July 2006 mamas, Let's chat February away! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 483 Old 02-24-2007, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CatskillMtnMama! My ds was born on July 25, so they are very close in age. The mamas here are awesome!!
#422 of 483 Old 02-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillMtnMama View Post
hello fellow moms-

Can I join you all? I'm actually of the August 06 DDC, but we've jumped ship to a **secret location** -- and I'd rather just stick around mdc.

my name is Liz, and I live in the catskill mtns with my 2 year old daughter lulu and my almost seven month old daughter Gingi, born august 1st (we're actually the oldest of the august ddc ... practically in this ddc anyway )

gingi's a big old gal, quite stout and long, very peaceable. she's quite a contrast to her sister (and her mother ) who are both very emotional, volatile sorts! My dh and I are madly in love with gingi her sweet gurgles and smiles and giggles....

my dh is a chemistry teacher and I am a sahm. we're both long-time zen buddhist practitioners (we moved here to be near our zen monastery). We live in an old victorian in a tiny town which is truly a little slice of paradise. Yes, the winters here are LONG. Yes, the politics is contentious. But there is a real community of people here. Our neighbors are our friends.

well, i'm looking forward to being a member of this talkative gang and getting to know you...

Liz
Welcome!! My DS was born August 3rd. He was "due" (whatever that means) July 27... he came in at 10 lbs 9 oz and continues to run at his own pace. When was your 2yo born? Mine was June 2004. Amazing how different they are, isn't it? You'd think, with the same parents and reasonably similar lifestyles that they'd be... more similar. But they are who they are, and I love it.
#423 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
hello fellow moms-

Can I join you all? I'm actually of the August 06 DDC, but we've jumped ship to a **secret location** -- and I'd rather just stick around mdc.

my name is Liz, and I live in the catskill mtns with my 2 year old daughter lulu and my almost seven month old daughter Gingi, born august 1st (we're actually the oldest of the august ddc ... practically in this ddc anyway )

gingi's a big old gal, quite stout and long, very peaceable. she's quite a contrast to her sister (and her mother ) who are both very emotional, volatile sorts! My dh and I are madly in love with gingi her sweet gurgles and smiles and giggles....

my dh is a chemistry teacher and I am a sahm. we're both long-time zen buddhist practitioners (we moved here to be near our zen monastery). We live in an old victorian in a tiny town which is truly a little slice of paradise. Yes, the winters here are LONG. Yes, the politics is contentious. But there is a real community of people here. Our neighbors are our friends.

well, i'm looking forward to being a member of this talkative gang and getting to know you...

Liz
Welcome!! I love your daughters names!!
#424 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post
Like proud parents everywhere, DH and I rejoice in all the great and small milestones of DS' development.

Today, he flipped us the bird for the first time.

translation please....
#425 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 AM

hmmmm. stuck up his middle finger. I am just going to assume that it's not a common thing (and you can just thing I am a dork for explaining it if it is, LOL!!): It's a way to say F#$K off amongst adults.
#426 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 04:35 AM

Welcome CatskillMtnMama.

Pi~ That's too funny. I remember when dd1 had done it the first time. Dd2 used to do it when she was nursing. Just the way her hand was positioned on my breast.

I'm sick. Just having one of tho few hrs that all you do is cough and keep the rest of the gang up too. So here i am coughing and on the computer, letting the gang sleep.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#427 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When my ds was a toddler, he always pointed with his middle finger. Used to make the 7th grader in us giggle every time.
#428 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 02:43 PM

I forgot to say welcome, Liz! I was also due July 27 but managed an August babe on the 13th. There's a few of us here and even some June mamas, too.

We had some bad weather here yesterday and now my internet is down. I'm using dh's work laptop, but unfortunately he needs it for work tomorrow. Hopefully the AT&T guy gets us back to normal tomorrow afternoon.
#429 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 PM

welcome Liz!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#430 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice View Post
Make new friends
A big B.O.
One is silver and the other's gold
A circle is round
It has no end
That's how long I want to be your friend.
By gum, she's got it! That's how I feel about you all! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenka View Post
HI all - just a quickie, still in Morocco... miles behind you all and missing you!,

Elsanne -glad you got the CD at last!!!!!!! And my dear, you may be jealous of me now, but I am jealous of you All the Time!!!

