feb '07 mammas -- the babies are coming! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 273 Old 02-02-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just thought i'd start us a chat thread and people can join as they give birth and have the time.

no time to write a long post r ight now (nak plus toddler on lap), but here's a few questions to get us started:

how are you recovering?
how's your family adjusting?
how are you feeling?
what's your babe's personality like so far?

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 273 Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Hello! Baby is still "in" but I'll be here... I doubt I'll be going into March!!
#3 of 273 Old 02-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Still preggo here (edd is uh.. next Mon?).. planning on being preg for at least another week or so...

But HI!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#4 of 273 Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 PM

Good idea, Jilly. Especially with so many mamas having their babies already. It's mind-blowing.

I'm supposed to be sleeping with everyone else right now, but it's hard to force myself to just go down at any hour of the day.
The boys are really sweet. I'm hoping their laid back nature continues past this sleepy newborn phase. They put up with me waking one when the other feeds-in fact they often wake up simultaneously but never consistently. I wonder if it's a twin thing?

I'm processing how hard labor/birth really is on a woman's body. Even though I'm recovering beautifully, I have some very scary anemia and it's so hard to tend to babes around the clock when one is drained. It seems like a flaw in the design.

DH is marvelous. He pushes himself a little too hard, IMO, but we have lots of time together to get into a system. It will be scary when he goes back to work-especally when 'crisis' things happen like when Seth peed all over me while tandem nursing. Or when Sean started choking on milk while tandem nursing. Sometimes you need to move quick, but you can't or you'll hurt the other one, YK?

So that's where I'm at. Hormones are fine except I'm having a problem with an ebay transaction over an arm's reach co-sleeper. The person who sold it to me obviously doesn;t understand what a 7 day old mom is NOT going to put up with!!!!!!!!!!
#5 of 273 Old 02-02-2007, 11:26 PM

Glad you started this thread Jilly. I'll be here next week! See you soon
#6 of 273 Old 02-03-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ug, Andrew just erased my whole post (both children are on my lap -- Aaron in thesling and Andrew on my other leg, watching homestarrunner cartoons), so I'll give the coles notes version.

Recovery is going well. Still big- bellied, but other than that feeling quite good.

Dh has been really helpful and loves his new son and has been great about taking over with Aaron when he's home. Andrew is starting to get used to Aaron, and when he can't see him asks "Where is the baby?" and looks for him, which is cute.But he also can be pretty rough, jumping right next to him, and trying to "pat" him with a fist . . . but he doens't know his own strength yet, so I try to jsut be patient and show him how to do it right and not panic.

I'm tired, but otherwise well. Andrew and Aaron hardly ever sleep at the same time, Aaron does the night shift and sleeps all day, and Andrew is raring to go at 5:30 or 6 and sometimes will nap around 2:30. Fortunatly I spent about 20 mos working on sleep deprived auto-pilot with Andrew, so I just had to readjust my expectations.

So far Aaron is pretty mellow, as long as everything is going well he is either asleep, or staring around happily. But when something is wrong -- he is hungry or uncomfortable or has to pee (he hates peeing in his diaper, he waits for the free air) -- he really lets you know. Dh and I both have loud voices, though, so its not really a surprise that our children are loud, too.

Jude Rose -- you will be amazed at how much more competent you will be at dealing with emergencies and manouvering children in a week or two. Also, the really floppy stage is short, so they'll soon be a bit less delicate. Hang in there. Twins must be incredibly busy.

#7 of 273 Old 02-03-2007, 06:54 PM

Hey there! Things here are starting to settle a bit. Dd is very excited about her new brother, and LOVES to kiss him all the time. She wants to see him as soon as she wakes up in the morning too. I have a feeling that he will be able to sleep through a tornado after starting off with her yelling and jumping all the time!

Recovery is going well for me, I feel about back to normal, some hormonal issues...mainly with sleep, I didn't get any for 2 days, not because of ds or dd, but because I couldn't fall asleep. Last night I slept well though, without any of the benadryl the m/w recommended...so I don't know if it was the fact that I had an option to help, or my hormones are settling, or if maybe even the full moon had been messing with me, but I sure hope it was a passing thing.

Nursing is going so well, ds caught on immediately and that coupled with the fact that I am not nearly as neurotic as I was with dd has made things go quite smoothly. Oh and my milk came in way faster this time, that helped too.

