July 06 mamas: get yer March on! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THanks for the responses on feeding solids, yes it is all so overwhelming. Why do the fruits have to be cooked? Is it to prevent choking? The reason I ask is because my son favorite thing to do is suck on whole peaches. apples. plums that we are eating. When I try cooking them he doesn't want anything to do with them.
Is the general rule this: a baby can eat almost anything you eat as long as A. they dont choke and B. they dont have an allergic reaction?
Thanks!
Sarah
#482 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamama11 View Post
THanks for the responses on feeding solids, yes it is all so overwhelming. Why do the fruits have to be cooked? Is it to prevent choking? The reason I ask is because my son favorite thing to do is suck on whole peaches. apples. plums that we are eating. When I try cooking them he doesn't want anything to do with them.
Is the general rule this: a baby can eat almost anything you eat as long as A. they dont choke and B. they dont have an allergic reaction?
Thanks!
Sarah
strawberries are an allergen and other raw fruits might cause baby a tummy upset.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#483 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 01:45 AM

Sarah: get thee a book called "Super Baby Food", and that is the greatest resource for all this! According to that, in the 8th month cottage cheese can be introduced.
My babysitter gave Amara fried potato pancakes today. Yeeeaaaaah. Lessee how this goes. We do lots of this soft, natural cheese we can get here called "Panela" and avocado and banana. We are also doing sweet potato but she's not a big fan. She loves to munch on anything at all but especially what I've got. We do cheerios n raisins too while she's in the high chair. Organic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice View Post
Wow, Soapdiva, we managed to crosspost the same words at the same time. *cue Twilight Zone music*
And then someone else on another thread said the same! Like, it's a big deal or something. Jeez. But that is weird that youguys posted samethingsametime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNB View Post

I'm really enjoying following these threads each month, for both the adult camaraderie, and to see just how expansive "normal" is. And not just in terms of baby development, but also, more metaphorically, in terms of life in general.
In your search for this "normal", do not cast your glance my way. Or Miss Juice's, either, for that matter, for you will be led sorely astray.
#484 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamama11 View Post
my son favorite thing to do is suck on whole peaches. apples. plums that we are eating.
History of allergies in family? Be aware. Otherwise, have fun! I do the whole fruit thing too but watch the skins for chokies.
#485 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
Sarah: get thee a book called "Super Baby Food", and that is the greatest resource for all this!
:
Or if you don't have time for a book, start here.

I like to steam the fruits to soften them in the early months as they are learning to eat. It's because they don't have teeth in the back. The tougher fruits like apples and pears are easier to be gummed when softer and less of a choking hazard. They don't have to be mushy, just a little softer.

Once you've introduced nearly everything, it's easy to just give them a little of whatever you're eating.

Late night (or I should say 'early morning') posting is over for me. My dd1 woke up screaming a little while ago and now I'm wide awake. She was having a bad dream. It took me a second, but I realized she was saying "the ants are on me!" Spring has sprung here and the ants, wasps and bees are furiously at work outside and she's been a little apprehensive lately. Poor baby having a nightmare about ants "getting" her!
#486 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 03:49 AM

The Great Senior Title Hunt is about to commence.

I need one but am clueless (no shocker there..I'm clueless about everything!)

any ideas???

#487 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 04:41 AM
WNB

Joining the picture madness...
Homemade soaker

Split-pea soup is YUMMY
#488 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05 View Post

any ideas???
er...clueless??? :

I have no imagination.

Kim -happy to hear about the move and dh's job. Wonderful news. Missing you!

elsanne - in my book you are quite normal - sorry
#489 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 04:52 AM

i've got it! wait till u see

#490 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 AM

Kim, mega-congratulations on the Even Better Offer! Can't wait to see you on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD View Post
awesome: I caught it all on film
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RLznr47YRaU
But it didn't work! It's still snowing here. Thanks for your efforts.

Quote:
Like, it's a big deal or something. Jeez.

In your search for this "normal", do not cast your glance my way. Or Miss Juice's, either, for that matter, for you will be led sorely astray.
1. Why don't you just taunt me with your tank top weather? That'll brighten my spirits.
2. Verily. I can't wait for it to be warm enough for Ethan to wear his "My mom is weirder than your mom" jumper. Of course, I bought the 18 month size thinking it would fit him this summer, and now it's probably too small.

Quote:
Ooooh, I can't wait to see. I had an idea for finding one, but it looks like you've got it covered. Waiting breathlessly for the magic moment...

Quote:
Super-sweet soaker on a truly edble baby!! And love the pea soup pic. DS loves it too, but needs a thorough scrubbing when he's done.

