question: cleaning baby toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-23-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just recieved some used baby toys and i was wondering whats the best way to clean them? my 8mo is teething and of course is putting things in her mouth, i dont want to clean them with something so toxic as clorox disinfectant and i know rinsing them in water isnt going to clean them very well, beside the fact that some things have batteries in them
#2 of 7 Old 02-23-2007, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like to spray a rag with vinegar/water from a spray bottle. Then I wipe the plastic toys all over and let them dry. If a toy is too hard to clean, it gets donated to Goodwill.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#3 of 7 Old 02-23-2007, 04:39 PM

Well anything without batteries I would put in the dishwasher or washing machine, depending on what they are made of. Maybe you can spray the stuff with batteries with vinegar then peroxide and whip it clean.

Quote:
"You can use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to disinfect your kitchen counters, produce and even your cutting boards. All you need is three percent hydrogen peroxide, the type you buy at the drug store, vinegar (white or apple cider), and two clean sprayers, like the kind you use to mist plants. Fill each sprayer separately, one with peroxide and the other with vinegar (don't mix them together in one bottle - that makes peracetic acid, which isn't safe and can give you a bad chemical burn). Spritz the item you want to disinfect, first with hydrogen peroxide and then with vinegar, then rinse off under running water. University tests show that this technique killed more potentially lethal bacteria, including Salmonella, Shigella, and even E. coli, than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner."
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chri...de_vinegar.htm
#4 of 7 Old 02-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Pen

We wipe down the wood toys with a vinegar and water mixture. We put the cloth toys in the washing machine. We don't use the rest.
#5 of 7 Old 02-23-2007, 05:48 PM

on a related note: is it ethical to throw away used toys someone has given you?

example: neighbor gave us a box full of toys (we didn't ask for them, just a happy surprise) and many are plastic. we have no use for plastic toys.
#6 of 7 Old 02-23-2007, 05:51 PM

ethical? I would donate them to a thrift store or battered womans shelter if you don't want them.

If you throw them away they will be wasted and someone will go out and buy new ones.
#7 of 7 Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 PM

I have heard to use mouthwash on toys. Like listerine. I bought all of my dd's new so I just wash them with soap and water. But if I got them from someone else I would use the mouthwash.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page