Ringing in the New Year with the July Mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2007, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy New Year!!!!

What shall we kick off the New Year thread with? I'm too tired to think of a fun question.

How about this:

If you could spend New Year's Eve anywhere in the world, with or without kids, where would it be?

Dh and I both love tropical places even though we both get crispy in the sun. I would take the kids, but also bring a nanny for them so we can have some fun grown-up time along with the family time. I don't have a favorite place to go, but would love to go someplace we've never been before and warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really like spending new years with my high school buddies and the sibs who are close to our own age. They don't get crazy drunk, everyone knows the jokes and stories before they're even alluded to, and we all like the same music. Won't happen again for a few years, I'm going to miss it

another question for the booby babies' mamas: do you say breastfeed or nurse or something else? as in, "ds wants to breastfeed," or "I'm going to nurse dd now." I definitely say nurse, it seems less awkward and less like I'm overstating the obvious, you know?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:36 AM

HI mamas and Very Happy New Year to you all!
We also went to bed at 10pm and I was expecting to be woken up by fireworks at midnight but instead I woke up at 1:30am! I never heard a single firecracker or fireworks this year! We had really bad storm last night that killed everything else. Our LAST South storm!! We are flying on Thursday....off to Seattle.
Moving company coming tomorrow. So I basicly came here to say good bye for a while. We will have computer at the end of this week though but I don't think I'll be on it that frequently for a while.

TO answer the question - I have no idea where I'd love to be. Probably somewhere in snowy mountains. Sitting by a fire inside a beautiful log cabin listening only the sound of fire. Looking out the window watching the snow fall on the ground......that's my kind of New Years Eve. Never had it. Maybe as a kid, but minus the log cabin

Off to work now. Finishing the packing.

Take care everyone. Have a WONDERFUL, successfull year 2007!! Love to you all.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:44 PM

newlywaas, I say nurse. Or feed. At mama's Breastaurant.

I thought that was funny how that June mama came in to razz our butts. Hey, more chatty, more to keep up with, harder to do. I'm not sorry we're not in competition any more!

New Year's, anywhere? Hm. Probably my same answer for anywhere for any time, because the actual passing into the new year means almost nothing to me (I went to bed last night at 11.30 pm). I did have fun, viet & I made a bonfire and the moon was bright & beautiful, we charred some potatoes and chicken sausage...
Old 01-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Happy new year!
I love New Years. Tanya, your question is too hard. Maybe I'd go where you and your DH were and take advantage of your nanny

waaz, if I'm specifying I'll usually say nurse. But usually I'll just say feed or eat or whatever seems appropriate at the time.

Pav GOOD LUCK with the move. I can't imagine the stress of it all. I hope everything goes smoothly.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM

elsanne, a bonfire, nice. We always have a fire and sit in front of it and have a glass of champagne. We write down thoughts about the year, not resolutions per se, but things we liked and didn't like and are ready to be done with etc, and burn them. It's very cathartic. My favorite ceremony of the year for sure.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 PM

I beat you this morning, Joosy Goosy. Beat you here!

The fire/burning thing sounds really cool!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 PM

I went snowshoeing during the day (with dh and baby) and at night we bundled up and walked downtown with Harvest in the ergo carrier and watched the First Night parade. Last year I watched it with my husband and I remember getting all teary eyed saying that the following year our 5 month old would LOVE the colorful dancing dragons in the parade so much. Well this year I was teary eyed because He WAS there with us LOVING the dancing dragons in the parade. His eyes were so wide and he seemed to love all the lights. He also experienced the kiddy fireworks. He was asleep when Andy and I went to the hot tent and had some nice warm food.
At night we all went to sleep at about 8:30 and as I dozed off to sleep with my wonderful husband and our baby inbetween us and I thought to myself that I wouldnt have changed New Years eve this year for the world. I spent it just the way I wanted to.

I call it nursing. However, I might call it the breasteraunt from now on. that is too cute!

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:59 PM

Dh and I watched "The Breakfast Club" and "An Inconvienient Truth" last night and I completely forgot that it was New Year's. People in the neighborhood started shooting off firecrackers and whatnot, and I paused Al Gore to ask dh in an irritated tone if civil war was erupting outside our door or something!

We would probably take the kids and go to Houghton, Michigan where my mom lives. It's beautiful and snowy, with the possibility of seeing the northern lights, and with my mom, sister and brother there, we could be close to the kids, but not necessarily be entertaining them all the time.

I say nursing and breastfeeding interchangably, whatever comes out of my mouth at the time. Or I speak to ds2 directly and ask him if he wants nursies.

Anna , partner to Chad geek.gif , mommy to Aidan (10/12/04) and Nate (07/18/06) fencing.gif , and Violet fairy.gif(10/23/07) .

