What should ten month olds be eating? Mine wont. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-06-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help....my ten month old twins won't eat anything with any texture. I've tried cheerios which were already soggy, mashed bananas, but they always gag and throw up. They won't eat any cereal if it is too thick and they gag on some of the baby food #2's. They will only eat smooth baby food and I'm still breastfeeding. Do I need to worry? My sister in law had her baby eating whole slices of pizza at ten months..I thought that was crazy. My friend who has a baby the exact same age as my twins gives her baby whatever they are eating for dinner. Are my babies ok with just baby food jars and breastmilk. I don't want to rush people food if they aren't ready for it. At what age should they be eating people food? My dd has 3 teeth and ds is working on his first two right now.
#2 of 18 Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 PM

our girl didnt eat anything but breastmilk at 10 months. she didnt even try her first solids till 10 and a half months and then it was just little bits of whatever she showed an intrest in from our plates. she didnt eat much more than pasta, watermelon, chicken, cheese and yogurt till she was 13 or 14 months, and only now has gotten to the point where she wants to have lots of solids. still, even though she gets what we eat for dinner every night she doesnt always eat much of it.

as long as your guys are nursing a lot and gaining well i wouldnt worry about the solids.
#3 of 18 Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 PM

My boys, who were really big kids (95%tile on weight) and who had a mouthful of teeth, didn't eat solid food until they were 18 or 19 months old. My oldest would eat a tiny bite of banana or one tiny bite of a toast on a given day before then. My youngest (who also gagged a lot and threw up once) didn't eat anything except breastmilk until 19 months. They wouldn't eat babyfood. I am a small person with small breasts. Not only were they fine, but they had gorgeous skin, robust immune systems, beautiful smiles and they continued to grow like weeds.

I didn't set out for that to happen. I actually got out the highchair and babyfood at exactly 6 months of age for my oldest and attempted to do the conventional thing. I was bewildered as to why he wouldn't eat. I worried needlessly over this, but there was nothing I could do to make him eat. With my second child, I saw it coming. I would have been thrilled for them to eat food like other babies, but they would not. It was a very powerful lesson for us in the tremendous quality of human milk. They never had an ear infection and never had anything other than a minor cold. And like I said, they were both very big kids. I was highly impressed by my body after that. I don't mean to belittle anyone, but I thought about hearing women with 3 month old babies, saying that they don't believe they make enough milk to satisfy their babies any longer. I had a huge 1 year old that lived on nothing but my milk. It can be done! And I think it's a variation of normal.

As long as you breastfeed on demand, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I, personally, would stop offering textured food for a while, simply because you might create a negative mental association for the babies wrt textured food. After my youngest gagged to the point of throwing up over a piece of banana I tried to get him to eat, I just stopped all efforts. He outgrew the gagging and he forgot about his aversion so that when he was ready, he was open-minded about it again.
#4 of 18 Old 02-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Research shows that children can live on nothing be breastmilk for at least 24 months no problem.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#5 of 18 Old 02-06-2007, 09:28 PM

I would keep offering appropriate table foods, NOT feed anything I didn't want to be a regular part of their diet just to get them to swallow something, and keeping breastfeeding because I would trust that they were getting everything they need from mother's milk.

One of mine didn't swallow until 10 months and it was like a switch was thrown. He just wasn't ready. I would have been okay with longer but only because I knew other kids who went longer. LLL was a great place for that!
#6 of 18 Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Stop forcing food. Offer foods they can self-feed, but don't spoon feed.

My dd wasn't interested in solids at all until 11 months. Didn't eat more than a tablespoon a day (total) until 13 months.

Perfectly normal.

-Angela
#7 of 18 Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 PM

My ten month old is exclusively bf. I've tried giving him solids on occasion, but he just gags and spits it out. He's not interested or ready. Ds1 was eating pureed stuff at this age, but didn't want anything to do with finger foods. Then, all of a sudden, he started eating everything in sight at 11.5 months.

