anyone tried Hyland's teething tablets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has been on meltdown mode for days, sleeping less and less each night, waking grimly, fussing, howling, chewing on his and my fingers (though rejecting every teething toy i have tried so far) and neither of us is enjoying life much right now. : I have read some reviews of Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets that make them sound very appealing and just wondered if anyone had tried them and what they thought of them. I do not just want to ride this out but i am in no way interested in allopathic pain relief for a 4mo old, and i have had luck with homeopathic remedies for myself. any comments?
#2 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:17 AM

we've found some, not total, but some relief with hylands teething gel.
#3 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:17 AM

They worked for us! They are actually 3 remedies in one, so one of the 3 is bound to work. You could also consult a homeopath and figure out which one is the correct remedy for your child. Also, a homeopath I spoke with said to ignore the directions on the jar. Just dissolve a tablet in some water in a bottle or sippy and shake it up and let your child take little sips throughout the day.
#4 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM

They helped dd with her two-year molars.

-Angela
#5 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM

they definately help.
#6 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 AM

I love them! I whip them out whenever she gets cranky and it helps every single time.

Lisa - dd 6-06
#7 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
They did nothing for my dd. At all.
#8 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 AM

We didn't havemuch luck with Hylands, but my ds TOTALLY benefitted from homeopathic Chamomilla tablets. He gets exceedingly irritable and upset, and these chill him out in no time. We even tried Motrin and didn't have such good results.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#9 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 01:39 AM

DD just got her first 2 teeth and Hylands have been our magic potion. I put 2 in her mouth and in about 20 minutes she's back to her normal cute self again. I think she's learning to associate them with relief because she gets excited and makes the "get in my mouth" face when she sees them. I thought maybe they were sweet so I tried one, they taste like nothing.
#10 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 AM

Our doc threw them away quickly when I brought in a bottle to show her - she knew what they were and doesn't recommend them, but that's her... I trust her 100%, so we never used them.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#11 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 02:06 AM

We use them! They have such a calming effect on ds, he usually either calms down or falls asleep soon after taking them.

Marcy, mama to Asher (8 yrs) and Kaia (6 yrs)
#12 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2bja View Post
Our doc threw them away quickly when I brought in a bottle to show her - she knew what they were and doesn't recommend them, but that's her... I trust her 100%, so we never used them.

That's pretty silly. MDs are well known for knowing nothing about alternatives to traditional medicine. There is nothing the least bit dangerous in them. At worst they're useless.

-Angela
#13 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 02:21 AM

She's not convinced of the use of them - all natural doesn't always equate to all good (phen phen anyone), and I trust her 100%. If she says she won't give them to her babies, then I won't give them to mine. She's very good with alternatives to the OTC meds out there, too...

Just posted what my doc recommends.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#14 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
She's not convinced of the use of them - all natural doesn't always equate to all good (phen phen anyone), and I trust her 100%. If she says she won't give them to her babies, then I won't give them to mine. She's very good with alternatives to the OTC meds out there, too...

Just saying she hasn't a clue what she's talking about in this case. Even mainstream stuff says that they are absolutely safe and can not be overdosed on.

-Angela
#15 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Wow, I would switch doctors if I had one that had such misinformation.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#16 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Of course she threw them away. They aren't prescription, and if something natural DOES work you wouldn't need her.

Hyland's teething tablets contain:

Formula:

Calcarea Phosphorica 3X HPUS - supports dentition
Chamomilla 3X HPUS - for irritability
Coffea Cruda 3X HPUS - for wakefulness and diuresis
Belladonna 3X HPUS (0.0000003% Alkaloids) - for redness and inflammation
In a base of Lactose (milk sugar) NF.

Available in bottles of 125 quick dissolving tablets.

Really the only thing even close to dangerous there is the belladonna, and with everything it's a matter of amount. Every medicine your Dr. gives you is posionous at the right amount. Hylands has been making these pills for at LEAST 30 years. My local IBCLC gave them to HER children 30 years ago.

I'd be pissed my ped threw out something I bought to help my child. Especially given that it isn't dangerous for her to have.

My son has excema. I use Burt Bee's Hand Salve on it. She suggested Aquafor, but didn't through my salve away. Why? Because it was MINE I bought it and he is my child. I come to her for medical ADVICE. Advice. Nothing more.
Quote:

I thought that looked off. I googled phen phen. There's nothing. Phen-fen was taken off the market. It was a pharma produced drug that caused heart attacks.