Gotta run!
#8 of 273 Old 02-04-2007, 03:00 AM

My lil' one is still "cookin" hehe so I'll just lurk for the time being

~Becky

Wife, Mommy of 4, & Grandma to 1

#9 of 273 Old 02-04-2007, 06:45 PM

So glad toohave this thread here.. you would think I would be a *PRO* mamma by now *4th baby*, but they all are so defferent, so ofcourse I am going too have questions.. THANK YOU for starting this!!!!

Lucas is gassy ( I think ), but it seems too hit him only at night.. He eats and sleeps really well during the day.. Every 3-4 hrs he wakes too eat, then is awake for a few minutes, then off too sleepy land for him. But it seems like once 11pm hits, he just cries so hard, like he is hurting.. not much consoles him..Then around 3am he seems too be ok, and he is sleeping agaiin..We usually fall asleep in the recliner together, with him on my chest, whic OMG........ I LOVE DOING.. Hard for me too lay down in bed still so we sleep in the recliner.

Hoping in another week I can be ion my bed ..

how are you recovering? I feel really good...which makes me happy. My incision they said is looking beautiful, whatever beautiful looks like *lol*..

how's your family adjusting? OMG... *lol*... This is the best for me.. When we brought Luke home, my twolittle ones went NUTS, it was like they got this brand new toy. Huggin him kissing him, just so good with him. They LOVE him...and are wonderful with him

how are you feeling ? I have been crying alot lately.. I was hoping this would stop after I had him, but the crash in hormones has really made me WEEPY..I cry all the time. I do not feel sad, just out of the blue urges too cry, if that makes any sence?

what's your babe's personality like so far? So far, I would say Luke is very laid back. Does not demand alot. He is very content when he is awake, Just looks around...
#10 of 273 Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKMN View Post
how's your family adjusting? OMG... *lol*... This is the best for me.. When we brought Luke home, my twolittle ones went NUTS, it was like they got this brand new toy. Huggin him kissing him, just so good with him. They LOVE him...and are wonderful with him

how are you feeling ? I have been crying alot lately.. I was hoping this would stop after I had him, but the crash in hormones has really made me WEEPY..I cry all the time. I do not feel sad, just out of the blue urges too cry, if that makes any sence?

Just wanted to say that for me, seeing dd with Zachary has been nearly as exciting as meeting him...she LOVES him, such a sweet thing. And I still cry for the most random reasons...I had a hard time after dd, so was expecting it to be awful...so far not as bad, but it is so hard to go through the hormone crash. My m/w told me that some women fear post-partum more than labor for that reason...I think that was true for me.
#11 of 273 Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 AM

Signing up!

Recovery is going fine. Dh says I have a second degree tear again, I have been using comfrey in my peri bottle and plan to take an herbal bath one of these days to help it heal. My bright red bleeding basically stopped by the 3rd day which I am very happy about. My SPD is worse though, if that is possible! It seems that now there isn't a baby to keep my pubic bones apart they want to rub all the time. I also have a sore tail bone so I have to sit on soft things no matter what.

My family is adjusting great! Dd loves to squeeze on her head, give her kisses, and wants to nurse at the same time. My oldest is wonderful! He is in love with her and wants to hold her all the time. He was very proud of keeping an eye on her today when I took a shower. Liam is very standoffish just like he was with his other sister. He will not hold her even though he says "It is not because she is slobbery." He also was not very impressed by watching her birth. He says he wants to forget it! Dh has been great though he has had to work every day since her birth!! He has tried to help pick up my slack and make me rest instead of clean and cook.

Hormones are doing okay. I was really upset when dh was scheduled to work during the Superbowl. Sunday is the only day he has off so him having to work when we just had a baby really upset me. I think besides that I am feeling more like myself so I am happier.

Meridian is a dream. The first night was hard because I was up at 6 am, had her at close to noon then she didn't want to sleep at my normal bed time. She was up until 6:30 am the next morning so I had to try hard to not doze off taking care of her. Since then she sleeps all. the. time. She will wake to nurse at night then fall right back to sleep. She has a few hours of awake time during the day but not much. I expect her to be easy since she barely moved in the womb!! She nurses all the time too and is a pro at spitting up. She gave me 2 huge smiles today that dh got to witness. I think she has a dimple in her right cheek too!

