Giving water... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meadow is 5 weeks old and about 11 pounds. I am wondering how much if any water I can have dh give her when I occasionally (once or twice a week) go and run errands for a few hours? I feed her right before I leave the house but sometimes she will just wake up and cry or fuss. I don't want to start pumping because I don't want to increase my supply or pump on a daily basis. The problem is that my dh becomes a nervous wreck when I leave because he does not have any milk and he is not good at comforting her without milk and since she does not get a paci he really prefers that I don't leave the house: I am just so tired of sending him out to run errands and do the shopping because he never gets the right stuff!!

Thanks,
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 09:16 PM

It's not safe to give a baby that young water. If she needs something while you're away it needs to be breastmilk or formula.

-Angela
Old 01-07-2007, 09:20 PM

is there any way to bring the baby with you when you need to shop? Or could you all go a s a family? That way you would be nearby if she needed to nurse. At 5 weeks, babies are still getting used to everything, they really need mama close by.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 PM

I agree with Angela.
Your babe is a little young for you to leave her but if you need to you should pump. I only leave Harvest about once a month and I always pump. It doesnt really effect my milk supply. I would never leave him unless he had a little supply of milk to comfort him and fill his little belly. Its not a big deal for your supply to go up for a couple days if it means that you are making sure your little one is taken care of while you are gone.

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 PM

I've pumped on rare occasions and it did not adversely affect my supply at all and I don't have to pump continuously because of those few times. The few times I did pump made buying the pump totally worth it.

I had been advised against pumping over supply reasons and so put it off for four weeks, and I regret that I put it off for so long. I actually was painfully engorged and my baby had her fill so I pumped just enough to let off some of the pressure, not all the way, and my supply eventually regulated.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 01-07-2007, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Giving water to a baby that young can throw off the balance of her electrolytes and have serious adverse health effects. If you absolutely must leave her and cannot take her along and sling her, you should pump.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 01-07-2007, 10:53 PM

i am wondering why you must leave your child home? but it is always beter to pump and freeze it just to have on hand and if you get in to the habit of just doing it a few times a week there will always be in the freezer while you are out with out dc or in a emergency always nice to know there is some there
Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 PM

Pumping and then feeding the pumped milk wont affect supply...its pumping and storing that can iincrease it...
If you aren't doing a paci, aren't you worried about nipple confusion with the bottle?
I would invest in a sling and take baby with you...
Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 PM

I think it's a good idea to have some ebm on hand just in case you get delayed, that way if she really does end up being hungry, it is there for her. I don't think pumping here and there is going to effect your supply that much. I usually pump once a day after dd goes to bed, and I have a nice stash.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Giving water to a baby that young can throw off the balance of her electrolytes and have serious adverse health effects. If you absolutely must leave her and cannot take her along and sling her, you should pump.
Is it ever a good idea to give a babe under 6 mo water? My ped advised that I should have my mom try not to feed dd right before I pick her up after work so that she would nurse right away. She said it was better to give her a little water to fill her stomach...but so far it hasn't been an issue. Thoughts? She's 3 mo.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Hos View Post
Pumping and then feeding the pumped milk wont affect supply...its pumping and storing that can iincrease it...
If you aren't doing a paci, aren't you worried about nipple confusion with the bottle?
I would invest in a sling and take baby with you...
Remember - if you're out - the baby won't be feeding, so pumping won't be an issue because your breasts will be "missing" a feed. You can always do what I do - pump just before you're going out - and your DH can give baby that bottle. You will essentially be using - a little earlier - the milk your baby would have had - later!

I agree with all of the others! I pump and then it's stored in the fridge (short term) and freezer (long term). I believe (based on past experience) that if you offer a bottle nipple too late (ie. much after 4-5 weeks) it's much harder for the baby to accept it.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynthfair View Post
Is it ever a good idea to give a babe under 6 mo water? My ped advised that I should have my mom try not to feed dd right before I pick her up after work so that she would nurse right away. She said it was better to give her a little water to fill her stomach...but so far it hasn't been an issue. Thoughts? She's 3 mo.
I wouldn't. Perhaps a 4 or 5 month old *tiny* sips for fun, but to fill the belly? No way.

-Angela
Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I wouldn't. Perhaps a 4 or 5 month old *tiny* sips for fun, but to fill the belly? No way.

-Angela
Yeah, I didn't really dig the idea. She likes to wait for me anyway, I think.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone.

I have to say though that I feel like some of you are judging me I do own a sling, actually I own a few. I also own a breast pump. I was not suggesting replacing a feeding with the water, I was just thinking more like giving her an ounce to comfort her if she were to wake up and start crying looking for the comfort of sucking (not out of hunger since I would feed her before I left and be back before her next feeding). I honestly don't even know why I am explaining this

Also, I NEVER asked anyone if they thought it was ok for me to leave my baby at home while I go out and run errands. She would be at home with her father who is a responsible adult. I honestly don't see the problem with that. Yes, I could take her with me, and yes we could all go together but it is cold outside, it is cold and flu season (Meadow already had a bad cold a few weeks ago that lasted 15 days), and taking her with or all going together in the cold would become a long drawn out process and when I have 5 places to run in and out of quicky I don't see how it could be beneficial to drag a 5 week old baby in and out of the car just fo the sake of having her near me when she could be at home warm and well taken care of by her other parent.