Old 01-01-2007, 01:00 PM

vermontgirl sounds like a truly fab celebration--how awesome! Then imagine, next year, what that 1 y 5 month old is going think of those dancing dragons!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Houghton! I know that place well! I worked a couple summers on Isle Royale and we would always party down in Houghton, and catch the boat to the Island from there. I have only seen it in summertime though--and the Northern lights truly are amazing--
Old 01-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Look at me! Little miss Posty-Pants this morning ah!!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 PM

Happy New Year all!

Normally I hit the sack around 9 pm (you know the sleeping issues well)...but I was feeling rather defiant last night and stayed up to watch the Will Farrell movie "Talladega Nights". I didn't fall asleep until around 11:30. : : Of course, during the movie alone, Nathan woke up 5 times. That should have been my warning. Needless to say, I'm really kicking myself in the pants today. I should know better. I love this little guy so much but damn, this sleep thing is getting old. And I know you're sick of listening to it! LOL

Today it is rainy. Trying to get some things done around the house. NOT looking forward to returning to work tomorrow.

If I were to go anywhere, I'd love to return to Aruba. My sister was married there in 2005. We had a great time. Ds1 always asks when we're going back. I wouldn't even consider doing such a thing until Nathan is much older and sleeping!

I usually say "nurse" but more often "eat" and to Nathan I try to say "milk" and do the sign but this time around I've been horrible about being consistent with it.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 PM

I think breastaurant is my favorite
Old 01-01-2007, 01:19 PM

My real New Year's was pretty good. But in a perfect fantasy world I would have spent it with a special friend of mine, alone, with no kids. Hard to believe my little Henri is 5 months old already. Where is the time going?
Old 01-01-2007, 01:40 PM

perfect nye? does one exist? i never have a good time on nye, no matter what the preparation or whatever...just home w/the family sounds good to me...

and i too stayed up too late-11p-and totally regret it, i think my seth is trying to challenge your nathan, cori! ugh! can't believe dh's vacation is over and it's back to the grind tomorrow, up at 6:30 etc. ack!

i say nursing...for now...

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
Old 01-01-2007, 02:03 PM

First page!

I don't know where we'd go. Probably party with my friends if they had nannies too.

We say "bee" (which is Adia's word for nursing.. shortened from boobie by her choice), nursing, or nursie noodles when being silly with Miss Francesca.

I stayed up until 1am last night to metabolize those 3 sips of champagne before cosleeping. Luckily Francesca decided to sleep until a glorious 8:45, because her routine was all thrown off too.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:22 PM

Happy new Year!!

DH and I were talking about all the people who were crowding the streets in NYC and decided that is definetly a place I would NOT like to go. I think the best place would be on a cruise in a tropical place. Probably won't happen though because DH thinks every boat is the titanic and is deathly afraid of them.

Here's a picture I thought I would share of Andrew. He's getting more and more curious about his world.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...h_IMG_2768.jpg

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
Happy new Year!!

DH and I were talking about all the people who were crowding the streets in NYC and decided that is definetly a place I would NOT like to go. I think the best place would be on a cruise in a tropical place. Probably won't happen though because DH thinks every boat is the titanic and is deathly afraid of them.

Here's a picture I thought I would share of Andrew. He's getting more and more curious about his world.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...h_IMG_2768.jpg
Oh how adorable!!!

Cute ddddc! I assume refers to the gumby name??
Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Happy New Year to all! I always seem to "abandon" this thread when it gets too long and I should not do that.

My perfect New Year's Eve would be in Vermont. I love all seasons there, but I've been dying to go XC skiing and we have had absolutely NO SNOW yet. We have not visited Vermont for over a year, sigh.

As far as the BFing question, I say nurse.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Howdy all!!!! Well Tanya and Cori...I hate to tell you this, but sleep issues don't seem to get any better Seth went to sleep last night at 11:15, and was up at 7:30!!!! He is 2.5 and still doesn't sleep through the night. I really hope it is different for you two, but what you describe sounds SO much like him. I know, it is hard...sometimes it just plain sucks.

My perfect nye?? I think we had one pretty close last night. We had a good friend of mine and her 2 girls over last night. The kids played and watched a movie, we played Trivial Pursuit 90's edition, then we just sat around and chatted and knitted. It was so nice. She left around 10:45, we put ds to bed and then watched 24. It was nice.

However...that tropical island sounds REALLY nice!!!

So, I've been trying to raise some money for Doctor's without Borders...I'm auctioning off a purse that I made, on my blog. But I am really sad, I've only gotten one bid, for $10. So, I'm extending the bidding time. If you're interested, you can click on my blog link in my sig and check it out.

Oh, we say nurse and breastfeed interchangably. I will say I need to nurse or breastfeed the baby. But, if I'm talking to Amelia, I will say milkers and do the sign. She gets SO excited when I sign milk!!! She is so funny!!!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:56 PM

Happy New Year's. Bonne Année!!!