Perhaps you are thinking of ephedra? Which once again has a purpose, and it's all about dosage, and knowing what you are taking.

I don't trust any doctor 100%. That's just asking for problems. Research what they tell you. You'd be suprised how often they have no idea what they are talking about.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#17 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM

I just bought some (at the NEX overseas, wonders never cease!) and the two times I've used them so far for my 7 m old they seem to have helped. They're so tiny that there is no chance of choking, and they don't drip back out of DS's mouth like tylenol did both times I tried that. Plus, they were cheaper than any of the other teething remedies available, which is always nice.
#18 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:

MDC isn't really known as a place that reveres any doctor's words over the experience of hundreds or thousands or more of moms.
#19 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 12:48 PM

I think we are on our third or fourth bottle. Dd has been teething since she was four months old. She is 13 months now and has eight teeth that have come through and has moved on to cutting molars now. Most of the time Hyland's works for her... and well. I even talked to the pharmacist at Target about them and she said there was nothing in them that could cause any harm at all. She said the amount of belladona in them was so diluted that it was highly unlikely to ever see a negative situation result from using them. (BTW Target sells them for $3.99 a bottle-the cheapest place I have found so far). We love them. We carry a bottle in the diaper bag, have one in our bedroom, and one in dd's room.
#20 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usolyfan View Post
(BTW Target sells them for $3.99 a bottle-the cheapest place I have found so far).
Not FAIR! Our Target doesn't have them. I've looked everywhere. Where are they stocked at your Target?

-Angela
#21 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Not FAIR! Our Target doesn't have them. I've looked everywhere. Where are they stocked at your Target?

-Angela
She is in OR and you are in TX. They probably figure the demand for a natural product wouldn't be as great in TX. I live in MN (where Target is based) so there is a Target every 5 miles or so. The selection of goods (and some pricing!) varies greatly depending on the demographic makeup of the neighborhood.

love.gif

#22 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki View Post
Of course she threw them away. They aren't prescription, and if something natural DOES work you wouldn't need her.

Hyland's teething tablets contain:

Formula:

Calcarea Phosphorica 3X HPUS - supports dentition
Chamomilla 3X HPUS - for irritability
Coffea Cruda 3X HPUS - for wakefulness and diuresis
Belladonna 3X HPUS (0.0000003% Alkaloids) - for redness and inflammation
In a base of Lactose (milk sugar) NF.

Available in bottles of 125 quick dissolving tablets.

Really the only thing even close to dangerous there is the belladonna, and with everything it's a matter of amount. Every medicine your Dr. gives you is posionous at the right amount. Hylands has been making these pills for at LEAST 30 years. My local IBCLC gave them to HER children 30 years ago.
:

I would recommend researching homeopathy - the amount of belladonna actually in the tablet is miniscule - almost nothing. Homeopathy is all about dilution and succussion. Most docs know NOTHING about it and would call it a placebo. They usually aren't fans of alternatives.

I'd be curious if she tells you that Tylenol, advil, vaccines, etc ARE all 100% safe?
#23 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 02:40 PM

I tried them for ds1 and they did nothing.

didn't even try for ds2.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#24 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM

They worked for ds1 and we've used the teething gel for ds2 with very good success.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#25 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 03:16 PM

They work like magic for DS whose getting a mouthful of teeth at once.

: mom to my little monkey 01/2006 my HBAC baby girl born 09/2009 
#26 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Hylands Colic tabs worked for us. Hoping their teething products work for us too because I think Ds is starting...

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#27 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulatigirl View Post
we've found some, not total, but some relief with hylands teething gel.
:

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#28 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 PM

The teething tables work really well for ds.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#29 of 39 Old 02-08-2007, 05:17 PM

At my Target (TN), the Hylands are behind the pharmacy counter. Ask your pharmacist if they have them.
#30 of 39 Old 02-09-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
She threw them away?!?! Seriously?!:

Did she at least reimburse you?

You know, I had a pediatrician I trusted 100% once...trusted him with my daughter, my first son...and then he almost killed my youngest son because he didn't know what he was talking about. I will never trust another doctor 100% with the lives of my children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page