I really just wanted to know how much water if any I could give her. I get it that I can't give her any and that is completly fine. A simple "none" would have done. I really didn't need anyone to tell me how they felt about my parenting choices.

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Old 01-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyandelle View Post
I don't see how it could be beneficial to drag a 5 week old baby in and out of the car just fo the sake of having her near me when she could be at home warm and well taken care of by her other parent.

I

If she is hungry and/or crying for you, then she is NOT at home "warm and well taken care of".
Old 01-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyandelle View Post
if she were to wake up and start crying looking for the comfort of sucking (not out of hunger since I would feed her before I left and be back before her next feeding).
I'm guessing you don't want to do a paci, and it sounds like you were thinking of offering water in a bottle so she would be able to suck and get comfort from that? I hope I'm understanding correctly. If you're just looking to let her suck on something for comfort, has your dh tried offering his pinky finger? Turn it so the nail is down so it doesn't scratch the top of her mouth, and that may soothe her sucking needs.

HTH!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
I'm guessing you don't want to do a paci, and it sounds like you were thinking of offering water in a bottle so she would be able to suck and get comfort from that? I hope I'm understanding correctly. If you're just looking to let her suck on something for comfort, has your dh tried offering his pinky finger? Turn it so the nail is down so it doesn't scratch the top of her mouth, and that may soothe her sucking needs.

HTH!
Thank you so much!! That is an excellent suggestion

Amy

Old 01-08-2007, 06:12 PM

The first three months of a baby's life are often called the fourth trimester. They use this time to become aware of the world around them. Developmentally, during this period they still need constant contact with mom. Mom. Not a caregiver- even dad. But mom- the only thing they've known for the last 9 months. That is why very young babies often NEED to be with mom. She doesn't yet understand that mom is a different person. It's as if she woke up and her arms were gone.

-Angela
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 PM

A little EBM goes a long way when mommy is absent.

And, hey, don't let other people's opinions get you down. Do what you need to do for you. You sound like a very attached, attentive mama, and if you need a break for an hour or two, TAKE IT. Beats PPD!

Just don't leave her without anything to eat. Sucking on daddy's finger is all well and good, but at that age, sometimes just a few sips of milk will do the trick immediately. Good luck and take care of yourself.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 PM

I agree. I have no problem with you going out, but I really think you should leave ebm. You can't say that she isn't hungry because even if she just ate, she could be hungry again.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 PM

I would pump some milk before going just in case she gets hungry, and I second the suggestion to let her suck on her dad's finger.
And I don't think it would be too horrible to let her have a pacifier a couple of hours a week, even though I used to be super anti-pacifier before my second child came around. Giving him a pacifier made it easier for his daddy to care for him, and they are so close due to the time they spent together (while I was free to care for my oldest son). I took it away at 11 mos. with no ill effects.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 PM

I think bm would be best to leave for your dc if she will take a bottle, none of mine would but if she will then at least shes still getting mummy milk, you could also take a little blanket to bed with you so it has mummy smell on it then you can leave it with your so he can put over his shoulder whille he feeds her a bottle, this may help to comfort her.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM

OP, ignore the negativity on this thread. I also would not give any water, but I would definitely pump and have EBM for your dh to give her. We have used the Avent bottles and there hasn't been any nipple confusion. She may not take to the bottle right away; usually the best time to introduce it is between 3-4 wks old.

I can understand wanting to run an errand. I also would not have left dd at home with dh quite that early, but if it feels ok to you (mommy-wise) then your babe is just fine with daddy. After all, you know her best.

Julia
dd 9mos
Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
It's not safe to give a baby that young water. If she needs something while you're away it needs to be breastmilk or formula.

-Angela

ITA I know that it changes the childs sodium and potassium levels if they have to much water. I think its called "water toxicity" They get plenty of water from breastmilk. Am I correct ladies?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Yes and water toxicity is very easy for a baby to get even with a tiny amount of water since they are so small.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Ladies, I have removed several posts from the thread. If it was one of yours, I'll PM you.

Two things to note:

1. Please do not use the threads on MDC to go after one another. Take it to PM or, if you feel like a member has violated the User Agreement, report the thread or contact a moderator.
Quote:
Do not start a thread to discuss member behavior or statements of members made in other threads or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread.
User Agreement

2. MDC is an internet discussion board. As such, discussions will occur. Opinions will be shared. This is not judging or attacking; it's the nature of a discussion board.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Amy

User Tag List