egg yolk, liver and meat for 6 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Weston A. Price Foundation recommends egg yolk, raw liver and meat for a 6 month old instead of cereal? It is so different from the mainstream nutrition guide. I was leaning toward vegetarianism, but this website makes me want to meat and fat more. Is the foundation reputable? I agree that a lot of traditional food like bone broth, fermented vegetables are very healthy.

Here is the article for baby nutrition.
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html

What did you feed your baby at 6 month? Anyone found adverse effects?
#2 of 34 Old 01-16-2007, 04:10 AM

Here's an article from La Leche League on the topic of introducing meat as an early food.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Jan00p130.html
#3 of 34 Old 01-16-2007, 04:21 AM

We didn't do liver because we keep kosher andI haven't been able to find any kosher organic liver...

We do give them meat and egg yolks and they enjoy it a lot. We didn't start until 7 months, though and very slowly. Actually a stripped chicken bone is an excellent teether!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#4 of 34 Old 01-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
What did you feed your baby at 6 month?
Breastmilk. No solids introduced until after a year old.
#5 of 34 Old 01-16-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid View Post
Actually a stripped chicken bone is an excellent teether!

my mom used to let us chew/suck on pork chop bones, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#6 of 34 Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 PM

BM here too at 6 mths. We are doing fruits and veggies, and cheerio like foods now. I would never consider giving my child liver, even an older baby/child. Other meats though, I'd consider giving sometime b/w 9-12 mths IF the child was into it.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#7 of 34 Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
i would NOT give egg yolk or raw meat to a six month old. i also wouldn't give cereal.
When would you give cooked egg yolk?

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#8 of 34 Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 AM

I did do this with my last child. The egg yolk - she wasn't interested in the liver.

The idea about enzymes of infants is very important. Infants don't have the enzymes to break down grains and veg/fruits of all types. The egg yolk warmed retains its enzymes making it actually digestable and therefore usable.
#9 of 34 Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 AM

I don't think the WAPF is reputable. I researched them and they a) totally unqualified to give nutritional advice and b) to go against everything that I believe to be well backed scientific proof on human nutrition.

However, I think egg yolk and meat are fine foods for beginner solids. My sons are vegetarian for ethical reasons (I eat meat, but I think the decision is one that should be made by someone who's informed on the issues-- at least to the point of knowing that their food was once a living animal-- I've given the choice to my oldest son and he's chosen vegetarianism for himself), but they do eat eggs and I gave my littlest egg yolk around 6-7 mos. If we ate meat I would give it to a baby.
#10 of 34 Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
i would NOT give egg yolk or raw meat to a six month old. i also wouldn't give cereal.
: My kids have always started with bananas, avocados, peas, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, pears, etc. I, personally, don't think WAP nutritional info is healthy, but I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't think it's healthy for babies. Sears has pretty good nutrition info for children. Children don't need meat or eggs to be healthy at all, but if they are going to be given those things I really don't think they should be given them at 6 months.
#11 of 34 Old 01-17-2007, 02:08 AM

It's not only WAPF that suggests feeding egg yolks and meat to young babies... for example the article I quoted above wasn't from WAPF, it was from La Leche League.

Personally I think that it's fine to feed egg yolks and meats to a young baby who is starting solids, and I think it is also fine to just feed vegetables and fruits. Solids shouldn't be a major part of a young baby's diet, so you're not really choosing first solids for their nutritional content anyway.
#12 of 34 Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 AM

I don't think much of Weston Price foundation, some strange ideas I think.

I do think egg yolk, liver and meat are healthy though but I wouldn't give them at 6 months old.

I gave egg yolk (cooked but still runny) at 9 mo. My kids wouldn't eat it well cooked. It had to be runny enough to dip toast in. I also made custard with egg yolks, and they could drink that.

I wouldn't do the raw liver because liver is something you want to be especially pure and healthy.

I did do meat purees and bone stocks. Bones simmered more than 24 hours with vinegar added to leach out more calcium. I used this broth to thin out baby food. I pureed the meat.

