Poly-vitamin with iron drops? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My pediatrician recommended a poly-vitamin for my 4 month old breast fed DD... I thought she got everything she needed from me. I eat a balanced diet and take a multi-vitamin, why would she need a multi-vitamin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 AM

she doesn't. and if you ever taste those Poly-Vi-Sol drops i garauntee you would never give them, they taste like POISON. my mom kept trying to convince me to give them to ds, so she bought some orange flavored ones and i made her take a baby dose of it, and she almost threw up!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:42 AM

ITA. Not necessary.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 PM

What about Vitamin D? Don't you have to be getting out in the sun a little each week for that to be sufficient?
(My ds is 7 mo)
Old 01-31-2007, 03:26 PM

My doc recommended the Tri Vi Sol drops. They are only vitamins A, C, & D. She told me that breastfed babies need vitamin D during the winter months, as they don't get enough exposure to the sun. Everything else, your baby will get through your breastmilk (and extra vitamin C can't hurt during cold and flu season). I'd stay away from anything with added iron, as your breastmilk contains the perfect amount, any extra might make your little one constipated.
ETA: My DD LOVES her vitamins (the Tri Vi Sol)!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 PM

Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegC View Post
My pediatrician recommended a poly-vitamin for my 4 month old breast fed DD... I thought she got everything she needed from me. I eat a balanced diet and take a multi-vitamin, why would she need a multi-vitamin?
She probably rec. it because of your location (I notice its Maine)-vitamin D. If you have issues with supporting formula companies, twinlab makes a version of it. And there is a Simply vitamin D vitamin thats out there not made by a formula company. I always forget the name.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM

The doctor we saw in the hospital when our son was born insisted on these. Not knowing any better at the time, I tried to give them. He projectile puked them both times he had them. I don't see the need. I feel that vitamins are a racket. Your breastmilk has everything they need especially if you are eating well.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM

She does not need it - I'd find another doctor!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:04 PM

I gave them to my ds once when he was an infant- per my pedi. Bleh, he cried for 2 hours afterwards. Looked into it- he didn't need it!

Errr.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:14 PM

I think you should call your doctor to find out specifically what vitamin she thinks you child may be low on, and why. Please don't rely solely on what people say here for advice. We don't know your child or her medical history and we are not doctors. Your doctor knows your child's complete medical history, and there may be a reason why your doctor recommended supplements, which are typically not required while breastfeeding. Once your doctor gives you an explanation then you will be in a better position decide whether you need a second opinion. Please please please ask your doctor for more information.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:27 PM

Healthy, full term, ebf babies do not normally need a supplement. Preterm babies often do become anemic/iron deficent in late infancy. Unless your Dc has been diagnosed as deficient in some area then I would ask a few more questions from the Dr. before making a decision.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 PM

Has anyone tried these: www.sunlightvitamins.com/About_Just_D.php

Most babes don't need unless not in sun AT ALL although I hear darker skin babies more prone to rickets.

User Tag List