Does Your DH (or DP or SO) Babywear? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Does Your DH (or DP or SO) Babywear?
Yep! 65 59.09%
He has before. 25 22.73%
Never. 16 14.55%
Other 4 3.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH does, but I still do most of the baby-handling. We went to a party at his professor's house last Friday & he let it be my night to have fun (since I rarely interact with adults & he does it everyday), and he carried DS in the sling practically the whole night. It was so cute. He zipped his fleece jacket around the both of them to keep them warm & DS was pretty much happy the whole night. It was great.

So how about the rest of you?

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#2 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 02:32 PM

I don't know what my DH has against the sling, but I can't get him to wear it at all. He loves to hold and carry the baby, especially when we go places, but he won't even try the sling. I don't get it, really. It isn't in a pink floral fabric or anything.
#3 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 02:33 PM

my hubby and i used to "argue" about who got to wear shoshanna when we were out and about! he was always quite happy to have her in her baby bjorn. he was very proud to wear his daughter, and encouraged other dads to do the same.
he claims the sling is too hard to understand, but as long as he wears her in SOMETHING, who cares what it is, right?
#4 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 04:19 PM

My dh has before -- and could conceiveably do it more often, but I tend to hog all the fun baby stuff! : oops! I am trying to remember to not automatically do everything -- to give Tim a chance to do it! He is pretty good at entertaining him & changing him, etc.. I just forget after I've been doing it all day that now I can get help! lol
#5 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Absolutely! When we had twins, we HAD to baby wear (I didn't like the stroller when it was two of us!) and when DS3 was born, we were veterans. Also, since we had 17 month old twins at the time, it was smart to wear DS3. He loved the sling untill he learned to walk. Now the sling is good only untill he decides its ENOUGH! He's a walkin' man. With DS1, I was an uneducated momma. Now, I'd like to think I've got it under control for any possible future babies....
#6 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 07:53 PM

Yes! And it's great. He even picked out fabric for his own sling, lol. When we spent a week in San Francisco he slung Emi for the better part of the week~up and down all those hills!

Jennifer
#7 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 08:11 PM

He wore the Maya wrap a few times when we went to NYC. Never has since then though.
#8 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 10:14 PM

My dh won't use the sling either - says its too feminine. But he loves the Baby Bjorn. It doesn't bother his shoulders even though our son weighs 22 lbs. When we spend the day together, dh usually carries him in the Bjorn all day to give me a break!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#9 of 44 Old 05-09-2003, 10:24 PM

yep, he wore her at the bob dylan concert last night, too cute

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#10 of 44 Old 05-10-2003, 12:22 AM

Gr8fulMom, how was Dylan and did Dylan like it?

Funny - my DH likes the Maya wrap. Cole was at an inbetween stage where the wrap wasn't working anymore, so we mainly have carried him around in-arms. We both do it. I tried the toddler-carry in the MW on him this afternoon and it worked pretty well, though. DH thought that was cool - he'll probably use it again soon.
#11 of 44 Old 05-10-2003, 02:54 AM

I answered yep even though the baby isn't here yet. He already has a daughter and he wore her in a sling when she was a wee thing.

He's very excited about babywearing, he absolutely loves it.

I am going to make him a sling out of really cool skull fabric for father's day.
#12 of 44 Old 05-10-2003, 11:40 AM

He won't wear the pouch or the sling, but loves carrying Aaron in the Bjorn!

Kristin
Mama to Aaron, 1/26/03
#13 of 44 Old 05-10-2003, 03:31 PM

My dh is babywearing right now. He takes dd in her sling for a walk every day. It's the only way she gets a good nap. She also naps better for him...perhaps because she knows she can't nurse.

Anyway, I'd have gone crazy with my colicy baby if it wasn't for him and all the babywearing he's done.
#14 of 44 Old 05-10-2003, 05:12 PM

My dh wears ds in the sling sometimes. Usually if it's both of us in public, he carries dd and I sling ds.

He used to wear dd in the Baby Bjorn when she was smaller!
#15 of 44 Old 05-12-2003, 03:44 PM

Dp wears dd as often as I do, maybe more even. usually if we go for a walk he wears her, nowadays in the hip hamock, but he usedthe sling a bunch too.

This isn't why he does it (i hope!!) but guys wearing babies is a major chick magnet. Those of you who's dps won't do it, maybe that'll encourge them! Dp always gets checked out when he's wearing dd!
#16 of 44 Old 05-12-2003, 04:03 PM

We're not parents yet, so I can't report on real experience, but we've talked about it. I have back problems, so I think DP will wear our babies as much as possible, especially when we're out walking around. He's excited about it!

We both do not like the "baby SUVs" (as we call the travel systems) that obstruct pedestrian traffic at the mall. He always points out parents using a Baby Bjorn and says "let's get something like that." Unfortunately, we don't see very many parents using slings here (in St. Louis).

I'm very glad that I will have his help with babywearing, as I don't think I'll be able to do it myself as much as I'd like.