Lamb is a very low allergenic meat and you can buy healthy NZ or Australian lamb in the USA. Whole Foods also sells lamb from Iceland. We were given lamb chop bones to chew on as babies in Australia - good teethers

Pork is highly allergenic. I wouldn't give that to a baby. I did turkey and chicken also and beef later on. While avoiding pork, I think any meat is ok but make sure it's organic or from a good source.
#13 of 34 Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
I don't think the WAPF is reputable. I researched them and they a) totally unqualified to give nutritional advice and b) to go against everything that I believe to be well backed scientific proof on human nutrition.
I agree. I am also a long-term vegetarian for ethical and health reasons. Despite all that, however, if you do eat meat, I do think that organic meat (or virtually any whole food that is not highly allergenic) is probably a lot healthier for a baby than rice cereal, which is about as nutritious as library paste. 6 months does seem early to me, but I guess it would depend on the baby. My babe is nearly 8 months and so far she has eaten 1) breastmilk and 2) cardboard (although #2 wasn't intentional on our part ).
#14 of 34 Old 01-17-2007, 01:32 PM

BM only!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#15 of 34 Old 01-17-2007, 07:35 PM

I actually like a lot of what the WAPF has to say. I don't agree with it all, but I don't agree with any group or person 100%. However, I didn't start DS on meat until he was 9 months old. And even then, he only had it twice before I waited another month to give him more. I did try egg yolk around 7.5 months, but he didn't like it. He's only now showing interest in it. I can't do the liver. It just makes me cringe remembering my mother giving it to me as a kid. Blech. I personally think well-cooked, organic or naturally raised meats are fine for first foods.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#16 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

What about cod liver oil? The foundation recommends it to a baby after 4 months.
#17 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 AM

I gave dd egg yolk for the first time today, and she loved it! Now I'm wondering if I should have given it to her!!
She's 9 months and gets a ton of bm so I'm sure it's probably fine

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#18 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 04:41 AM

OK I am sorry but this thread is completely making my head hurt. : RAW liver? You know what, if I wouldn't eat it, I sure as hell am not going to feed it to my baby. I actually enjoy cooked liver, but refrained from eating it during pregnancy because even organic liver has concentrated toxins in it--the liver is a filter, whatever is in the animal's environment gets processed through the liver.

And teething on chicken bones? I'm pretty sure that is a REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA. You know, vets go to great pains to make sure you know not to leave chicken bones where cats or dogs can get them. If they break a bone in two they can choke and get their esophogas lacerated by the bone shards. It can be fatal. Giving a chicken bone to a baby to teeth on??? I'll just pretend that's a joke. A sick, messed up joke.
#19 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 10:01 AM

I do not think the WAPF is reputable either. With the exception of staying away from processed foods in general (which is good advice no matter what diet you follow), their advice goes against almost everything science has shown to prevent disease.
Your baby doesn't NEED anything but breastmilk right now. If you WANT to introduce solids, I'd personally start with healthy fats like avocado, or organic fruits and veggies.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#20 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
What about cod liver oil? The foundation recommends it to a baby after 4 months.
How about breastmilk instead? Much healthier than fish oil containing many possible toxins. Just make sure that YOU are getting ample omega-3 fatty acids in your own diet.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#21 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 10:17 AM

What did you feed your baby at 6 month?

We fed them anything we ate, no restrictions. Went to table food and didn't waste time with expensive jarred/baby food.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#22 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
And teething on chicken bones? I'm pretty sure that is a REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA. You know, vets go to great pains to make sure you know not to leave chicken bones where cats or dogs can get them. If they break a bone in two they can choke and get their esophogas lacerated by the bone shards. It can be fatal.
Although it never would have occurred to me to let my child teethe on a bone, I don't think it would hurt anything.

Yes, dogs and cats can break bones and choke on them. Dogs and cats have teeth and jaws that are designed to crush bone, since they actually eat bones in the wild (raw bones are flexible and don't normally splinter). People do not have these teeth. Especially infants, who hardly have any teeth at all other than the odd incisor.

I highly doubt that I could even crush a wing bone without feeling pain from it.
#23 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
OK I am sorry but this thread is completely making my head hurt. : RAW liver? You know what, if I wouldn't eat it, I sure as hell am not going to feed it to my baby. I actually enjoy cooked liver, but refrained from eating it during pregnancy because even organic liver has concentrated toxins in it--the liver is a filter, whatever is in the animal's environment gets processed through the liver.

And teething on chicken bones? I'm pretty sure that is a REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA. You know, vets go to great pains to make sure you know not to leave chicken bones where cats or dogs can get them. If they break a bone in two they can choke and get their esophogas lacerated by the bone shards. It can be fatal. Giving a chicken bone to a baby to teeth on??? I'll just pretend that's a joke. A sick, messed up joke.

