June 2006 Mamas - Chatting Away in February! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi June 2006 Mamas, and Happy February! Welcome to our regulars and to any newbies - we are a group of mamas who were due in and/or delivered in and around last June, and we welcome you to join the fun! Last month we managed to get to 83 pages and 1642 posts, so watch out, we like to chat about everything and nothing in particular, and we're addictive! :

So, back when we were a DDC, for a while we used to propose a question to get conversation started in each new thread. (Not that we have any trouble starting conversations, but...it's some fun fluff ) So here goes: We all know our babies are the cutest in the world, but now that our babies are really coming into their own personalities and getting around a bit, if you had to pick just one thing your Junebug does or one thing about him or her that is the cutest ever, what would it be?

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'll answer my own question - for Andrew it's gotta be his giggle-snort. He has the most hilarious giggle ever. Whether it's laughing at his sisters or when I tickle him while changing his diaper - his giggle is absolutely adorable and infectious! I defy anyone not to crack up hearing him laugh. Now if only I could figure out how to record it and get it on You Tube or something!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 02-01-2007, 02:12 PM

Marlow has started to "talk" back to us. I love it! or if you pause in the middle of a song she will "sing" her part. yay! I love my baby!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Samantha makes an "old man" face which is entirely irresistible. I will try and get a picture of it. She sucks in her top lip as hard as she can and scrunches up her nose. We laugh every single time.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 02-01-2007, 02:17 PM

I LOVE the way Jonah just has this deep belly laugh when he is looking/playing with his brother. You can totally see his love/appreciation for him shining in his eyes. It is AWESOME.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:28 PM

Check this out...

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
that doggie just loves Sam!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow's mom View Post
that doggie just loves Sam!
they're best friends! that and Kahlua was jealous that she wasn't being played with.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
they're best friends! that and Kahlua was jealous that she wasn't being played with.
I say get a saddle and put Sam on her.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:57 PM

Squee! love the dog! Your baby girl has such squishable loveable cheeks!

cutest thing? The way Penelope smiles with her whole body. She's totally present and aware and there are no doubts about her feelings.

Anout Gentle Discipline - I think this has gotten a bad rap because of the way the term is misused. Parents who do NOTHING will say they practice GD when the truth is they just let their young people run wild. That's not GD.

We practice GD and make a lot of mistakes, but that's okay because we are human. Our young ones know we are doing our best and learning as we go. Sure, I don't like the (what I perceive to be) mistakes, but I'm learning.

Penelope has some stinky toejam. pew!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM

William has this smile that just takes over his whole face...his eyes, his lips, his nose, they all participate...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Cute!! Sibling interaction is always so wonderful to watch.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM

I went to LLL with this morning. I learned how to do a back carry with a wrap. Now I want one of theese,

http://www.babywearingmama.com/catal...6category%3D36

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsume View Post

Penelope has some stinky toejam. pew!

And obviously, I totally agree with you about GD. :

Quote:
So cuuuuute!

Cutest thing about K? The way her brother is the ONLY person still who can make her belly laugh. DH and I get laughs, but DS gets her in hysterics. She adores him.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 02-01-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
I went to LLL with this morning. I learned how to do a back carry with a wrap. Now I want one of theese,

Me! you went with me! We are going to p0wn at the back carry now. That's a great pattern, me like. Harper has some legwarmers that almost match!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
HI Korin!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
Me! you went with me! We are going to p0wn at the back carry now. That's a great pattern, me like. Harper has some legwarmers that almost match!
I ment to put you I have hands that want to type too! Man I realy want one now see what you started!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Gotta go she's on the floor trying to nurse off the coffee table leg,I'm pretty sure varnish has no nutrional value.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I ment to put you I have hands that want to type too! Man I realy want one now see what you started!
Ha, I know, I need to sell my OTSBH and my Babyhawk and a Zolowear ring sling if I get one. I think if I have a Beco and a good wrap, I will never need another carrier. I wonder what the diff is in the Storch and this woven Ellaroo? It's like half the price: http://www.babywearingmama.com/catal...Fcategory%3D41
Comes in multiple lengths. Anyone know?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Too bad she can't sit up. we've got an adorable rocking elephant (ellory the elephant for those of you who are Pottery Barn Kids fans ) that I REALLY want her to play on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsume View Post
Squee! love the dog! Your baby girl has such squishable loveable cheeks!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248 View Post
Cute!! Sibling interaction is always so wonderful to watch.
I love that Victoria has finally realized that Samantha is fun to play with. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that she's wanted to interact with the baby, so it's awesome. Sam just lights up when she sees her sisters. It's so cool.