Tanya, I was wondering what you were doing up at that hour I hope you went on to get some rest. How's your boy this morning?
#491 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenka View Post

elsanne - in my book you are quite normal - sorry
Gah! Say it ain't so!!!

Quote:
[/url]
I could just eat her, and that soaker, right up!

Quote:
1. Why don't you just taunt me with your tank top weather? That'll brighten my spirits.

Tanya, How's your boy this morning?

1. Okay. :

2. :
#492 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Sarah: get thee a book called "Super Baby Food", and that is the greatest resource for all this! According to that, in the 8th month cottage cheese can be introduced.
I use that book as a resource as well...though a few warnings: she is obsessed with "super porridge" like it is a gift received from God. She advocates way too many solids too soon - I found her "schedule" very offputting. She is also obsessed with all things anti-bacterial which we all know is not a good thing. That said, I like reading up on when she suggests different foods, cooking suggestions, etc.

I gave my ds a fresh pear yesterday in a mesh feeder and he had a great time gumming it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
:

Late night (or I should say 'early morning') posting is over for me. My dd1 woke up screaming a little while ago and now I'm wide awake. She was having a bad dream. It took me a second, but I realized she was saying "the ants are on me!" Spring has sprung here and the ants, wasps and bees are furiously at work outside and she's been a little apprehensive lately. Poor baby having a nightmare about ants "getting" her!

Quote:

any ideas???
Gee, "I'm clueless about everything" sounds like a perfect one

Quote:
Homemade soaker

Split-pea soup is YUMMY
ADORABLE!!
#493 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Els, you crack me up. But really, I was talking about her boy, not making further fun of you
#494 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Coulda fooled me! Wasn't she talking about dd1 getting up in the night? Is something going on with ds I don't know about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
I use that book as a resource as well...though a few warnings: she is obsessed with "super porridge" like it is a gift received from God. She advocates way too many solids too soon - I found her "schedule" very offputting. She is also obsessed with all things anti-bacterial which we all know is not a good thing. That said, I like reading up on when she suggests different foods, cooking suggestions, etc.
The other thing that drives me bananas is how she's all "healthy, healthy, healthy, then stick it in the microwave! Ba-da-bing!"
Hm.
The antibacterial craze could be a) the U.S. culture and b) CYA for legal purposes. Also due to sue-happy U.S. culture.
#495 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 PM

My boy is doing fantastic this morning. I made a believer out of dh with the vitamin C. He got megadoses all day, the bowel tolerance kicked in this morning. And no more fever! And he wanted to give him motrin.

Thanks for asking, though! I'm so glad he feels better. We're going to go to the park in a little while. I took the dd's to the engagement party last night while ds and dh stayed home. Dd1 got all dressed up and someone said "You look like a princess!" She got all giddy, clapped her hands and with a huge smile on her face said "Yes!" I don't know where she gets it, but it certainly is cute. She even accessorized all by herself. She got her little purse and carried it around with her all night. Too cute.

I have to go, but there's so much I'd like to comment on like cute babies, senior titles, and all. I'll have to settle for next time!
#496 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 04:52 PM

Due date was July 4. After "miscarriage" and "rediscovery" of pregnancy changed to June 23.

DD wanted to be a July baby, and was born on the morning of July 1.

Will post more soon!
#497 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 05:00 PM

I'm sure I'm a rogue, irresponsible, etc. etc.

DD began grabbing food off of my plate at 4 months (actually, slightly before..anyway).

Since then (she's 8.5 now), I give her whatever she wants, except for shellfish and peanuts (after 12 months or so, it's on...can't wait to just throw a pb and j sandwich at her and call it good). In the meantime, she eats just about everything (her only dislikes are squash, salmon, and grapes, but I think I can turn her around on the squash with some nutmeg or something). Only allergy so far is cinnamon, and that seems to be a skin reaction. She's had everything under the sun, otherwise...from filet mignon to general tso's tofu to guacamole, etc. My girl loves oranges and strawberries (BAD MOMMY!), every dairy except cow's milk (my IL's gave her whipped cream and ice cream!), tomatoes (loves 'em raw), etc. We suspect she's had chocolate and peanut butter at the IL's (hmm...why does Katie smell like a peanut butter and nutella sandwich?). We just follow her cues.

I am SO anti-anti-bacterial. I hate it. I banished it from my house. I've never been a germ-o-phobe, and I've read too much about how it HURTS people. And i'm lazy. So, regular soap, some vinegar and water, etc. Katie crawls on the unwashed floor (seriously, the kitchen floor has not been mopped in FOREVER), eats out of the dog's bowl (gonna work on that one soon), and is fascinated with the bathroom (yes, I clean the toilet, but I'm not doing it between every use).

