please let him be the typical "terrible two" who improves, pleasepleasepleaseplease. He only has one more month of two.

Quote:
Were your parents AP?
:

ok, to be fair, she nursed us all for a year, which was unusual in the 70s, but otherwise, not so much. Lots of yelling, hitting, telling us how we should be feeling.
#142 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 PM

and slowly my post count goes up................
#143 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I'm so scared. I think three is usually a very hard age for most kids. The problem is, my toddler is already SO much work at 2. He's been a ton of work this whole year. holy mary, if it gets worse I am going to lose my brain. Please let him be the typical "terrible two" who improves, pleasepleasepleaseplease. He only has one more month of two.
i feel your pain amy
#144 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenka View Post
Cori - yay for the 3 hrs but sorry it ended so badly...is he actually taking homeopathics right now? if the homeopath prescribes you something else you can just stop the menthol stuff you know, no harm done.
No nothing yet - so I guess I will be okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
Just thought I would pose this question to you girls and see what you think!
I'm with everyone else (ex-smoker here too!)...good idea about taking her out to lunch! I like the asthma excuse too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
She's doing good. She hasn't gotten worse. Still coughing here and there with a nice running nose/congestion too. She is nursing as usual, wet dipes as usual and even poop this morning.

I started to take Vit C and i even put a humidifier in her room.
Continued PVs - hope she is better soon!

Quote:
We have taken a swandive, well, maybe a bellyflop, off the developmental growth cliff. Overnight we have nonstop raspberries, floor flying, and let's see how wet we can get mom by splashing. This is the good stuff.
Go baby go!

Quote:
Breathe...it's going to be ok. I think I saw you mention earlier that you were worried about tetanus? If so, it's unlikely that your baby will have a chance to be exposed so young. You need a pretty good puncture wound, and at her age I don't think that's likely. Or maybe you have another concern, but I can't remember :
If it is tetanus, there are some great threads on the vax board. If it is a puncture wound, make it bleed and that would wash any bacteria away. Also, if I am remembering correctly, you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting tetanus! I feel so much better after reading there...

Quote:
Will check out the new blog when I can. about the exhausted baby. Mine is too and the little stinker took a 3 hour nap for dcp today. : : Which means he'll probably be up all night for me Sending lots of sleep vibes to you!!!

Quote:
: I'm only laughing because I remember how maddening that was! : Gotta love these kids. This too shall pass...this too shall pass...this too...:

Quote:

Were your parents AP?
Good God NO!!!!! My Dad probably was in some ways but my mother, hell no. Definitely a huge part of why I parent the way I do. I routinely had wooden spoons broken on my butt (my Dad never hit us even once). She definitely gave me any and all vaccines (she is a HUGE medical person - a labor and delivery nurse - can you see why I am such a rebel with my births?) She has made references to letting us cry to sleep but I've never questioned further because I just do not want to know. She was very verbally abusive (always telling us how happy she was before we came along, how fat and ugly I was - interestingly,never said any of this to my sister!). A lot of my eating/weight issues are definitely from my childhood. Honestly, I think she had some mental issues. I used to be scared to come home after school, never knowing what her mood would be like. She is a MUCH, MUCH different person now. She can't even stand to hear her grandkids cry, she lavishes them with love (never told me she loved me ever). I haven't told her that Nathan isn't vaxed. She'd probably freak. We still argue about things but she seems to be trying hard. She is even eating organic now because of me when before she thought I was nuts. (Probably a doctor told her it was better because they are gods to her).
By the way, my mother smoked when pg (they told her it was safe!), and both parents used to smoke in the car with the windows rolled up!!! : : I did end up smoking myself. I feel I am doomed to lung cancer.

Oh and she formula fed but I was on SKIM MILK by 6 months because I was "too fat". Solids around 2 weeks old. Joke's on her - I am fat NOW.

I had a lot of ear infections so she asked them to remove my tonsils and said, "While you're in there remove her adenoids too." I feel so violated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD View Post
1) I have a blog. I use blogger. It's fantastic. www.babydavies.blogspot.com
2)speaking of blogs, I have been creating custom headers for a few peeps. Wanna see em?
[
Very nice! I was thinking of you today and was going to ask how Autumn is - is she any better?
#145 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 10:41 PM

hang on ..............amy you mean 3 is NORMALLY easier than 2 yrs???????????

aghhhh i've been cheated twice then:
#146 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
oh my gosh i've justt learnt that male circ is still pretty routine in the US

they stopped this in New Zealand around 15 yrs ago

now i understand all the activism re circ - i couldn't figure it out cos it's a dead issue here

wow
I WISH it would happen here. The only way it probably will is if insurance will stop paying for it...I am not proud to say my first son is circed. I am so sad and nauseous thinking about it. I didn't research it - and I research *everything*. I had no idea it was optional. Never presented as such. I never knew anyone who didn't do it. I am mad at my CNM and especially my doula that no one even said, "Are you sure you want to do that? It's not medically necessary" I would have immediately jumped on the computer and it never would have happened. My doula is SUPER crunchy and is even a CPM now - I can't believe she didn't question me. Sigh....it is my one true regret....well he also had several vaxes too...anyone have a time machine?

