i just sent a letter to the pediatrician - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when i went for our six month appt and shots (yes I choose to vax) they gave me a routine sheet of paper that they give to everyone about the child's current age and what to expect. Like starting solids, milestones, etc. This time, on the sheet for 6 months olds, it suggested that you let your child CIO. That they wont cry long and if you put it off it will only get worse as they grow older. I CANNOT belive THIS!! to talk to parents about it is one thing, but to put it in writing and hand it out to every parent that walks in the door is ludicrous. I was livid but did not have any references to back me up so I said nothing. I came home and looked up all the threads/articles about cio and printed off three of them to mail with my letter. I am begging them to reconsider what they hand out. If they just didnt commment on it, it would be better. I really like that doc, her bedside manner is great, she listened to my concerns about vaxing and did NOT push me into them. She caught my son's pyloric stenosis at 3 weeks when most babes dont get diagnosed until 6-8 weeks. I am so sad. I hope she reads the articles and changes her practice. I am not leaving her yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 PM

Our ped hands out stuff like that, too. When you talk to them in person, they are usually very supportive of whatever you want to do, but the info they hand out has some bad information! Every visit, you get a little sheet with a photo of your baby and his/her stats, then "advice" about sleeping, feeding, etc. I just ignore the advice.....

Good for you for writing a letter!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:02 PM

Not as bad as CIO, but the 2-month sheet from my Pedi (who we LOVE) said that we should start giving bottles for some feedings if we were bf'ing. UM? What's wrong with the natural delivery system that God gave me? And why exactly SHOULD I?

Those things are rubbish!

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:33 PM

Yep-they should change the info that they give out and make sure to give parents information about the negative effects of CIO-and Vaccinations as well!

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 PM

I am pretty sure that pediatricians belong to a service that prints those stupid sheets. I highly doubt that my pediatrician has even read all the sheets. Of course there is still no excuse...
Old 01-17-2007, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I totally understand. Pedi's come up with some pretty wacked out advise.

My pedi (6 mo appt was a week ago) told me that I needed to start DS on solids and a sippy cup or I would miss the window of opportunity. I almost laughed visualizing an adult DS going off to college with all his suitcases and a bunch of bottles cuz he never learned to feed himself/drink from a cup.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Good for you. It's possible your Pedi didn't even know that was on there so it's good you brought it to her attention. It sounds like you really like her and feel like she listens to you so maybe she will stop those pamphlets.
On a side note, my DS had Pyloric Stenosis at 3 weeks old, too. It took THREE visits over 4 days before someone believed me that something was wrong. :

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
I totally understand. Pedi's come up with some pretty wacked out advise.

My pedi (6 mo appt was a week ago) told me that I needed to start DS on solids and a sippy cup or I would miss the window of opportunity. I almost laughed visualizing an adult DS going off to college with all his suitcases and a bunch of bottles cuz he never learned to feed himself/drink from a cup.
That is a hilarious image, I picture the title of this image saying, "well you should have given that sippy!"

User Tag List