Yeah, I don't sweat the small stuff too much.

I'm pretty easy-going, but def. tend toward the mainstream around here.
#498 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 PM

Welcome kathee! Jump right in, the water's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
After "miscarriage" and "rediscovery" of pregnancy changed to June 23.
Wow. I can only imagine how intense that must have been. How long was it before the "rediscovery"?

I'm right there with you on the dirt and the anti-antibacterial thing. Also the laziness but I try not to talk about that too much DS Ethan is my third babe, and boy have my standards (which were not all that lofty to begin with) slipped.
#499 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Sarah: get thee a book called "Super Baby Food"
I LOVE that book. It's a great resource.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#500 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
Due date was July 4. After "miscarriage" and "rediscovery" of pregnancy changed to June 23.

DD wanted to be a July baby, and was born on the morning of July 1.

Will post more soon!

That's crazy!! I can't imagine the rollercoaster...

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#501 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:

any ideas???

No ideas here, but congrats!

#502 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydensmama View Post
Thanks, do NOT get me wrong I love my boys, but ohhhhhhh how I long for a little girl. I live through my neighbors and all of the girl pics on here! Ok enough of that!

I so know how you feel. Two boys here! I'm guessing when I get pregnant again it will be a boy. I've come to grips with it.

#503 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 06:28 PM
WNB

Holy cow, you un-miscarried?! That must have been quite a day for conflicting emotions: joy and rage (at the misdiagnosis), all at the same time. I'm glad the joy won in the end and you got your July baby

Re:dirt, germs, etc -- I am a pragmatist. I can't turn myself and my husband into different people, so I realize my house will never have floors that all people would be willing to eat from. Myself, I'd approach the "eating off the floor" question case-by-case, examining closely for dog hair and considering the sticky-factor of the food involved. On the other hand, I am - so far - trying to keep baby hands from going directly from dog-mouth into baby-mouth. This, too, may turn into one of those "lost causes" as she becomes more mobile, and the dogs get used to her. (Now they sort of make themselves scarce when she gets close, unless she has something yummy like split pea soup all over herself.)
#504 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Welcome kathee! Jump right in, the water's fine.
Wow. I can only imagine how intense that must have been. How long was it before the "rediscovery"?

I was told at six weeks (beginning of Nov) I'd miscarried. I went in, "newly" pregnant in Feburary to find out how far along I was, after being told they "might not be able to tell much without an ultrasound."

The wonderful OB/GYN that day admitted that he was confused after feeling my belly (my fundus was at my belly button), and sent me across town for an ultrasound in case I was having twins.

I was 20 weeks along.

PS...I wasn't being sarcastic about the OB/GYN...I loved that he was willing to admit that he had (his words) "no idea what was going on". He was the one on duty when I started labor...sadly, the shift switched midway through, and I ended up with "the Beast" who wanted to induce me four weeks early (I was fighting her throughout...I won. :-)
#505 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Kathee, that sounds like an emotional roller coaster! What a story you will have to share with your babe later!

I finally got a pic of the new do and I thought I'd throw in a couple of my princesses at the engagement party, too.

My dd1 in her party dress

My baby and my niece at the engagement party. My baby is in her party dress, too!

Two pics of the new do at the park today:
With my babe sleeping on me

It's so much shorter now and I love it! I can wash it and leave the house with damp hair and it still looks good later. I've never been able to that with my hair longer.
#506 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 07:18 PM

awww i love the pics soooo cute

and look what my little baby learned to do today hehehehehe i was sooo excited

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bvs3wIFt9x0

he is farting and pooping aww the cuteness last soo long until u change a nasty diaper heheheheheheh

i been mia we r searching for a house what joy

ayah

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#507 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytomahmoud View Post
awww i love the pics soooo cute

and look what my little baby learned to do today hehehehehe i was sooo excited

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bvs3wIFt9x0

he is farting and pooping aww the cuteness last soo long until u change a nasty diaper heheheheheheh

i been mia we r searching for a house what joy

ayah

ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#508 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 09:24 PM

Tanya: Love the do!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#509 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Tanya, your DDs are so precious! The first one looks like a little angel
#510 of 755 Old 03-17-2007, 11:20 PM

aYAH, he is sooo precious and he and Amara crawl exactly the same!

Tanya your hairdo and your kids are both beautiful! Your daughter is really quite the princess...such a beautiful girl!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page