Mothering Forum banner

Nov. 06 mamas - January thread

7K views 243 replies 52 participants last post by  twogreencars 
#1 ·
I want a club, too! No, but seriously, our little guys and gals are almost two months old! Can you believe it? Time goes by so quickly. My little guy weighs over 10 and half pounds, and I can't believe how big he's getting. How about you, mamas? How are your little ones? I'll add your baby to the list when you post a thread. Let's get this going!

Sydney 7-27 (home from hospital 11-16)
Gabrielle 10/23
Benton 11/1
Georgia 11/2
Porter 11/3
Avishai 11/3
Awen 11/4
Atticus 11/5
Ruck Turner 11/7
Peter 11/7
Lillie 11/7
Eli 11/9
Magnus 11/9
Ingrid 11/12
Alex 11/12
Nyx 11/13
Jaxon 11/13
Emerson 11/14
Zeben 11/14
Mikaela 11/15
Aiden 11/16
Lea 11/16
Nate 11/17
Morgan 11/17
Landis 11/17
Talia 11/17
Jericho 11/18
Carl 11/19
Liam 11/19
Fiona 11/20
Libby 11/20
TJ 11/21
Yarrow 11/23
Carter 11/24
Marissa 11/24
Quincy 11/25
Asheby 11/25
Dorothy 11/25
Yasmeen 11/26
Omiros 11/26
Indigo 11/27
Joaquin 11/28
Macy 11/28
Mila 11/30

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Katie!
My ds is getting big too! Time just keeps on flying by!
TJ was born safely and securely at home in water on 21 Nov

We welcomed in the new year with a raging diaper rash, and gas! (him, not me...hahaha)
I splurged and had icecream....starting today, no more milk for me.

#3 ·
You're stronger than I. I tried giving up milk products, but I failed miserably. DS had horrible gas in thew beginning, but it's tons better now.
I had a hospital birth, but was really apprehensive about it. I ended up really liking being at the hospital. I had a doula, and she was able to help me get through it w/o an epidural. I had stadol, but I don't regret thatdecision at all. Any other Nov. mamas out there??
nak

#4 ·
Hey Mamas

I was just coming on to start this thread, and lo and behold, here it is. Thanks Katie for starting it!

I can't believe how quickly it goes by. Eli is a great baby, but four is tough!! Especially since my two y/o, Zeke is just now starting to talk. He is still quite dependent on me. I feel like I am always choosing who to care for. But overall things are good and we are all adjusting.

Eli was born 11-9 at 5:30 am.

#5 ·
Hi there, I don't post much on here, but would like to start!! My little guy, Joaquin was born November 28 and is nearly 5 weeks old now! This month has gone by so fast!!
He was born at a hospital free of any sort of drugs with the help of a doula and Hypnobabies. It was the most amazing experience of my life!!
We co-sleep, breastfeed and use cloth diapers and so far things are going fabulously!!
Looking forward to getting to know all of you...
ciria

#6 ·
ooh! I want to join! My daughter was born 16 weeks early in July but wasn't due until November 11th and so we most definitely fit in here better than we'd fit in with the July '06 mamas

Sydney was born July 27th at 9:09 am and came home November 16th at about 6pm

#7 ·
Welcome, mamas! Sarah, I would love tohear more about Sydney. How is she doing? What was it like having a baby so early? Birth story? I'm just so excited that she's doing okay after being 16 weeks early. That's awesome.
Ciria, Joaquin is such a cool name. Is it pronounced like the actor Joaquin Phoenix pronounces his? Is that where you got the idea for the name? I'm sure everyone asks you that. I always get, "Oh, like To Kill a Mockingbird?" when I say DS's name is Atticus. I've actually never read the book; I watched the movie this summer after everyone kept talking about it.
I actually feel like a loser because I'm an English/Journalism teacher and that's such a classic book. I never had to read it in high school, and kids at my school read it as freshmen, and I don't teach freshmen. That's what I tell myself to not feel guilty for having never read the book.
DS is named after Atticus, who was an archbishop of Constantinople in 426. DH and I are Church history people.

#8 ·
Cool!! I want to join! Asheby was born 25 November at 6pm. After having contractions for weeks and a false alarm the Sunday before, James finally made me leave for the hospital at about 4:45 after contracting all day (again). My water broke right outside the car. We got to the hospital a little after 5:30, where I was checked and was 4cm. Checked again 15 minutes later and was 7cm, the nurse told me to stop screaming and walked out to call the dr. and I told James he was coming out. I don't even think I really pushed, my legs weren't even open all the way, lol. I was screaming like a prairie woman, had squirmed up the top of the bed and was sideways. James had to lift me up under my bum and push me back on the bed, then he cought Asheby. It was so awesome, but at the time I was crazy. My sister and dad were both in the hallway crying because they couldn't stand to see me in pain like that, I squeezed my moms hand so hard I broke one of her fingernails off. Real fingernail! I think it just went so fast it hurt worse. It definitely was not like that with Amethyst!
Anyway, I just love to share my story, sorry!
He has an appt nest Monday, he will be 6 weeks old then. I don't know what he weighs until then, but I'm guessing 10-11 lbs. He was 8lb 1.9oz at birth, only 8lbs at 9 days, 8lbs 12oz at 18 days. So he gained 12 oz in 9 days and I think he has kept it up. He seems so much bigger. We have had to readjust his carseat already, and some 0-3 mo clothes are getting short on him. He's not chubby at all, just big. Amethyst was always normal size but very dense, he's big and dense, lol.
We breastfeed and co-sleep.