Its wonderful to be in a place where all babies are carried on the back, and any sign of fussiness and theres a queue of pêople all working to cheer her up, young old, male and female. It takes a village and Im in one! You could do with this for awhile, Sabbath - hugs to you!
How neato. *sigh* You make me stop and count blessings. This is a beautiful thing.

So, nary a question, you guys DID NOT MISS ME WHATSOEVER, which is okay, after all, you've only been exposed to me a very short time, unlike the maymamas (MMF in my sig), who are going to GET IT for not even mentioning me NOT EVEN ONCE, AS IF THEY HAD LIVES OR SOMETHING. AS IF THEY WERE BUSY MOTHERING OR SOMETHING.

Anyway, internet was out for 5 days. Mama just about pulled her hair out. Then today, the power was out most all day until just now.

Quote:
hello fellow moms-

gingi's a big old gal, quite stout and long, very peaceable.
Nice to meet you! Tell me, does a chemistry teacher's wife self-description as "volatile" have additional special meaning? Y'know, besides meaning Watch Out, Everybody?

And I think you ought to write in Gingi's book that you describe her, at almost 8 months of age, as stout and peaceable. Not your usual descriptors!
#431 of 483 Old 02-25-2007, 11:47 PM

It's nice to have you back Elsanne. Sorry to hear about your net then your electricity.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#432 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 AM

welcome liz!

welcome back elsanne!

francesca had her first time out in the snow today. she lasted about 5 minutes before deciding that she agreed with her mother that cold weather sucks and we should head back inside for a nap.
#433 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 AM

Now, Elsanne, you know I love you more than my luggage!
#434 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 AM
~pi

Welcome, Liz!

Elsanne, 5 days -- ouch! (FWIW, I just figured you were off doing some exotic bellydancing workshop or something else cool and exciting. )

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#435 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 02:04 AM

elsanne

liz what happened to your ddc??? any chance of gossip???:
welcome btw
#436 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 AM

hi everyone. dh and I aren't fighting but i'm feeling blue at any rate. *sigh*

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#437 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 04:35 AM

hey. we are sick around here. It's just a cold, but a nasty one that affects every orifice of the body. DS is so sick that I gave him tylenol last night and he actually slept for almost 6 hours, but was wheezing and coughing the whole time. the ironic thing about that is I didn't sleep a wink because my head felt like it was going to implode and my nose was spouting like old faithful. Today is definitely going to be a sit-on-the-couch-and-do-nothing kind of day. Too bad the house is a wreck and REALLY needs my attention...
#438 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 AM

Kim

Welcome Liz!!!

to all
#439 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM

Thanks for all the s and :guhs. You all really are the best, you know that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermommy View Post
That's hilarious!

I went to a nurse in at the mall in Reading, PA today. Here's a really cute little video of me and Logan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwWsEF8oQoA
Ooh, why the nurse in? I've been to Reading. I have a friend in Douglassville, I was just there 2 years ago. I love it out there!!

Quote:
hello fellow moms-

Liz
Welcome Liz!!! I'm sure that you will love it here! This is just such a great group of ladies! I have one of the older babies in the group, she was born June 23. I was actually "due" June 29, but thought I'd go over. She surprised us all!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#440 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjhwkr View Post
Ooh, why the nurse in? I've been to Reading. I have a friend in Douglassville, I was just there 2 years ago. I love it out there!!

A mama was harrassed the weekend before by two security guards for bf in the mall. They threatened to ban her from the mall "for life" and call the cops on her. Also, our state has no legislation to protect mommies and babies from this kind of discrimination. I'd never been to a nurse in before. It was amazing to see all those babies and mommies.

We also made the news in two of the three Philly stations that covered it. My mom taped it for me. She said one channel had a close up of Logan nursing and the other ended their broadcast with a close up of Logan's face! so cool!
#441 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Time to form a breastfeeding coalition and get those laws enacted. Those types of stories give lawmakers motivation to do something. We're trying to get laws in Arkansas without any high profile incidents.

everyone! We are back online...yay!!

I want my, I want my, I want my MDC.....