Quote:

That is so beautiful! I love that fabric!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I wanta play ! poor dog.

Quote:
giddy up! I still want swedish fish.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:54 PM

I may try to find fabric close to it and then I can have several.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:13 PM

I wanted to add to the GD discussion that some people who don't discipline aren't necessarily "letting their kids run wild." Some, like me, practice consensual living. It's a philosophy based on the same type of respect that GD is based on, and I guess if she wanted to, my dd would be running wild, but she happens to be quite reasonable.

:

Cute things...Talula screeches to get her Daddy's attention, and then looks away when he pays attention. She also hams it up for the camera these days.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:24 PM

:

I love how Elijah always crawls around with something in his mouth. Whether it's his sock, teething ring, string to his pull-toy, whatever. It's hilarious. And I love how he loves the song Moonriver. When we play it he stops whatever it is that he's doing and just listens. And usually falls asleep to it everytime.

On GD. Definitely trying to practice that here. Heather, lmk when that group is up and running.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Whenever dh falls off his unicycle, Bastian claps. And Qualia runs over to give the unicycle a kiss.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
I wanted to add to the GD discussion that some people who don't discipline aren't necessarily "letting their kids run wild." Some, like me, practice consensual living. It's a philosophy based on the same type of respect that GD is based on, and I guess if she wanted to, my dd would be running wild, but she happens to be quite reasonable.
Granted, I don't know you personally, but I think there's still a difference between what you do and what the people who let their children run wild are doing. You engage your children and model/teach them how to interact, and they see from you how people expect them to behave. You may not be disciplining, but you are teaching. The people I see whose kids run wild have no interest at all in anything their children do. Their children do run wild, wherever/whatever/whenever they want, with not even the slightest hint of interaction with their parents.

Quote:
I HAVE A FULL TERM BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hooray Sarah!!!! I'm so happy for you!

We still don't have a tooth. I was hoping to see one when I woke up this morning, but no luck. even crankier today too. Poor baby.

My favorite thing. The absolute glee that she greets everything with. She's so happy about life and the people and things in it. It's amazing. I wish I could be like that.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post

What would you do if you had a child that was not reasonable? A child that for whatever reason does not set limits for himself? My oldest has no self-discipline. I have always let him make choices, decisions, etc. He almost never makes a good one. He is the kid that if let to his own devices will eat everything in sight until he pukes, stay up until he has a massive headache, and play video games all day.

I believe, in theory, that children should be able to make many choices in their life on their own, but what to do about this type of child?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:18 PM

Hey mamas...I'm getting ready to put together my NEW! EXCITING! WEBSITE! and want to put together a list of articles/essays to write about chiro/craniosacral with mamas, babies, etc... Anything you'd want to see? any ideas?

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248 View Post
What would you do if you had a child that was not reasonable? A child that for whatever reason does not set limits for himself? My oldest has no self-discipline. I have always let him make choices, decisions, etc. He almost never makes a good one. He is the kid that if let to his own devices will eat everything in sight until he pukes, stay up until he has a massive headache, and play video games all day.

I believe, in theory, that children should be able to make many choices in their life on their own, but what to do about this type of child?
I'm not Candice obviously, but I'll give this a shot, as I think I have a reasonable understanding of what CL is (and isn't).

As far as I understand from what I've read on the GD board, consensual living is living cooperatively with your child so that *mutually agreeable* solutions are reached when there is a difference encountered. I believe that families that live this way do believe that their children are able to reach rational decisions if given the proper information, options, etc. about a situation, AND the opportunity to potentially experience the various "consequences" of different choices (like being exhausted for school after staying up too late, a stomachache after eating too much junk, etc. - though I'm sure they would draw the line at choices that would result in serious injury or harm to the child or someone else - you know, being considerate of self and others - then again, they believe that children are rational and won't usually choose to do things that would seriously harm themselves or others).

Soooo, it wouldn't be that you just let your son eat everything in sight until he puked, you'd have ongoing discussions about what he wanted, vs. what you wanted, and find a way that both of you would be happy with the result. Maybe it would be that you find a healthier food and let him eat as much of that as he wants; he might learn a lesson about stomachaches if he has too much and learn why it's not a good idea. Or any number of combinations of what might be agreeable to both of you - that's the key - the solution is agreeable to the child AND the parent. So it's not letting your child do whatever they want, because that's not always agreeable to the parent.

Please, Candice, correct me if I'm wrong.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

User Tag List