Every kid is different. Follow your dc's cues. So long as you are bf on demand, all is well.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#8 of 18 Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 PM

I didn't offer any solids to my Dd until she was 10 months old. She didn't eat more than a bite or two of that every few days until she was about 16 months old. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as a child is getting breastmilk.
#9 of 18 Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Both my dc were at least 10 months maybe more before they started being at all interested in solid food. There is no need to rush.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#10 of 18 Old 02-07-2007, 01:28 AM

Every child is different.

My oldest ate only baby food until he was about 15 months old. My daughter started table foods (what we ate) at about 9 months and refused to eat any baby food. We actually had her evaluated by an OT b/c we thought there were issues (she had low muscle tone and was already in PT), but it turns out she just wanted something with more texture. My middle son never ate baby food and didn't eat table food until he was about 18 months. My youngest at baby food until over a year old.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#11 of 18 Old 02-07-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owachi View Post
Do I need to worry? My sister in law had her baby eating whole slices of pizza at ten months..I thought that was crazy.
Um,that's pretty gross. Sorry. Anyhow,totally no need to worry. Your babies are getting optimal nutrition from your milk. FAR superior to a slice of pizza. Egads,my almost 4yr old can't even eat a whole slice of pizza...:
#12 of 18 Old 02-07-2007, 02:44 AM

I say your fine mine would only eat a few things at that age but were doing great on weight gain. They loved mashed potatoes and avacode (sp?) now they will eat anything I give them they are 2 yrs they love liverworst fozen peas. one of the things I did to help with textures are I would smash up cherrios and then put them into yougart and other things just to help them out with textures is 10 mo their real age or are they adjusted? BF is so good for them so no stress all kids are diffrent I waited till mine started to show intrest in what we were eating before trying things out on them and like I said I have two of the best little eaters my sis who fed her son who is 12 days older then my twins at 4 mo old is pretty picky and turns his nose up at things so just be patient and let them start coxing for foods I would try it again then
#13 of 18 Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.....I was hoping it was ok because I really don't want them to choke.....i will wait.
#14 of 18 Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 PM

My dd sounds a lot like your kids when she was that age. At her 12 month appt. I asked our family doc about it and he said that as long as I was nursing, we wouldn't worry about it until she was 2.

When she was 18 months old, I became pregnant with our second baby, and dd finally started eating food.

Mama of three.

#15 of 18 Old 02-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Banned

Mine had to have at least some purees until he was 24 months old, and at 10 months he absolutely needed solids and absolutely couldn't handle them in any form but puree. And I mean the super-puree of jarred foods -- oh, how I tried to make a puree at home that he could eat! And he needed the solids, too -- my supply was always lowish, and food relieved his hunger. That went on until at least 15 months, I think, and the journey to table foods was long and slow and full of (unnecessary) worry but now he is totally there (26 months). Some individual kids just gag and gag and gag and still need more than breastmilk, no matter what anybody says about what kids as a group technically can do. So I say save yourself the worry -- they will be just fine. Jars are not evil , and in some cases can be a real help .
#16 of 18 Old 02-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&IsMama View Post
Um,that's pretty gross. Sorry. Anyhow,totally no need to worry. Your babies are getting optimal nutrition from your milk. FAR superior to a slice of pizza. Egads,my almost 4yr old can't even eat a whole slice of pizza...:
Why's that gross? My dd would have eaten a whole slice of pizza at that age no trouble. It's homemade from scratch, is what we were eating anyway and there was nothing unhealthy about it at all. No denying at that age bm is far superior, but I don't think you can write off pizza on the assumption that it was bought as fast food.
#17 of 18 Old 02-08-2007, 03:27 PM

I agree with the pps who suggested backing off on the feeding. My dd had texture issues, and didn't have anything except breastmilk until she was 18 months. Ds started wanting food off of my plate at 9 or so months. Just follow her lead on this one.
#18 of 18 Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Ds had texture issues until very recently. Its like a switch inside him flipped one day and all of a sudden he was okay with lumpier or soft solid foods.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page