I slinged my niece! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-30-2003, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh and I babysat our 7week-old niece tonight for the first time. She is a fussy baby and my bil has little patience for her crying. SIL is fine with her. Anywho, I'm the one who posted a little while ago that they wouldn't use the sling I lent them, yet they complained about her fussiness. So, I tried it myself tonight (similar sling) and it worked!!!!!!! I told them when they picked her up, too! Only thing is, she had one too many layers on and so, she got too hot and sweaty inside the sling. I kinda had to wake her up to remove some clothing and they picked her up before I could get her clothes back on (chilly outside tonight). Hope they take a hint, but I'm doubtful.: Anyway, had to share!

~Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-30-2003, 10:38 AM

A sling can work miracles, can't it? Let's hope they take the hint...

Kristin
#3 of 5 Old 05-30-2003, 04:06 PM

I did this too! My SIL and BIL had a new baby and the next week, the big family reunion was on, right next door at my MIL's house. SIL was in tears, b/c baby wouldn't sleep and she was spending too much time at her house, trying to settle him, and missing out on the fun. They had a sling, but were using it wrong. The baby was hanging like a sack of potatoes. So I took charge. After he nursed, I put dn on my chest, cinched up that sling as tight as a bug in a rug. His feet were touching his chin. He slept for 3 hours! they kept coming over to see if he was OK. Of course he was, he was in heaven.

She "only " nursed her other 3 sons for about 12 mos. This little guys is still going strong at 3 yo! (Thanks [partly] to me giving her Dr Sears Christian parenting book.) I hope you can influence your relatives too. It can be tricky.
#4 of 5 Old 05-31-2003, 12:11 AM

I was at a wedding this weekend, and both my mom and my sister took a turn slinging ds so that I could dance, enjoy my meal, etc. It was awesome! Neither had used a sling before I started with my children, but they are both so open to new ideas. In fact, my sister has become a pro with the sling and has walked my ds to sleep in it many times. She and her husband were slow-dancing at the wedding with my ds in the sling in between them. Omg, it was so sweet to see!

On a related note, my husand and I had some friends over for dinner a few nights ago, ds was getting really fussy, so I walked him in the sling to settle him down. One of our friends recently became a grandma, and she said that after seeing me soothe ds with the sling, she was definitely going to keep one at her house for her grandchild! ANd she asked me for a few tips and practiced with my sling.
#5 of 5 Old 05-31-2003, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

It's great when you spread the word to others about slings, isn't it?!!! I must confess, I keep my sling over my shoulder, even when dd isn't in it, just so people will notice it and ask questions. I sure could've used bumping into someone wearing one when my girls were smaller. I think the more public exposure we give slings, the more use they'll get as word spreads about how wonderful they can be for nurturing little ones!

~Melissa

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page