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
#17 of 44 Old 05-12-2003, 11:12 PM

DH slings and loves it but the problem is my sling does not fit him too well. I am a medium sized woman and short, and he is a tall and large man. Any suggestions for a big daddy sling other that a custom deal?
#18 of 44 Old 05-13-2003, 09:23 PM

Mama Kass - I find a large size maya wrap will fit a large man and then easily adjust down to a medium size woman, allowing both people to use the same sling on an outing.
#19 of 44 Old 05-14-2003, 12:05 PM

I don't know what dh has against it. He keeps telling me he doesn't like the carriers. That is OK, I just keep on buying more until he finds one he likes. We are up to 7 carriers, and I love them all!!
#20 of 44 Old 05-14-2003, 12:11 PM

The sling gave my husband the opportunity to participate in parenting our daughter in a way that would not have been possible otherwise, I think. The only way she would go to sleep for the first year is to nurse or walk in the sling. On those long nights with a sick baby, we took turns with her in the sling for two hours at a time. In here mind, we were the same comfort. That took such a load off of me.

They have this wonderful, cuddly relationship that just makes me gush with love. And it only took a couple of weeks before my husband decided that he didn't like my padded sling, and he went and got himself a more manly Maya Wrap.

He liked the Bjorn, too, but it got uncomfortable at about 15 lbs. Now he loves the Ergo.

Loooooove slinging husband . . .

Vesta
#21 of 44 Old 05-16-2003, 12:11 AM

Our baby isn't born yet, but I have been talking to my husband about buying a Baby Bjorn because he is completely blind and I think he would be more comfortable and confident with a carrier instead of a sling. He said he didn't want to carry a baby on his back while he did things. I said "no you carry them in front on your chest." He said" Oh ok, as long as I can smooch on her and snuggle with her and hug her and smell her little head then I'll carry her in anything." I thought that was so sweet. It just melted my heart.

Gossamer

p.s. I voted Other because shmoopy is not born yet.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#22 of 44 Old 05-18-2003, 04:41 AM

Quote:
He said" Oh ok, as long as I can smooch on her and snuggle with her and hug her and smell her little head then I'll carry her in anything." I thought that was so sweet. It just melted my heart.

awww that is precious!

Our baby just arrived and next paycheck I am going to get some really cool fabric to make my own maya wrap!
#23 of 44 Old 05-18-2003, 11:38 AM

Congrats on your new lil one and your homebirth BloodRayne!
#24 of 44 Old 05-20-2003, 10:13 AM

I finally got my Maya Sling the other day and I was so very excited...brought thome to hubby and his response??????? "why did you spend $40.00 on a curtain" I could have cried. So, I will wear the baby and he will simply carry the baby. I think he prefers this anyway! Also, my baby loves his stroller. I just feel so bad for putting him in it! I want him to be next to me!
#25 of 44 Old 05-20-2003, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Justice2
I finally got my Maya Sling the other day and I was so very excited...brought thome to hubby and his response??????? "why did you spend $40.00 on a curtain" I could have cried. So, I will wear the baby and he will simply carry the baby. I think he prefers this anyway! Also, my baby loves his stroller. I just feel so bad for putting him in it! I want him to be next to me!
Isn't that so like a man to think of it as a curtain?! LOL :LOL

Men! :
#26 of 44 Old 05-20-2003, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by heytootsy
I don't know what dh has against it. He keeps telling me he doesn't like the carriers. That is OK, I just keep on buying more until he finds one he likes. We are up to 7 carriers, and I love them all!!

IMHO, there's no feeble excuse for collecting baby carriers! Hey, there are worse addictions. Plus, this stuff has excellent resale value on eBay. I have many, many ways of justifying my large collection, not the least of which is that 10 mo. Carter doesn't like to get down, ever, for any reason, even for a minute.

computergeek2.gif

#27 of 44 Old 05-26-2003, 04:53 PM

YES!!!!!! He tried it for the first time yesterday and is hooked! I actually went grocery shopping today for the 1st time since she was born, by myself!!!!! It has made me fall deeper in love with him seeing him wearing her.

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#28 of 44 Old 05-29-2003, 04:22 PM

DH is the SAHP and has become a champion babywearer. He is way better at the Maya wrap than I am (I am okay with the pouch but terrible with anything that requires adjusting!) and she takes 95 percent of her naps on him, in the sling. We just got back from a trip involving a plane flight and he carried her in the sling through the airport (with a little "Fragile" sticker on the front - very cute). Everyone we meet thinks it's really cool and no one has said he looks "girly" (both of our slings are blue - I bought non-girly colors on purpose when i thought he might not want to babywear).

It's awesome!

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#29 of 44 Old 06-08-2003, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to see so many Babywearin' hubands (and partners) out there! I'm always trying to obligate my DH to childcare & remind him that he's not "babysitting". It's good to have the sling for this when we're out & about.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#30 of 44 Old 06-16-2003, 12:00 AM

dh is really into the whole ap thing, but he won't wear her. he doesn't trust the sling i think. however, he _won't_ put her down. her prefers to carry her everywhere, and won't even put her in a highchair at restaraunts, unless she's going to be eating more than a little snack and getting messy.

peace :hippy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page