At what temperature is a fever really dangerous in a newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-07-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had a fever of 105 : (along with the lovely sore throat virus that's going around) and am really worried about passing this virus on to our newborn...so far, he's okay, but at what temp. do you worry about it? Obviously, 105 is WAY too high for him...but should it start, when do I worry and when do we need to have it seen about?
#2 of 9 Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Anything over 100.4 in a newborn is considered any emergency in a newborn.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#3 of 9 Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Hm. I was told "over 104" was cause for concern in a newborn. Have to look it up now.

However, 105 is cause for concern in an adult. 105 in an adult may cause delirium etc. I had a fever of 105 as a late teen and I remember the funny "hallucinations," feeling kinda out of my body and seeing everything in pastel. Have you gotten your own fever down a bit? Now I need to go look this all up.

Julia
dd 10 mos
#4 of 9 Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Ok, looks like the "consensus" from hokey parenting websites of all varieties is that a baby under 3 mos old should be seen if there is a fever over 100F.
#5 of 9 Old 02-07-2007, 08:17 PM

Consensus from hokey adult health websites, general consensus is that a fever of 103-105F is generally not dangerous, although I found more than one source saying you should definitely reduce an adult fever over 105F. Keep an eye on your own temp too and consider treating? I hope you feel better soon!

Julia
dd 10 mos
#6 of 9 Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Dr. Sears site says...

"If your infant is 6 weeks or younger, and has a fever of 101 or higher, this is considered a medical emergency. Your doctor should evaluate your infant right away, either during business hours, or in an emergency room after hours. Do not give any fever-reducing medications in this situation (you don't want to hide the fever until after a doctor has evaluated your baby). Be sure to confirm any fevers with a rectal thermometer (if available) before contacting your doctor."

"7 weeks to three months with a fever over 101 warrant an appointment with your doctor within the next several hours."

However, with breastfeeding, I've found that my babe usually gets a much less severe version of whatever bug I have.

Hope you feel better soon!
#7 of 9 Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 PM

I just went through this 3 weeks ago! My DD was 4 weeks and had a fever of 100.5 the midwife called a pediatrician. The Dr said as long as she was eating/breaastfeeding and didn't act REALLY sick then it was ok to stay at home. The Dr said if it went above 101, we'd need to run to the ER.
#8 of 9 Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 PM

How old is your newborn?
Are you breastfeeding?

If you are breatfeeding, it's unlikely that your babe will suffer very much from your illness. Depending on the age of the baby, a fever can be very serious, but if you're just asking out of curiosity or to be prepared, I would try not to worry. On the other hand, if your baby is very young and has a fever worth mentioning (over 100) you should call your ped. right away.
#9 of 9 Old 02-08-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help, mamas! My fever finally broke later that evening and so far, so good with DS not getting it. I am BF exclusively - DS is 9 days old today.

Since his birth it seems like I've caught everything - stomach bug, this cold, etc. DS had some diarrhea, but nothing too major we don't think. He's never run a fever, so I'm praying we are in the clear.

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page