#9 ·
You can add me...

Porter was born 11/3....I can't believe he'll be two months tomorrow!

I couldn't have asked for a better baby....he is smiling and talking up a storm now....and what a MOOSE (yay for breastfeeding)...just today he weighed almost 15 pounds and is already 24 inches long (he was 9 pounds 6 ounces when he was born and 20.5 inches long)

We cloth diaper, cosleep, babywear and practice attachment parenting...and LOVE every minute of it...I'm fortunate to be able to stay home with him and when I do help fill in at my old job, I am able to bring him with me

I LOVE being a mom and I LOVE my little man.....

#10 ·
my daughter is 7 weeks old; she was born on November 13th. Our milky ladycub is getting plumper by the day and I love watching her grow from just my body feeding her; she is my first and I would never have thought breastfeeding could be this satisfying..
: . Also she smiles at my partner and I now, especially when she first wakes up and sees us

#11 ·
I would like to join. Quincy was born on November 25th. It was not at all the birth I had planned and it has taken some time to come to terms with it. I was induced due to Pre E and had a very medical last month of my pregnancy with bedrest and constant testing.... In the end I got my little monkey and that makes it all woth while.

Quincy has been a perfect little angel. Such a sweet baby. Hardly ever cries, just squacks if he wants something and gives you time to figure it out. Latley though he has been marathon nursing, which is a little tiring, but that's my job.
I have to go back to work next month, only three days a week so I have just started pumping to start my freezer stash. Problem is no matter what we do we can't get Quincy to take a bottle. (not that I blame him) So DH and I are a little worried about that reality. Any tips?

Angelika

#12 ·
Welcome, ladies. Redstockingma, can we have the name of your baby to add to our list? As far as getting a baby to take a bottle, my LLL leaders recommend never giving the baby yourself because they won't take the fake stuff from mommy. Some moms have also said they actually have to leave the house to get their baby to take a bottle. I have to go back to work in three weeks (sob), and Atticus had his first bottle from DH on Saturday night while I ran an errand. I was so sad; I felt like I was betraying him. But DH said he did okay.
Scarlettrose, I can't believe your baby is already 15 pounds! Mama's milk rocks!

#13 ·
Yes, Joaquin is pronounced like the actor, and even though I'd heard the name before I think Joaquin Phoenix helped

How are some of you ladies prepping to go back to work, emotionally I mean. I won't go back until 12 weeks, but he's already 5 and it's causing me so much anxiety already! I nurse him on demand and wear him most of the day, I can't imagine any caregiver giving him near the amount of love and attention I give him. Just writing this is nearly bringing me to tears! I also think the fact that I haven't really found childcare yet is weighing on me. But it's something I'm so dreading I keep procrastinating. Anybody else?

#15 ·
I just started looking for childcare today, we are hiring a nanny. I am trying to make it clear to all the applicants how I want my son cared for. We CD and cosleep, I BF on demand. I am letting the people know that I want his cries responded to immediately and I want him worn in the sling while he naps etc. I live in a crunchy area so I think I'll find what I am looking for. DH is home one day a week, and I am going to work 4 days- so I only need the nanny for 3 days. I have tried to have DH give Quincy a bottle, and he still won't take it. He just gums the nipple then cries. Like he can't figure out what to do with it. I hope he can figure it out before I have to be gone.
I ordered some new bottles online that are supposed to be great for BF babies and a special non toxic plastic. We have been trying glass bottles until now- maybe the new ones with the fancy nipples will help. What kind of childcare are you looking for?

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by katiedidbug View Post
Welcome, mamas! Sarah, I would love tohear more about Sydney. How is she doing? What was it like having a baby so early? Birth story? I'm just so excited that she's doing okay after being 16 weeks early. That's awesome.
She is doing great.
If you click on the journal link in my siggie there are pictures of her!

I'll post the birth story later and more details...

It's good to meet everyone else with November babies!

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
I am letting the people know that I want his cries responded to immediately and I want him worn in the sling while he naps etc. I live in a crunchy area so I think I'll find what I am looking for.
So are you going to tell them that they can't put him down once he's completely asleep? I would maybe give them a little leeway here
As we all know from being mommies, you can be a perfectly attentive caregiver without holding 24/7. Who knows, they might need to go to the bathroom occasionally
Plus, your son could have a day where he just needs his space for a few minutes. My daughter has those days occasionally...