I am still in awe that I have already had her. It is almost like it is anti-climatic since I have been waiting so long to have her! I think alot of UC moms feel that way though because it just feels so "normal" to have a baby then get on with life without all the fanfare caused by others being involved. It is also wierd because no one in either of our families has seen her and no one will for 2 months at least. It is hard for people to actually "get" that we had a baby when they aren't around to see for themselves.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#12 of 273 Old 02-06-2007, 03:38 PM

I'm still cooking, but it's nice to hear how everyone's doing.
#13 of 273 Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

we went to our "2 week" check up at 3 1/2 weeks (my doc is super busy) and aaron is already 11 lbs. what a chunk, eh?

also, i'm feeling svelte today because i wore my OWN winter jacket today and put my belt on the second notch instead of the first one (i'm usually closer to the 5th notch)

#14 of 273 Old 02-08-2007, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'll jump in My baby was born on the 3rd. I'm recovering pretty well but I probably need to slow down! I've been up and out of the house a little toooo much, heh. It only starts to get to me if I'm overdue for ibuprofin.

It feels pretty normal to have a baby (its our first) it doesnt seem like a dramatic transition at all. it probably helps that my mom is here for another week and helping out a ton!

feelin pretty crushed that I didnt get my home birth we fought till the end, labored at home for 2 days, but it wasnt happening and I ended up with a section

baby's personality is awesome she's an expert nurser, and basically laid back. keep her fed and changed and give her snuggles and she's totally happy. She sleeps great at night and I hardly lose any sleep at all with cosleeping, I probably spend less time awake with her than I did while pregnant and needing to pee all night! lol. I really got an easy one

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#15 of 273 Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 PM

I love hearing about everyone's babies! MIne is still in, but I'll be sure to let everyone know when we're done!
#16 of 273 Old 02-10-2007, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's hard to believe Suriya is almost 24 hours old. She's a sweet baby and my boys all love her so much. She is one lucky baby to have 3 adoring big brothers.
I hemmorhaged pretty bad after her birth so my recovery is slow going. I didn't have any tearing and am not in a lot of pain but my energy level is like -10.
I'm having a hard time sleeping even though I should be completely comatose right now. It's going to take some getting used to! It feels so weird to not be pregnant right now. I always have gone 2 weeks overdue so she is so early for me. What a considerate baby!
#17 of 273 Old 02-10-2007, 08:14 PM

Hello everyone! We're doing pretty well here, I just can't sit in front of the computer long enough to type much, because my bottom is sore and the chair is hard I did tear a bit but it was a tiny one, just like my last birth.

Anna's birth was wonderful and amazing, I wrote a birth story out on paper, but I won't get around to typing it right away. She's nursing great, milk is in, and she has a little bit of jaundice.

My spd still hurts which is depressing. I'm not sure how long to expect it to hurt, but I'm already used to dealing with it I guess.

Lanielayne, I totally understand what you mean about having a hard time realizing we had the baby. This was our first UC and it felt weird, we got up, had a baby, made breakfast, and that was that. It was also a very fast labor, and I think that's part of it. I'm still trying to process everything.

My other three kids are starting to go stir crazy. My mom is coming on Monday, and I'm afraid the excitement will only make things worse. I just hope she'll be helpful and wash some clothes!

I've decided to put my foot down and refuse to leave the house for two weeks at the very minimum. I meant to do that last time, but I caved to outside pressure and I really wasn't ready. This time I have the added incentive of flu season to tell people I'm sorry but we can't take the baby out right now.

Time to get up and move around a bit!

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#18 of 273 Old 02-11-2007, 01:38 AM

We took Meridian to the doc Thursday for a check up and a newborn screening. It was the first time to for me to have all 4 alone outside of the house. It wasn't as hard as I thought and it was mostly due to Meridian being easy! She even slept through the heel prick and all the squeezing they did to her poor little foot! She has gained only an ounce but I was just glad she hadn't lost any. Of course we leave the docs office and now she is sick! : I have been sucking lovely green mucous from her nose constantly since but she doesn't have a fever and her breathing is fine. Liam had bronchial pneumonia at 5 weeks so I am watching her like a hawk. I certainly don't want to have to go through that again. He was in the hospital for a week. She is still easy as pie and I have been able to get plenty of sleep! It is so nice not to have to wake up to pee! And I can sleep without pain now that I can sleep on my stomach. I just have to prop up my head with pillows to give room for this huge milk-filled chest I have!

I think my pubic bone actually seperated this time. It just doesn't feel like it did last time - it is much worse but I am able to walk better now then I did pregnant. I walked around Target today with very minimal pain and I could almost have shouted out how good that felt right there! It is so nice to notice that pain is lessening! What a relief!

kayjayjay- I hope you start feeling some relief soon. It took about 2 weeks for me to feel close to normal last time so I hope it will be the same for you!

