My 5.5 month old is straining to poop. Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-14-2007, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the past 3 weeks or so, her pooping habits have shifted so that she's now a one poop a day girl (occasionally two). She hasn't pooped yet today and she's grunting and straining and generally acting uncomfortable. We've been bicycling her legs and playing in ways that put gentle pressure on her tummy, like "wearing her" on our heads.

She's still exclusively BF, no formula or solids. She's been nursing like normal and I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary. I know it's normal for the pooping to slow down at this age and they definitely don't have to poop daily but she's not a comfy girl right now. What can I do to make her more comfortable? I'm going to try taking her in the tub with me to see if that will relax her and help move things along, but if that doesn't work, could I try giving her a bit of prune juice? Any other suggestions?

Oh, and not sure if this is relevant, but her bottom two teeth just popped through a couple days ago. She was a total trooper and I was under the impression that she wouldn't have teething discomfort once they came through anyway. Maybe not?

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#2 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 AM

Ugh, I've had NON STOP problems with my dd's bowels. She was exclus. BF as well. The bicycle move is great to help...Although My babe literally could not get it out...it was like giving birth for her. So what worked for me was, getting an Q-tip and dipping it in vasoline. I would first rub it around her anus, then rub it around the inside...kind of like lubing it up. THis helped her soooo much. Although, when she got older this didn't even work anymore. I then got the liquid suppository, which helped again. I still have to give it to her now and then. It's crazy what she will poop out. I must warn you though...it was just awful to watch. She would be in SOOOO much pain. My hubby would hold her and sing...while I was on the other end with the Q-tip. ALso...after the big mass comes out... be careful because usually there is a wet load backed up in her. Sorry this post is so gross...but it's soooo serious.
#3 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 04:39 AM

My ped suggested watered down prune juice. I didn't do it though because my ds was only a few weeks old at the time. But since your baby is over 5mo, it seems like it would be ok in small amounts.

I did end up using the glycerin suppositories I couple times. I just held onto it and only inserted it a little bit (I hear that some people cut them in half). It helps within minutes, you just don't want to do it too often, some people have said that baby can become dependent on the help.
#4 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 10:05 AM

My dd didn't ever get constipated until I gave her some solids, but flax oil fixed it right up. I would stir it into her food, like a teaspoon.

If you give her watere down prune juice, add a teaspoon to that. It is tasteless and won't bother her. Try that before doing the other options since it is just easier.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#5 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 AM

The prune juice might give her painful gas. Try the flax seed oil. Maybe put some in a bottle with some EBM or into a dropper.

Flax seeds are so wonderful and healthy, and they fix those bowels right up!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#6 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM

You may want to try eliminating things from your diet...my fav thing to eliminate is MILK!
My ds was a different baby after milk left my system--takes like 2-3wks...
#7 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 12:06 PM

Are you drinking enough water? That can totally affect baby's BMs.

With due respect to the PP who recommeded this: I wouldn't use vaseline or a q-tip at all -- not only is vaseline petroleum, but the anal area is very tender and you could do injury if baby were to shift suddenly.

Watered down organic prune juice worked for us in the past on rare occasion. But I'd look at your own diet and start eliminating things that could be problematic.

It's tough to have a child whose feeling uncomfortable, but as long as the BMs are still liquidy from EBF, then I wouldn't use anything on her -- just look at my own diet and up my water intake.

Sorry your wee one's having issues.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page