Shoulder pain, back pain, hands tingling and other baby carrying woes.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My shoulder has been in pretty decent pain for about a week, like I can't lift my arm above my head. DD2 used to sleep in the crook of my arm, then she got so heavy my hand would fall asleep, so I would put my arm above her...but now my hand randomly falls asleep if it's not in perfect position while in bed. And then there's just all the random aches and pains of carrying around a 2 year old and an almost 19 pound baby. I didn't realize she was that heavy and hadn't been using a sling often enough, usually I just hold her on my hip, but I think that's why my shoulder is screwed up.

Anyway, I wanted suggestons on where to turn. Should I see my family doc first? Chiro? Massage therapy? Physical therapy? What do you think?

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 PM

I'd start with a chiro, but be sure to see one who can give you exercises and things you can do on your own. I loved mine because I didn't have to keep going again and again when I had back troubles - he gave me yoga-based exercises to do and core strengthening, how to care for flare ups and suggested natural supplements for my particular condition.
I also recommend a wrap! Sooo much easier on the body than my sling!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have a wrap but the reason I barely use any carriers is that DD is super wiggly and I'd be popping her in and out of it all day, it seems easier to just pick her up, but clearly I'm paying the price. Do you just tie it on at the beginning of the day and put them in and out as needed? I have a Moby and it gets a little hot.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Chiro definitely. I notice that I have to go in frequently when my babies are little, and then it gets better the older they get, the less I have to go in.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:12 AM

I have been having similar issues with my body. For the first four hours of the day DS is on my hip. I have been working out more- more free weights for the upper body- and I have noticed a HUGE difference. Not only does my upper back, shoulders and elbow feel better, but I have smoking guns too

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 AM

The chiropractor is a good idea, but as a massage therapist, I'd also suggest a good upper body massage. Maybe just a half hour even if you're on a budget. Let your therapist know specifically what's going on and I'm sure you'll get relief. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 AM

AmieV, I DEFINITELY recommend more babywearing to save your back/shoulder/arms; I am always amazed, when I forget all babywearing options at home, just how quickly I get tired and sore. When I'm wearing DD, I can carry her much longer before my back starts to bug me. I'd try a pouch; you just slip it over your head and slip baby in. The wrap is great for little babies or long stretches of babywearing, but constant in-and-out wouldn't work too well (IMO). A ring sling would work well too, and if your babe decides she wants out it makes a fetching wide belt until you need to put it on again.

As for the pain and numbness, I think a chiropractor could probably help some . . . but I also suggest massage therapy (perhaps because I am a massage therapist!).
Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 AM

(*chuckle*) You wouldn't KNOW it was a cross-post (w/earthmamma), because there was a fair amount of time between 'em . . . but that's me, starting threads and not being able to finish them until half an hour later!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 AM

I suggest massage and a chiro who does physical therapy exercises. A regular chiro that adjusts won't cut it because you will be dependent on him/her and won't be doing the exercises to actually keep your back in order.

A half hour massage will give a great deal of relief as well. You will literally feel the knots being loosened by the therapist.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:02 AM

Another vote for massage/chiro combo here. (And another massage therapist, too!)

The only thing that troubles me about your post is that you mention numbness in your hand-- usually a sign of nerve impingement, which can be caused either by cervical spine misalignment or supertight muscles clamping down on the nerve. Both chiro and massage will work to decrease the pressure on the nerve, but like the other mamas are saying, it's SUPER important to work on your muscle tone and also take a hard look at your body mechanics. It's way too easy to lift things (and babies!) the wrong way, and it's even easier to fall into bad body-mechanics/posture habits.

Try to shift the baby-holding from one side to the other, avoid cradling the phone on your shoulder or wearing heavy bags on your shoulder, and check your posture when you're using the computer. Stretches for your neck, shoulders and chest (pecs) would be especially beneficial, too.

HTH!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:24 AM

massage therapy worked wonders for my constantly falling asleep arm problems.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

sweet! A medical reason for a massage? I can live with that!!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM

I hear you on getting a kid in and out of a wrap/carrier/etc. being a PITA. My MIL got me this Hip seat and I find it really helpful around the house or out on a short trip - http://www.hippychick.com/index.cfm/...category_id/65 It helps to avoid that hip-jutting posture and really makes it more comfortable without the hassle of getting in and out.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.

User Tag List