Ontario moms-were u given choices? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-26-2003, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have any of you Ontario mamas given birth in a hospital here in ON?? what's 'normal' with respect to testing/interventions etc

after u have the baby, do they take him/her to do tests etc?? what tests do they do/"offer"? (pku?, do they give the vit K eyedrops? do they give teh baby shots of anything?etc)

i want to research them b4 the baby gets here so if they say 'i'm just gonna take the baby for a bit' i can be more informed.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#2 of 6 Old 05-27-2003, 06:23 PM

hi,

i had my baby at home with a midwife so i may not have all the information you need, but i would recommend asking your midwife/doctor.

they do a pku test, vitamin k shot, and antibiotic cream in the eyes ... i was able to decline or accept them ... but you may have a harder time doing so in a hospital setting ... again, i would ask your doctor/midwife, or do some online searches.

hope this helps!

best of luck,
mary
#3 of 6 Old 05-28-2003, 04:06 PM

I had my first dd in an Ont hospital....
I had a section (not planned, but necessary in the end), so after dd was out...they cleaned her off and wrapped her up and brought her to me...then her and dh went back up to the room, I had to wait until I could move my toe in recovery....so I was gone about 1 hr dh said.

I'm not sure about what things they did to dd after they got her out....but after dh and her went back to the room, they were left alone....dh said that no one came in to take her, but to see if he needed anything.
After I got up there, they didn't do anything until the next day, we all bathed her. Other then that and coming in to help with bf if we needed it, we were pretty much left to ourselves. The second day they came and did the heel thing and took some blood, but she was gone for 15-20.....(I'm sure they told me what they were doing, but I don't remember anything but the heel thing and blood...so if they did anything else...I don't remember : )

I was a little un-informed the first time around....so I'm probably not too much help. All I know is my hospital and dr's were great as far as bf....never gave her anything at all and very helpful...and she roomed in the 4 days we were there and they only took her to do those things the one time.
I will ask more questions this time around....but all in all, I'm happy with my hospital.....
#4 of 6 Old 05-30-2003, 12:28 AM

IMO- DONT let them take your baby out of your sight. the Nurses are a bit rough, and may give your baby something you dont want him to have. I had a MW hospital birth, and had to butt heads with the nurses a few times in getting them to understand that My choices were mine and mine alone, and I was sticking with them. Once they relized that I was holding firm they wernt very hospitable to me: . I saw a tape of a freinds baby have a bath, and the way the nurse was flipping the little babe around, and the wailing was distressing. My dd didnt have an actual bath until about 7wks.Be VERY VERY clear in what you want or dont want. (Im not intending to insult any nurses out there, but the ones I have delt with wasnt a pleasent experience)
#5 of 6 Old 06-06-2003, 08:15 PM

hi Saffiya,
i had my baby at home but i read 'the thinking woman's guide to giving birth' before, just in case i had to be transferred to hospital. it's written for the usa and Canada, but my midwife reassured me that things are a lot better here in canada re interventions, and with midwives being able to practice int he hospitals. if you feel anxious, it's a good book to read as it outlines all the interventions that could occur in a hospital setting and how to talk about what you don't or do want should the question arise. i ended up making a list of all the things i wouldn't accept and my doula was the one who would liase with the staff, as she was familiar with them. in the end i didn't need it, but going through this process gave me peace of mind as i'd worked through all my anxieties beforehand. this is said to make birth easier.
apart from interventions, make sure you tell the nurses not to give the baby bottles of water, as it interferes with breastfeeding establishment. also ask for rooming in with the baby.
I'm sure everything will go well for you, but it helps to do the worry work,
Istamama.
#6 of 6 Old 06-14-2003, 09:40 PM

Hi Saffiyya,

Our three and a half month old daughter was born in a hospital here in Ontario. It is 'law' in Ontario that the child have the PKU test done (heel prick). The nurses and Dr. were furious with me for refusing the Vit K shot, but I stuck to my refusal. I had to sign a form saying I was going against the advice of my Dr. and blah, blah, blah.... I also refused to let them give the eyedrops until after an hour had passed so that we had that initial time to bond with our baby (not easy for her if all she sees is blurred). From the second she entered the world, our daughter was with us. She did not leave the room for a single moment. The one time she had to go somewhere was down the hall for a hearing test and my husband carried her there and held her while they did it. Stand firm and although they may try to pressure you otherwise, remember it's your baby and you have the duty to act in her best interest (whatever it is). Best of luck to you!
Tara

41 year old mama to three beautiful girls (19, 16, and 11)

Wildly, passionately, eternally in love with my dear husband.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page