what did your 9-12mo eat today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious to have something to compare my nearly 10 mo DD's daily diet to. I used to worry she wasn't eating enough and now I'm worried that I'm giving her too much. She still breastfeeds 4-5 times a day but is also on 3 solid meals a day. Breakfast is usually 4 Tb of oatmeal and half a banana, lunch is a piece of toast/wholemeal pita/rice cakes, a single veg like carrots or broccoli, and a bit of yogurt, and dinner is a vegetable/protein mixture like sweet potato with chicken or fish with potatoes and peas and fruit, usually pears, apples or avocados.

Does that sound about right or is it too much? Her weight has always been on the low side, even though she was a big baby at birth (9 lb. 1 oz) and I've gotten grief from my doc to get her back to her 'regular' centile on the growth chart, but I don't want to overfeed her solids just to bulk her up or anything. I would never do it consciously but I wonder if my subconscious is allowing me to think she needs more food than she does. She was losing or simply maintaining her weight for quite awhile but suddenly she gained almost 2 lbs in 2 weeks and her appetite seems to be ravenous.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 AM

Personally, I think it sounds fine. That is, if she is nursing a good amount those 4 or 5x a day. My DS does not get that much food a day though, and nurses about 5x a day. It depends what I offer him, and he self feeds (is she self feeding?).
He gets a fruit for breakfast (apples, pears, pineapple, grapefruit, etc.)
Lunch is a ricecake (small one), maybe some O's, sometimes yogurt or cheese
And at dinner whatever we are eating, some veggie and meat

But we don't usually hit all 3 meals every day to be honest. He's also been sick for a week, but when healthy eats a lot more.

So i think you're ok if she is still nursing a good amount, and is self feeding. She'll let ya know!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 AM

My dd will be one this Sunday. Yesterday she ate some oatmeal for breakfast (she self-feeds - so it wasn't much as she isn't very good with the spoon yet). She slept through lunch. She ate a blueberry as a snack. At dinnertime, she had a couple pieces of califlower and some spinach. She still nurses every 1 1/2 hours or so.

There's such a wide range of normal on what babies eat. My kids have not been interested in solids until they were over a year. It sounds like you're offering your dd healthy foods. Is she feeding herself or are you feeding her?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 AM

That sounds like a lot to me. If you're worried about her weight, I would offer the breast more often. Also, allow her to self-feed as PP said. That way, you won't have to worry about how much she's eating b/c she'll only feed herself exactly what she needs!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

She self-feeds about 70% of the time but I still spoon feed her some of her vegetables and runnier stuff like yogurt because otherwise she doesn't eat it. How does a baby self-feed runny stuff?

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Ds is 10.5 mo. Yesterday he ate the following:
Breastmilk
Water
Cheerios (40-50 O's I'm guessing)
1/3 to 1/2 a Bananna

He usually only nurses 5-6 times a day too, but more at night, another 3-6 times depending on the night.

He doesn't eat nearly the solids some babies do, and he doesn't nurse as often as others (3-4 hours during the day). But, he's maintaining his 21lbs pretty well so I figure whatever he's doing is right for him. If your Dc is happily eating that much without you spoon feeding or coaxing "one more bite" then I wouldn't worry.

If you can't not worry then try not offering solids for a day, or a few meals, and see what happens. Is she really upset and distraught, does she not really notice much, does she up her breastmilk intake? But I would only do this to satisfy my curiousity, not because I think reducing her solids is necessary.

Self-feeding runny foods? I put things like yogurt on the spoon myself and hand it to Ds who is in charge of getting it where he wants it: in his mouth, the floor, his hair, to touch with his fingers. He hasn't had a problem getting the spoin into his mouth since he started.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
That sounds like a lot to me. If you're worried about her weight, I would offer the breast more often. Also, allow her to self-feed as PP said. That way, you won't have to worry about how much she's eating b/c she'll only feed herself exactly what she needs!
:

Actually, one of the first things a mother should do if her baby's weight gain has decreased is cut back on solids and increase nursing. Breast milk has a higher fat and calorie content than solids. Kellymom.com states, regarding increasing a baby's weight gain:

Stop or decrease

solid foods, particularly if baby is younger than 6 months. Most solids foods have fewer calories and nutrients than breastmilk, plus they tend to replace (rather than add to) the higher-calorie, more nutritious breastmilk.
That source also states:
Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most baby-safe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby. In addition, starting solids will quite possibly reduce the amount of milk that your baby is getting overall, rather than increase overall intake. One of the first recommendations for a baby who genuinely has slow weight gain is to decrease or eliminate solid foods and nurse more often.

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids.

Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later. My little girl is still 98% breastfed at 13 months. Her typical solid intake is something like 5 garbanzo beans and one broccoli floret a day ... many days she's not interested in the solids I offer her at all. That's it. But every baby is different. I think allowing your little one to self-feed is an excellent idea to help him regulate her intake to exactly what she needs. Nursing will make up for the rest and breast milk will provide the perfect nutrition.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 PM

mine is 9 mo., was 6 lbs, 4 oz at birth and is still small, at 15.15 lbs at 9 mo. appt. yesterday. she's 27.75 inches long.
i nurse her at least 8 times a day.
she self feeds and eats a ton. people on this posting might be shocked at the quantity. we just had breakfast which included oatmeal, banana, blueberries, plum, sweet potato and broccoli. lunch is about the same, as is dinner. once in awhile we have meat and bread, too. always the vegetables. she loves loves broccoli.
i co-sleep and she nurses all night too.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 PM

My 11 month old loves food, but he doesn't eat much of it. Today he's had a few bites of banana, some blueberries, a couple bites of sweet potato and half a date. He'll have a few bites of chicken and broccoli for dinner. That's not many calories at all. Some days he eats more, some days less. He still bfs mostly. He was 19 lbs. 9oz. 4 weeks ago; it put him in the 25th percentile. His pedi wasn't the least bit concerned.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
Old 01-23-2007, 09:23 PM

Nine month old dd loves food. She feeds herself, will not be spoon fed, which is fine with me. This morning she had about a quarter of a banana, and a few bites of homemade bread with butter and jam.
She breastfed about three times (after a long morning session before we got out of bed).
For dinner she will probably have a few bites of the pasta I plan to make.
Last night, she really dug the pad thai noodles I gave her.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:37 PM

Holden is 11 months and a week and formula fed. A typical day for him:

Breakfast: 1/3 banana, small waffle, 4oz cup of yogurt (choose 2 of 3 items)
Mid-morning snack: 2-3 oz formula
Lunch: approx 4oz fruit, some small organic crackers, a few bites of cheese
Naptime bottle: approx 6oz formula
Late afternoon snack: 2-3 oz formula
Dinner: approx 4oz veggies, bits and pieces from our dinner, crackers
Bedtime bottle: 6-8 oz formula (varies upon how much dinner he had)
Overnight bottle: 8oz formula (spread over 2-3 wakings)

Wow, writing it all out it seems like a lot, but he eats as much or as little as he wants. I do feed him some puree stuff : as he seems to like it usually, and when he self-feeds, I let him eat what he wants. When he starts to play with it or throw it on the floor, I take that as a cue he is done and we stop giving him more. We weighed him about three weeks ago and he was about 21lbs.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Breastmilk..........thats it. I've been thinking about this a bunch lately. He will chew on a cracker or bread but eventually gets a too big piece in his mouth and chokes. he even chokes on applesauce when i have tried it before. we have tried a lot but he doesnt actually eat any of it. he is a big boy so i dont think it matters yet. he is almost 9 months

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
Old 01-23-2007, 11:30 PM

DD is 10.5 months, and all she has eaten today is breastmilk--and lots of it!

We have given her some solids, but only a few times a week and really only "tastes"--we're still working through the list to make sure she doesn't have any allergic reactions.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 AM

DS is 8.5 months old (will be 9 months on Feb 10) and today he had breastmilk... thats all lol.. some days he will eat a few bites of a fruit or veggie but its rare... and he plays with food on his tray sometimes while we eat dinner lol....
Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 AM

My son is 10 months and 24 days old he weighs 25lbs and hes 75cm tall

This morning he had 6oz formula
Then he had a rice cake and a piece of cheese
Then around noon he had about a chicken nugget and a half and a whole yogurt
then 1 hour later he had 3 ozs formula
Afternoon he had another 6oz bottle
dinner was chicken and potatoes and carrots
and before bed a 6oz bottle
Old 01-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
but suddenly she gained almost 2 lbs in 2 weeks and her appetite seems to be ravenous.
Growth spurt!

You sound like you have great instincts, and as long as you're offering her breastmilk, I think she'll follow her own path toward calories and food choices. You're feeding her great, healthy foods--be thankful that you have such a healthy eater!

And don't worry about pediatrician weight stuff...she'll gain weight just as she should, in her own time, in her own way.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 01-24-2007, 04:00 PM

DDs are 9 months and yesterday had about 30 ounces of formula each and half a container of plain goat's milk yogurt combined.

Today is farmers' market day so they will have a bunch of samples there and have already had some cheese. I'll offer them some chicken later tonight when we eat.

I noticed that my biggest eater (dd3) also seemed to have a big jump in her intake when she started solids. I asked here, but the replies were pretty much that it was a coincidence tied to her age and a probable growth spurt. She did get taller..I've got to let down the hem on her longies!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 01-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Travis is 9 months and eats a jar or home made equal to a jar of fruit in the morning and the same amount of veggies in the afternoon. 5-6 table spoons of fruit cereal at night. Nurses at least 6-7 times a day. Some days he gets about 10 cheerios or some veggies or fruit off my plate. He is 18 pounds and 29 inches so I don't think he's over weight. He will self feed with a spoon but it's so messy I normaly end up doing most of it.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:14 PM

Wow, that does sound like a lot. Today DD has only had about a 1/4 of an avacado for breakfast, and just now had a few chunks of squash. I would say it was about 2 tablespoons. She still nurses every 1-2 hours, 24 hours a day.

She too has been on the low side despite being a big baby (9.2), instead, I have started adding higher fat foods to her diet instead of more, as quantity will cut down on nursing.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.

User Tag List