Dh's first day off from work since her birth is tomorrow and I can't wait to just sit and veg with him! He loves on Meridian any time he can which hasn't been much yet. I think he really feels like our family is complete now that we have 2 boys and 2 girls. It feels right to me too!

#19 of 273 Old 02-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Zachary had his one week appt on Tuesday, he was 11lbs 10oz and had grown an inch. I can't believe he gained over a pound in the first week. Needless to say he has a couple of chins (that I LOVE to smooch) and is nearly out of his 0-3 month clothes already. He is such a sweet baby, and things are definately settling down here, my dd1 will be two on the 15th (SO hard to believe) and she is adjusting so well. She hugs her brother and tells him "I love you so much". She had a hard time with the nighttime at first (we all co-sleep), but has adjusted better than I could have hoped.
#20 of 273 Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM

hey mommas Hope you are all continuing to do well!

We are doing pretty good here. My incision (had to c-section - long story) is healing well. I am severly anemic as well - but not trying to handle twins like you Jude Rose. Hats off to you!

Despite our last minute change of birth plans, bf is going well. DD is a little suck retarded and takes a while to latch, but fine once she gets there. She is usually up every 2hrs during the day, and 3-4 hrs at night to eat.

We went for her first doctor's appt on Tuesday at 5 days old. She was up an oz from birth weight, so doing o.k. in that department. This monday though we have to go back for an echo gram (sp?) as she has a heart murmur that the docs want to check out. Does anyone have any experience in this dept? I'm not quite sure what to expect I guess.

DH thankfully has 2 wks of paternity leave, so has been home this whole time. unfortunately, he returns to work on wed. Other than sleep deprivation I think we are adjusting well.

I too have been a little (severe understatement) emotional. Thankfully DH is understanding and I have managed to have a sense of humor over the ordeal.

So far babe is really mellow. We haven't really had more than one episode of fussyness (cross fingers) and we have even seen a couple of smiles. Mostly reflexive, but also the "I just fell asleep at mommy's breast" smile. We are currently Moby'd and snug as a rug. :

Can't wait to hear how the rest of you are doing!

Me 27, DH 29, Little E. 02/01/2007 and Baby N. 04/18/2010
#21 of 273 Old 02-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
m0dernist, how does the moby feel with the incision? I'm dying to try out my moby but I'm a little skittish since it'd wrap right around the incision. I've been using my pouch sling the most, but even that is hard since her weight puts pressure on my stomach so I can't wear her for long

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#22 of 273 Old 02-11-2007, 02:24 PM

LilStar - The Moby actually doesn't bother much if at all, and I tried it about 4 days out. I'm just carefull that I actually tie around the waist rather than the hips. HTH!

Me 27, DH 29, Little E. 02/01/2007 and Baby N. 04/18/2010
#23 of 273 Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 AM

Ugh this insomnia is killing me! Since the day she was born I can sleep maybe 2-3 hours and then I'm wide awake for hours. Anyone else having trouble sleeping?
#24 of 273 Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Ugh this insomnia is killing me! Since the day she was born I can sleep maybe 2-3 hours and then I'm wide awake for hours. Anyone else having trouble sleeping?
I had a LOT of problems with this when DS was born. It was awful, because I was anemic as well, and WANTED and NEEDED the sleep, but OMG, I couldn't sleep. I'd nurse Will and be up for hours. I hope you can get some sleep! I wonder if it's hormones shifting?
#25 of 273 Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post

I didn't sleep for two straight days and nights after ds was born...it sucked. Honestly I called my m/w and she told me to take some benadryl before bed and get some sleep, that it would be fine for baby. I can count on one hand the times I have taken even a tylenol while pregnant or nursing, so I was pretty skeptical. I don't know if it was having the option or just that my hormones finally settled but the night I called her I slept like a baby without anything. The next day I went to the health food store and got both calms forte and rescue remedy sleep. I used the rescue remedy one night and noticed no effect on ds, it is on kellymom as being okay to use when bf'ing, and they actually have it listed as something that can help with letdown. HTH and sending you some calming, sleep inducing vibes.
#26 of 273 Old 02-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Well I finally got a little more sleep, though it wasn't when I'd planned. I went back to bed around 6am and got up at noon, waking every couple hours to nurse the baby.
I have so got to fix this before DP goes back to work.
#27 of 273 Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 PM

