What resources for teaching sign language? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I taught my dd to sign when she was an infant. It was very effective in helping her to communicate. That was years ago and I gave my book away.

We will definitely teach ds to sign. What do y'all recommend as far as books or online sources for learning ASL and teaching it to babies?

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2007, 03:43 PM

I use Monta Briant's Sign, Sing and Play book. I have found it quite helpful. There are also workshops in my community put on by our local deaf centre, but I haven't been able to to coordinate it into my schedule. Perhaps there are community centres in your area that do this?
#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2007, 03:44 PM

There is an online ASL dictionary....hopefully someone will come along with a link. It shows the sign in a short video clip.
#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM

I just checked out a book at the library called Signing Smart with Babies and Toddlers. I really like it so far. Wish I had more time to read it hahaha.
#5 of 7 Old 01-31-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandistar View Post
I just checked out a book at the library called Signing Smart with Babies and Toddlers. I really like it so far. Wish I had more time to read it hahaha.
who's the author?

#6 of 7 Old 01-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Sign with your Baby by Joseph Garcia: There is an entire starter kit. I don’t have the whole kit but love the book and quick reference sheet. In the book he tells the reader in detail how and when to introduce new signs, which signs to introduce first and also has a fairly large list of signs in the back.

2. Pick Me Up! CD/Activity Guide: It has 20 fun songs that are designed around signing. The book has the song lyrics, suggested signs and activities to go along with each song. We just received this as a gift a few months ago, and dd loves the music!!

3. Beginning Sign Language Series Books: This is a set of paperback books for kids. I bought these for dd. She is unusually kind to books for her age but has still ripped a few pages out. Regardless, she loves them, and I would buy them again. Here are the individual titles that we own (there are quite a few that we don’t have): Foods, Fruits and Vegetables, An Alphabet of Animal Signs, Pets, Animals and Creatures, and Expanded Songs in Sign (do not get the first edition Songs in Sign as all those songs are repeated in the expanded version). HTH!

An online ASL dictionary! --

Another dictionary but is more focused on signs for young children.

Provides a wide variety of links to a variety of sign language resources.
#7 of 7 Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sign w/ Your Baby by Joseph Garcia is the one I had when I taught dd 6 years ago. It was good. That's the one I gave away. Didn't know I'd need it again...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page