Sorry so many are dealing with the sickies. My dd1 is still suffering with some drainage and subsequent cough. Other than keeping me up at night with some restless sleep and coughing, she feels fine. I think she's just about to turn the corner on it, though.
#442 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 08:22 PM

thanks for the BIG welcome --- you all are not only awesome but very kind to a wayward mom...

no, no gossip that I can tell yet. I don't want to lose touch with all the aug moms, so I will occasionally drop in over there. my sense is they were pissed that we were taken off our own forum ...

lulu was born sept 04...

oops must run... mom needed

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#443 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Pi

Elsanne, of course I missed you... on the inside

Sarenka, hope you are having a blast!

Welcome Liz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermommy View Post
A mama was harrassed the weekend before by two security guards for bf in the mall. They threatened to ban her from the mall "for life" and call the cops on her. Also, our state has no legislation to protect mommies and babies from this kind of discrimination. I'd never been to a nurse in before. It was amazing to see all those babies and mommies.

We also made the news in two of the three Philly stations that covered it. My mom taped it for me. She said one channel had a close up of Logan nursing and the other ended their broadcast with a close up of Logan's face! so cool!
For god's SAKE. When will breastfeeding be NORMAL? But awesome news story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
I want my, I want my, I want my MDC.....
:

Ok I need to brag for a second. Rachel has started doing the following things over the past two days:

1. Getting herself from crawling back to sitting
2. Kneeling! (without holding onto anything)
3. Waving hello and goodbye to people (so cute!)

On the not so great side, all of this development hasn't come without its price, most of which occured on the tile floor in the kitchen. Ouch.
#444 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
For god's SAKE. When will breastfeeding be NORMAL? But awesome news story!

Ok I need to brag for a second. Rachel has started doing the following things over the past two days:

1. Getting herself from crawling back to sitting
2. Kneeling! (without holding onto anything)
3. Waving hello and goodbye to people (so cute!)

On the not so great side, all of this development hasn't come without its price, most of which occured on the tile floor in the kitchen. Ouch.
I know, it's ridiculous! And the security guards that harrassed that mother were probably at the strip club staring at boobs the night before.
But god FORBID we use them for their intended purpose! :

Yeah Rachel! Logan is kneeling too and starting to crawl. He's trying to pull up, but he doesn't have the leg strength to get that fat little butt all the way up yet. We've had some boo boos here too.
#445 of 483 Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 PM

She's signing milk!!!!
:

And laughing with delight when I sign it!
#446 of 483 Old 02-27-2007, 03:15 AM

We don't have phone or internet yet, but I managed to hack a neighbors wireless connection to jump on here for a sec. We are mostly moved in and living in our new place. We are so loving it. Emma tells absolutely everyone who will listen that we have a new house and she loves it. She has slept in her own room the past 2 nights and we are both doing okay. I must say I don't abolutely love it, but it has not been as terrible as I thought. She seems to think it's cool. I miss you girls so much and I can't wait till we are up and running so I can catch up.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#447 of 483 Old 02-27-2007, 03:54 AM

glad to hear you're moved joyofbirth

tanya why the 40 days without cheese?

my girl just rolls and wriggles but............ she has 7 teeth!!!!! my nipples are not happy :

when she smiles she's all teeth

pi - did your boy ever roll?
#448 of 483 Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 AM

my guess would be lent witt.
#449 of 483 Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 AM

well i'm an athiest (sp??) ignoramus can you explain it
#450 of 483 Old 02-27-2007, 11:16 AM

as best I can - Christians give up something (cheese, the internet, a personality flaw ect) for 40 days. It's a fasting. You are supposed to give up something you love, add something that will bring you closer to God (usually more prayer), and spend time or money giving to a charitable organization or neighbor. It's possible this fasting started for a more practical reason - towards the end of winter/beginning of spring when food stores were running out from what was saved at last summer's harvest there is something British farmers called a 'hungry gap' where there was no food left in stores, but the new crops hadn't started growing yet, lent and this fasting helped with the low food supplies as people were fasting from food. the fasting used to be very extreme, people only eating one meal per day, only ever eating bread ect. But, that doesn't really happen anymore. abstinence is also a large part of lent.

Essentially it's supposed to be a way that people can connect with the concept of Jesus' suffering.

Probably WAY more than you wanted to know. I am not a christian, but I think religion is FASCINATING.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page