I think for me, to spend a great New Year's woud be with all my friends and familly. Either here up north or somewhere tropical. Just a place where we can chat and party and dance. I wouldn't forget a nanny or two for all thek ids.

I usually called nursing, "boire son lait"(drink her milk), nursing(allaiter) or breastfeeding. When i talk to dd3 it's "do you want to drink? are you thirsty? Do you want milk?" To the girls, it's "she wants to drink her milk". DD1 and DD2 knows what that's means and are pretty good at keeping themselves busy during that time.

Tricia~ He's adorable!!!

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 01-01-2007, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
Look at me! Little miss Posty-Pants this morning ah!!
And you're not the only one! It's great to see some old faces around here again! :

When I talk about nursing, I just say "the baby needs to nurse" or "It's time to feed the baby". With ds we called it "nursies" and he came up with his own name for it later (switch, because I would always ask if he wanted to switch sides...nothing more 007-ish than a two year old asking to "switch" in public ). With dd1 we called it milk and now "nursie milk" seems to be the word. It's funny how nothing has really stuck for us.

Tricia, he is a beautiful baby!!!

I think New Years is a neglected holiday for our family. I don't have the desire to run off and drink the night away, but it would be nice to have some kind of tradition that we do. I'll have to make that my resolution! I only have all year to come up with an idea!
Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Well, I hold you all responsible for the link in my sig. You know who you are.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:21 PM

SWEET juice!!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:27 PM

HAPPY B-DAY ELSANNE!!!! I hope you have a great day.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 01-01-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
Happy New Year!!!!
If you could spend New Year's Eve anywhere in the world, with or without kids, where would it be?
New Year's Eve is the birthday of my DHs mom who died of cancer when he was 19. He was an only child and his parents were divorced. He left school as a teenager to take of her. So, he was just kind of sad all day. I think, ideally, we would be up in the mountains in the french alps, where her ashes are.

Last night I got us vietnamese food and we watched a french movie called "Chaos". It was really good. Very strong female characters. Panda slept through the movie, and we went to bed at 12:15. It was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywaaz View Post
another question for the booby babies' mamas: do you say breastfeed or nurse or something else? as in, "ds wants to breastfeed," or "I'm going to nurse dd now." I definitely say nurse, it seems less awkward and less like I'm overstating the obvious, you know?
I say either "she's hungry" or "she wants the boob". To her I do the sign and say either "you want milk?", "you hungry?" or "you want some boob?" It doesn't matter what I say, if she's hungry she freaks out when I do the sign for milk. We have done that consistently since she was born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post
HI mamas and Very Happy New Year to you all!
We also went to bed at 10pm and I was expecting to be woken up by fireworks at midnight but instead I woke up at 1:30am! I never heard a single firecracker or fireworks this year! We had really bad storm last night that killed everything else. Our LAST South storm!! We are flying on Thursday....off to Seattle.
I have two really good friends in Bham with a 2yo dd. And they know loads of people with kids. Let me know if you want to connect with them. And if you guys ever want to visit Olympia- we have a guest room!

I haven't been on here because we had a belated Christmas in Seattle with my fam. My brother got out of rehab thursday and seems really good. I took him to "the 12 step store" and got him a 1 month coin. He got me an 8 year coin. It was like pretty sweet.

My resolutions are to eat less sweets. Organic wheat free vegan sweets are still sweets and I have been out of control with the cookies. I need to start going back to water aerobics too. I miss the community pool in Seattle. I need to figure out if I can pay per class at the Y instead of buying a membership. I also need to start painting more and learn how to silk screen.

Oh, and I need to simultaneously get 1000 posts and spend less time online!

Happy 2007 everyone!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:50 PM

happy new year for the new thread!
Of course for those of us "down under" it's the day after New Year's day now....
I think we are 13 hours ahead of you??

my favourite New Years - I think going to Australia, hot hot hot sunny sunny sunny and of course a nanny or something for the kids so I could stay up and drink eat and be merry
Old 01-01-2007, 06:52 PM

My other resolution is to get much better at french. FIL called about an hour ago and all I could say was ca va before getting nervous. He doesn't speak a word of english! We are going to spend a few weeks with him in June and I need to be able to say more than "je perdu mes pamplemousses dans un biblioteque".
Old 01-01-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimya View Post
Organic wheat free vegan sweets are still sweets
NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!! Say it isn't so! I make myself feel better by buying junk food from the health food store when I can.

Kimya, glad your brother is home. I'm glad he has you to show him your strength and to help him through.

Shweet, Juice. Already added to my favorites.

A Juicy haiku
Puts a big smile on my face
One for every day

User Tag List