What are your favorite baby-proofing items? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-12-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'Tis time to baby proof our house (oh, joy). What are your favorite products, what worked well, and what didn't work at all? There are a gajillion types of cabinet locks, outlet covers, foam corner protectors..... help me narrow down our choices. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 PM

:
#3 of 7 Old 03-12-2007, 07:16 PM

The Parents brand of outlet covers are great -- you press them in the middle to release -- the other ones tear up your nails trying to get them out. We got ours at Target.

We also like the Prince Lionheart brand of rubber edge covering for the coffee table. It works fine and saves from bumps and bruises. There's also corner guards we put under the corner edges of the countertop in the kitchen - I don't remember the brand but we got them at BRU.

We have several different brands of childgates (we also have pets and they work well for both baby and dogs), but the best one we found for the stairway was from www.onestepahead.com -- it permanently installs and swings both ways. We got a super extended one for the TV/media area from amazon.com, with a gate in the middle. If you need something like that, PM me and I'll dig up the link.

I know some people don't like childgates but in our case, it's much easier to gate off areas than to risk our child being injured by equipment, etc. It's a personal choice.

We also got a rope ladder from onestepahead.com that we keep in our closet, as my childhood home caught on fire when I was young and I'm paranoid about being trapped on the third floor.

We haven't used any of the cabinet locks that require installation yet but will (we've got a couple of bags of them from my folks and the ILs that they used). They all seem to be pretty much the same, except I've heard the magnetic ones do NOT work. Others here can offfer more on whether that's true, hopefully. We did get one of the ones that is shaped like a skinny, long U and hooks through the handles. It works okay but if she pulled really hard on it, she could get it open.

HTH!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#4 of 7 Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 PM

The only thing I've ever bought that is a *baby proof* item, is the lion heart brand spongy corner guards. So far, I'm the only one who has benefited from their use
#5 of 7 Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 PM

I just bought the Saftey First table bumper but it doesn't fit our square coffee table snug enough. I hear the prince lionheart brand will work better for us.
#6 of 7 Old 03-12-2007, 08:19 PM

I don't know the brand, but the outlet covers that we got are great. You actually take off the old ones and put these on. The part where you plug the lamp/etc into twists and as soon as you unplug the item they snap back to closed.
#7 of 7 Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 AM

We've gotten all our baby-proofing stuff at http://www.totsafe.com. We use similar outlet covers to the ones pp talked about - they slide over when something is unplugged. We got some outlet plugs locally that turned out to be choking hazards. I really like the way the sliding outlet covers look, too...

We've gotten nice toilet latches there which don't snap off.

We got our gate for the stairs (we live in a raised ranch) at Target - the Evenflo screw-in model. It's unstained maple wood, so less ugly than a plastic gate.

She's not even crawling yet, but other babies have visited and passed the test My DH and I are very safety-conscious - anything that's an "immediate or permanent danger" we've tried to baby-proof (i.e. electricity, water, choking hazards, cleansers, knives). I've had to convince DH that we'll let table corners and what-not be exposed (a small cut on the forehead isn't immediate danger IMO). We did put away our coffee table though...

HTH,
Erin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page