Just my thoughts...I spent three years in college as a nanny so your post jumped out at me

#18 ·
Angelika, I know how sad you are. I am a part time Journalism teacher, and I want to cry at the thought of going back to work. I cannot imagine leaving him; I feel like he's a part of me and that I'm doing him a horrible disservice by leaving. DH will watch him two days a week, and a LLL friend who is also AP will watch him the other three, so that at least makes me feel better. I hope the new bottles help. If not, maybe try a dropper? Atticus was sick and wouldn't nurse, so I had to give him a dropper full of BM a couple of weeks ago.
BathrobeGoddess, welcome!
OT-Does anyone else's baby have a fascination with the computer screen? Atticus loves staring at the laptop screen while I'm typing. I'm sure it's the bright light!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
So are you going to tell them that they can't put him down once he's completely asleep? I would maybe give them a little leeway here
As we all know from being mommies, you can be a perfectly attentive caregiver without holding 24/7. Who knows, they might need to go to the bathroom occasionally
Plus, your son could have a day where he just needs his space for a few minutes. My daughter has those days occasionally...

Just my thoughts...I spent three years in college as a nanny so your post jumped out at me

LOL, I meant most of the time. He can sleep in his bassinet once he is asleep- I just want him to get the same kind of care from the nanny that he would get from me. I was a nanny in college too, and I wouldn't take babies becuase I couldn't do my homework. Seemed they all cried if they you were not holding them.

#21 ·
Hi! I'll join, too. Thanks for starting this thread, katiedidbug. I actually had to read the title a few times and think about whether our baby was born in Nov. of 2006. I am so sleep deprived.

Our son, Carter, was born at home on November 24th. We had our dd in the hospital after a homebirth transfer, so it was really fulfilling to finally have the homebirth we had wanted for so long.

Carter is nursing like a champ and growing like crazy. He'll be 6 weeks on Friday and he's almost 12 pounds. He was 8lbs, 9oz at birth.

It seems like most mamas have had boys so far. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

#22 ·
Hello! I have Carl, born Nov 19th. He was an easy birth on a beautiful day. Water birth with my midwife at a small, rural hospital.

As a baby, Carl is a little crabby! I call him Carl Fusster. He fusses. But being a mom is my full time job, so I'm okay with it.

I have a 2 year old also and right now I'm trying to figure out what the three of us will do to stay busy during the winter months. I have lots I'd like to do, but it's hard to get much done with the two kids!

I worked when my first was a baby and we did have to try a few different nipples for the bottles that dh gave her. It's hard to work when they are little babies, but it gets easier when they are older. Of course, I had quit my 'real' job by the time I learned this and was doing jobs that I could take dd with me. Now I am officially unemployed. We'll see how this goes....

These are my favorite threads, so thanks for starting a Nov. one!!

#24 ·
I had my 6 week apointment with my midwife yesterday and Yarrow is 12lbs, 22 inches long! She's HUGE copared to my other two. She is still gaining almost 2 oz a day. No wonder those new diapes didn't fit a week ago and now fit great!

#25 ·
Hi everyone I'd like to join too! Macy was born Nov. 28. She's smiling and cooing which is sooo cute. My other 2 children LOVE her which is so nice. I'm actually having a bit of a hard time adjusting. I get overwhelmed and feel like I can't take care of my other too like I used too and the baby is really fussy in the evening so I'm glued to the rocker trying to get her to sleep or calm down from about 6-8 p.m. How long do your babies stay awake for during the day? I feel like I've forgotten everything about babies! I'm glad to see you're all doing well. Take care, Katie

#26 ·
nak my dd Awen was born at home on nov 4th. 2 months old already! She is a little peanut and I admit to being jealous of your big 11-12 pounders just because I have been so focused on her slow (but steady) growth. She was born at 8 lbs (18 days past my edd so I sorta graduated from oct to nov) and is now 9lbs 2oz as of the 2nd this month. She has been steadily gaining 2-3 oz a week and has grown in length from 19.5 to 23 inches. I keep track of her diapers like a hawk to make sure there are enough of them (10 or so wet and 1-4 poopy a day) and color. Did I ever think I would be so excited for seedy yellow poop in my whole life
She is holding her head up fairly steady in the past couple weeks and loves to look around. She has been cranky and drooly these past 2 weeks and we wonder if she is teething already. We rub her gums and use hylands teething gel and it seems to help so
She was sleeping for 4-6 hour stretches at night and the past few nights has been up every 2-3 hours. I am tired
but still somewhat functional. I am going back to work part time next week (very open schedule and only 5-10 hrs to start) and am lucky enough to be able to bring her with me. I couldn't bear to leave her so I feel very lucky to have this option available to us. I do leave her with my dh for an hour here and there with ebm so I can have some alone time to work out or nap if I am super zombified. She takes the ebm bottle from him and then wants boob an hour later as she much prefers me over anyone or anything at this point (whew no nipple or bottle problems here) So I am just taking things day by day and loving my sweet baby girl and trying to stay sane. Nice to have you mammas to chat with!
Amber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.