How do you calculate baby's age? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've wondered this since my 4 y.o. was born and never asked anyone!!
Let's say you tell people "my ds is 13 weeks old"--when my ds was 13 weeks old he was already 4 months old b;/c it was the 27th of the month(is that unclear?)
So when a child reaches his year birthday he is really 13 months old!
SO anyway-do you give your baby's age in weeks or months? Do you switch to months at some point if you give it in weeks when they are nb?
Is there some kind of "rule' for this??
Have I confused you all?

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 05:32 PM

I go weeks until about two months, then months until 18 months... after that "they'll be two at such-n-such a date", then it's purely years after that.

Don't think there's "rules" - LOL... but I can't imagine telling someone my kids are 46 months old! (Gee, that makes me 473 months old - don't know if that sounds better than 39 or not!)

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
Old 01-29-2007, 06:01 PM

I stopped saying "he's such and such weeks" after about 12 weeks. Now I just say months. It gets confusing after awhile!

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

Old 01-29-2007, 06:37 PM

I stopped stating DD's age in weeks at about 12 weeks and then did half-months or 'nearlys' -- "she's 5 1/2 months" or "she's nearly 8 months". Before a year, even a couple weeks can make a difference (when you're chatting to other mums about their development and skills) so I usually include that extra tidbit to differentiate which 'side' she's leaning toward. I've been doing that less and less though, now that she's nearly 10 months.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 PM

At around 2 months, I started referring to DS's age in months rather than weeks.

I imagine that I'll stop referring to his age in months at 23 months.

Thinking back to my childhood, I remember having quoted my age as "___ and a quarter," "___ and a half," "___ and three quarters" until I turned six, so I'm sure we'll do the same with DS.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Yup, weeks until 2 months, then months plus a half for clarification. I can't keep track of the weeks at all. A good friend still does weeks and her dd is over 5 months. So, if she says 23 weeks or something, then I know I can subtract 5 and there's my dd's age in weeks. But...I like months.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 PM

In the beginnign, I said how many weeks baby was.

Now I count by the month and half month. She was born on the tenth, so around the 25th she becomes a half month older. Right now she's 4.5 months. Next week, she'll be "almost 5 months".

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!

User Tag List