Just thought I would check in. DID, glad you were able to get some sleep. We are doing great. Kasey is a champion nurser. Oops dd1 is calling, I'll be back later.
#28 of 273 Old 02-13-2007, 01:55 PM

I am not having the Insomnia issue, I am anemic after my section, and on iron for the next 3 months, and I am sleeping just fine.. In fact I could fall asleep going pee I need energy, so i would be glad too take of yours dear

I have had this nagging MILD head ache for the last 7 days.. I wake up with it, and go too sleep with it.. It is driving me nuts. I need yoo striahgten out my hormones, does anyone have any advise on how too do this herbally?

Hey this is news!!!

Lukie slept for 5 hrs striaght last night .. I was floored at this. He had a rough go of it last night. He was just restless and seemed irritated so he was fussy from 10, til midnight, when he finally conked out on my chest. I woke too his squirming at 5am this morning!!! Felt soooooooooooooooooooooo good too sleep that long

I hope everyone else is doing well

I wanted too attach some pics

Here is Luke and Nestor Nevernod!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...torandluke.jpg

My kids...
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...es/thekids.jpg

Luke...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ittlelukie.jpg
#29 of 273 Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 PM

My brain's a little scrambled so I'll post thoughts as they occur:

* My Whisperwear pump doesn't fit on my boobs. And my boobs aren't that big, but they're pretty big, definitely engorged. I'm hoping they settle down and fit by the time I go back to work.

* Ian was born on Superbowl Sunday. That first night, I was walking the hallway from 1a.m. to 5a.m., scared out of my mind that it would be like this forever. But then the next night, he slept fine. Co-sleeping is great! Not to be rude, but I'm very curious as to how those of you who have separate nurseries do it!!!

* My DH & I took Ian to the pediatrician for a newborn exam as well as a PKU test. As soon as she found out how little prenatal care I had, she started talking about STD tests. I argued for a little while, but finally told her she could test Ian for Hep B. What makes me the maddest was how short of an exam she gave him. Basically just touched his shoulder and proclaimed him as a healthy baby. WTF!!! She did not listen to his heart or lungs, take his blood pressure, check his eyes or ears, check his spinal cord, or genitals. Like I said....WTF??!!!! I was so disturbed by the argument we had about STD testing that it didn't even occur to me how short the exam was until after we'd left the room. I have never had such a horrid experience, and DH & I have decided to not only drop her as a pedi, but never ever go back to that hospital. We will be doing some better research to find a clinic where there are some AP-friendly docs.

* My mom came and stayed for a few days - she just left this morning as a matter of fact. She was such a huge blessing!! *sigh* I miss my mommy already!!! My in-laws came to visit on Sunday. They drove 5 hours, stayed for 5 hours, and then drove back that evening. It was a wonderful visit!

* I didn't have much SPD while pregnant, but I actually had *more* problems getting up and down out of bed after the birth, I think because I was forcing myself to use my abdominal muscles (which had majorly atrophied) to get out of bed instead of using my arms, kwim? My stomach muscles were so shot that the day after the birth, I couldn't speak above a whisper. It was like I couldn't find my diaphragm. So strange!

* I feel more and more like myself every day. In fact, this morning I had barely any lochia.
#30 of 273 Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 AM

I have really been feeling great! My SPD is doing so much better and I am ecstatic that I can sleep without pain!! I even rean some errands with all 4 of them yesterday and we almost made it through all of them without mishap!

Meridian is a little jokester already. She keeps waiting for the most inappropriate times to poop and pee. A few nights ago she pooped while Maren and I were in the tub with her. I had to scoop it out and rinse the whole tub and fill it up again. When we got out she had pooped even more in her towel! I was changing her out of her towel while she was laying on my lap and she spit up on one of my legs and peed down the other! A similar thing happened while I was changing her in the truck yesterday during errands! The kids find it very entertaining!

DiD- I too had insomnia the first week. For me it was like I was on a birth high or something. I couldn't sleep and didn't really need it. This week has been different. I am tired alot but it doesn't even compare to being pregnant! Meridian sleeps well for the most part though she is gunky still so I am sucitoning her alot at night.

MCKMN- Your little Luke is really adorable! I love his fuzzy hair!

Firefly- I wish we had visitors! I really want to show her off! My mom thinks she may come in April and my dad says he will come soon but nothing is concrete. It sure is fun to share those little babies with family!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page