Luckily I found Mothering Mag when ds was 2 months and was set straight (not about vaxes at that point though, unfortunately). If only I could take it back. Believe it or not though, dh wanted to circ ds2 for the whole, "He will be different than all of us" excuse. I was able to point him to a lot of stuff on the web and he came around...sigh...

Confession is supposed to be good for the soul but it doesn't feel so good....:
#147 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermommy View Post

Quote:
Were your parents AP?
I always separate out NFL and AP.

My parents were very NFL. My mom was very active in LLL, bf us for years, made all our clothes, used CDs; my dad was and is quite the environmentalist, they both gardened and grew much of our food, etc.

I'm not sure how AP they were -- there was definitely a lot of pressure on my sister and me to be a certain way. And while I think they were pretty GD when we were younger, there was a lot of yelling later. I had an abusive stepfather from about age 8 on.

DH's parents were also quite NFL (they raised him on communes, for goodness' sake) but again, not always AP in the sense of respecting an individual child's needs. DH has both good and bad things to say about his upbringing -- the bad usually involves pressure to conform to the nonconformity.

Quote:
I WISH it would happen here. The only way it probably will is if insurance will stop paying for it...
Insurance (provincial insurance, that is) no longer pays for circs in Canada. I don't think you can even get it done at birth. You have to make an appointment and pay something like $200. I imagine it definitely reduces the number of circs.

And :guh Cori.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#148 of 822 Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I WISH it would happen here. The only way it probably will is if insurance will stop paying for it...I am not proud to say my first son is circed. I am so sad and nauseous thinking about it. I didn't research it - and I research *everything*. I had no idea it was optional. Never presented as such. I never knew anyone who didn't do it. I am mad at my CNM and especially my doula that no one even said, "Are you sure you want to do that? It's not medically necessary" I would have immediately jumped on the computer and it never would have happened. My doula is SUPER crunchy and is even a CPM now - I can't believe she didn't question me. Sigh....it is my one true regret....well he also had several vaxes too...anyone have a time machine?

Luckily I found Mothering Mag when ds was 2 months and was set straight (not about vaxes at that point though, unfortunately). If only I could take it back. Believe it or not though, dh wanted to circ ds2 for the whole, "He will be different than all of us" excuse. I was able to point him to a lot of stuff on the web and he came around...sigh...

Confession is supposed to be good for the soul but it doesn't feel so good....:
Cori - sorry I posted that and then realised it might make people feel bad and this thread wasn't the place for that so I removed it obviously just moments after you quoted it. My intention wasn't to point fingers at anyone but I was amazed that it was still routine anywhere in the Western world. I never had to make this decision because you would have to hunt high and low in NZ these days to find anyone to do it. It is truly an obsolete practice - I don't know anyone with a child younger than 15 who has had them circ'ed - it just doesn't happen here.

Cori

I have selectively vaxed my other 2 for some things............ but baby no 3 hasn't had anything yet and maybe I won't vax her at all........ I'm still researching

We all make decisions we regret

again I apologise for posting that here
#149 of 822 Old 01-05-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
hang on ..............amy you mean 3 is NORMALLY easier than 2 yrs???????????

aghhhh i've been cheated twice then:
no, I mean mine are usually easier at 2 - sweet and eager to please even. This time, we better be reversing the trend!
#150 of 822 Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Cori, I could have written much of your post about circ. I am not proud my ds is circed. I didn't research it or vax, and I research everything. It didn't help that dh was insistent on it without researching either. I can't stand to watch the circ videos knowing what I let happen to my ds. I suppose the Maya Angelou quote applies here. It's not an exact quote, but goes something like when you know better you did better. I was battling it out with dh for dd2 not to be circed until I found out she was a girl. It was going to be uphill, too. I'm secretly thankful we didn't have to battle that in our marriage.

I think our mom's were similar, too. Mine would often tell us after she came home from work how she "didn't want to come home anymore." I remember thinking "What if she doesn't come home one day?" The worst part about it is she has blocked out the reality of what went on over the years and I think she really doesn't remember how it really was.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page