Babymooning-tell me about it. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having a babymoon sounds great, but what are the benefits to baby? Does anyone have links/articles to share? I'm very curious. TIA.
#2 of 3 Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 PM

I don't have links or articles, but I think the benefits are obvious. Mama-baby and Daddy-baby bonding are crucial in those early days. Mama bonding especially to assist with establishing a good breastfeeding relationship.

Especially for FTM, repeated visitors can put a real strain on BF. FTMs may feel awkward, uncomfortable, and inexperienced. I did. I had a hard time finding the right way to hold dd so we were both comfortable while nursing. Also, I wanted to be naked for weeks. I wore nothing but a robe. Dd also wore nothing but a diaper except the few times we went out in those early weeks. It was great. We had tons of skin-to-skin time, developed good BF, and got to know each others' smells.

Also, I had no desire to do anything but hold and stare at my beautiful baby for weeks. My body felt pretty roughed up (long NCB, no interventions, uneventful, but I had a rough recovery anyway) and I just wanted to sit and nurse. And baby wanted to nurse every 30 min to 2 hrs. Also, she was BF all night long so I was a bit tired/in la la land and just didn't have an appetite for visitors.

Those early days/weeks are a crucial time, IMO, to just soak up your little one and establish your relationship. It's a time of wonder and a really intimate, private family time. Passing the baby around to visitors was hard on me. I didn't like letting go of her for any reason - it felt wrong. And I had one really bad experience in the hospital:

Dd needed to nurse. I knew that was why she was starting to fuss. She was 2 days old. There were about 5 people in the room - dh, MIL, SIL, dh's great-grandpa, and me and dd - and a lot of chaos. I was wearing some sort of nursing nightgown and trying to get dd latched on, but it was a nightmare and I just wanted to tear the thing off and be buck-naked so I could properly nurse her. Dh asked if I wanted help as dd was getting fussy, I asked him to hold her for a sec while I tried to fix my stupid nursing shirt, and MIL ended up interceding and instead of handing dd back to me (which is what she needed!!!) she started rocking her and saying "My babies always liked this." I was so mad, I gave dh this look of absolute death. He was PO'd at his mom too. He told everyone to get out and as soon as they were gone, I tore my shirt off and dd was nursing great and happy again. I bawled about that incident, though, b/c of pp hormones, sleep deprivation, and the agonizing feeling of having MIL trying to comfort my baby against my wishes and it being the opposite of what dd needed. Anyone - anyone - taking away or keeping your newborn against your better instinct, including for to comfort the baby, is heart/gutwrenching.

That might sound like a small incident, but it was a huge deal to me at the time. Next time, we're babymooning and probably not telling anyone the baby was born until it's already been a week! I want some real solo time with the baby at the beginning. It's so important. And it's my personal opinion/experience that anything mothering-related that has such an incredibly strong instinctual basis is also good for the baby.

Sorry I didn't have any articles or links. Just personal experience. Did you try googling it?

Julia
dd 11 mos (I'll be one year old tomorrow! : )

P.S. Obviously, not everyone will feel the same way about this, just as some moms are very happy the nurses will take the baby away to the nursery.
#3 of 3 Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 PM

A link to this article came up on the Mothering homepage just now:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...g/at-rest.html

It seems to address babymooning.

Julia
dd 11 mos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page