Lots of feeding = growth spurt... what about lots of sleeping? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
For DD's 10-day, 3-week, and 6-week "growth spurts", I never really did notice the classic sign of more feeding. I didn't notice any change in her behavior at all, nor any sudden growth.

She has been regularly sleeping through the night since 3 weeks old, and now sleeps from around 9:30 pm to 7:30 am. (I did not encourage her to STTN... she does this on her own.) She also takes several mini-naps of an hour or less, as well as a single 3-ish hour nap during the late afternoon.

Last night she went to bed about an hour later than usual b/c DH and I were out, and I had to wake her up this morning to feed her at 8:15. She stayed awake for maybe an hour or so, and fell asleep for 2 hours. I had to wake her up again and she barely ate. I set her down on the floor in here w/ me while she was awake, but she fell asleep again within 5 minutes and is still sleeping an hour later. I haven't had to wake her up to eat since she was a slightly jaundiced newborn and was pretty much sleepy all the time.

Did any of you have DCs that slept a lot when they were going through a growth spurt? Other than the sleeping, she doesn't have any other changes in her activities.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J, ***4***8***12***16******24***28***32***36***40**
I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#2 of 4 Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm...I'm trying to think about that link here and not coming up with much. But I know my babies have had the occasional sleepy day, and I had no idea why. Stands to reason it could have something to do with growth spurts. I often attribute my toddlers' sleepy weeks with growing...

She might not feed more often but perhaps she's feeding longer, too. I haven't ever really noticed growth quickly per se - I think babies just do things to increase your milk supply as they require more, and it tends to be on a predictable pattern of however many weeks. My ds's did those frequent feeds right on those days they tell you they will. I've never noticed it at all with dd - and she's a big sleeper too (8 pm til 3 or 4 am right now, then right back to sleep til 7).
#3 of 4 Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Yep, DS sleeps way more during a growth spurt. Around 3 months it was the most pronounced.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#4 of 4 Old 02-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Yup, we sleep more through growth spurts too, and I don't necessarily notice a huge amount of growth, though. She tends to really eat a lot for a few days, gets my supply all ramped up, and then SLEEPS for a week and isn't interested much in eating, so I leak all over myself She'll also sleep a lot on Mondays after the weekend, or if we go out for most of a day she'll sleep a ton the next day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page