The 'if I wouldn't eat it, I'm not going to feed it to my baby' line of thinking annoys me because this is the same reasoning used by moms who eat crap food. I know one mom who doesn't eat fresh fruit, so guess what, she doesn't feed it to her baby either. Baby gets tinned fruits. Because when mom buys fresh fruits, they go off (lol, you know because she doesn't eat them : )

While living in other countries, I've come to appreciate all the interesting foods they feed babies. Each culture has its own special baby foods that ensure baby gets enough nutrients. In Denmark they give that dark rye bread cooked in dark beer (low alcohol that cooks off anyway so it's not alcoholic). It's very high in B vitamins. But ask any non Danish mom if they'll feed that to their baby and it's no way.

I'm also not confident enough about food sources to eat liver much these days.

I've always heard the same thing about chicken bones, don't give them to dogs or babies because they are too soft. They will crumble when chewed on. Probably depends on the cooking method - a slow cooked or roasted chicken is going to have softer bones than a quickly fried piece of chicken.

And pork is one of the most highly allergenic meats, so I'd be careful about using pork bones.
#24 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 AM

Dr. Sears recommends a chicken leg bone for teething.
http://www.parenting.com/parenting/b...646747,00.html
Quote:
Gum-soothing favorites are a cool spoon, popsicle, frozen bagel, teething ring, and, a favorite Sears family teether, a chicken leg bone stripped of the tiny bone slivers.
I feed my dogs raw chicken (bones included, because they are very nutritious, and very safe until cooked). I watch them crunch leg bones every day. There is no way a child could even begin to break one. They're very hard.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#25 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried giving a cooked chicken leg bone to my baby. She loves it, and won't let it go. But I was concerned about chocking because she can get the brown stuff out of the bone even if she doesn't have teeth yet. I don't see how it can be safe.
#26 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Raw liver sounds disgusting, but I love cooked liver with onions and gravy. I was practically born with sardines in my mouth, so I think my tastes might be different from other people. I gave my DD lots of foods at 6 months. Whatever I ate, I let her have a little. She's 21 months now and she still thinks that my plate is hers. We don't have any allergies, and we eat everything. So she equally loves kale and porkchops, brown rice and beans, chocolate and butter cookies. I'm happy to have a toddler who is not a picky eater at all. My concern was always whether DC can swallow the food, so if you were to offer liver (for the iron I guess?), make a soupy pate. Anything is better than jar food. Yuck!
#27 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tadpoles View Post
Especially infants, who hardly have any teeth at all other than the odd incisor.

I highly doubt that I could even crush a wing bone without feeling pain from it.
Our 5 month old has 5 teeth. He has drawn blood biting our fingers on a few occasions and left bruises. We don't eat meat, but if we did I'd be nervous about the choking issue as well. But then one of my sisters almost died from choking on a chicken bone, so I guess I'm biased!

#28 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post

I think for ideal health a baby should be exclusively breastfed for at least six months if not longer.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#29 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 02:00 PM

veganf, what kind of chicken bone? A leg bone? I don't doubt you, I just am having a hard time visualizing how someone would choke on something 4-5 inches long and straight.

sora, how does she get the marrow out? Leg bones are closed on both ends. I would think it'd be fine for her to eat the marrow... I have little experience with that though; does it come out in big chokable chunks?

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#30 of 34 Old 01-22-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
The 'if I wouldn't eat it, I'm not going to feed it to my baby' line of thinking annoys me because this is the same reasoning used by moms who eat crap food. I know one mom who doesn't eat fresh fruit, so guess what, she doesn't feed it to her baby either. Baby gets tinned fruits. Because when mom buys fresh fruits, they go off (lol, you know because she doesn't eat them : )
No, I don't eat "crap foods" and don't worry, I'm not afraid of vegetables or fruit. It's raw organ meats that give me the willies. Granted that's partially cultural, but it's also based on what I said about livers containing concentrated amounts of toxins.

I think that feeding your baby what you eat is completely reasonable and logical. The baby is part of your culture, not somebody else's. My culture includes beets, rutubagas, and carrots but it does not include raw organ meats, shards of animal bone, or caterpillars among its traditionally accepted foods.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page