Anyone have a baby who doesn't pee much? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2007, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems most people have issues with heavily wetting babies who need extra-absorbent diapers, etc., and I'm wondering if anyone else has a baby who DOESN'T pee a whole lot.

We use cloth and do EC, so I'm pretty on top of how much ds is peeing. He is a chunky chub and is gaining weight well, so I'm not too concerned, but it does seem a little bizarre to me. He is four months old (tomorrow!), and often only pees once every 3-4 hours. When he does pee, it's not like he's flooding his diaper or anything like that. For those who know cloth diapers, we use a two-layer microfiber insert in a pocket diaper, and we'd probably only need to change ds 3 times a day if we waited until the insert was fully saturated. His diaper is certainly wet in the morning, but has never leaked overnight (he wears a Bumgenius AIO to bed).

Is there any medical reason that anyone knows of that would account for not a whole lot of pee? We had a rough start, medically speaking, with ds (he had some breathing issues, so totally unrelated), and I think I'm extra prone to anxiety about his health.

My older boys were not heavy wetters by any means, but I do seem to recall them peeing a lot more than baby ds does.

Thanks for any insight!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 AM

You know, I've been wondering this myself. My 6 mo DD wears med. FB w/ a MOE microfiber insert and sometimes she could probably do with 4 diaper changes a day. Overnight we also use a hemp insert w/ the microfiber otherwise she would get wet. We do a little EC - at diaper changes she pees when I take her diaper off and cue her. But it's usually not a lot of pee - more like a 'token' because she thinks it's funny to pee on cue. She tries so hard to squirt a little out even if she doesn't have to. I do change her diaper at least 6x a day but probably don't need to. She's never had a rash.

We also had some issues off and on in the beginning but overall her weight gain is good - in fact in the last month is has even been excellent but still with the minimum amount of pee. This mothering thing is enough to make you : If it's not one thing to worry about, it's another.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM

We have the same thing going on here, too. At night, I use FB with 2 prefolds, and since starting that, he's never leaked through. (He leaked in sposies at night, though). But, we use FB all day, too, with just a microfiber insert, and I don't need to change it more than 4-5 times.

But...then I started thinking....I don't pee all that much either. When I was working, I would often go before I left for home, and it would be the first time all day. (so 14 hours or so--I worked 12 hour shifts) It doesn't seem to matter how much I drink, either. Pregnancy, of course, changed all that, but even now, I don't seem to go a whole lot.

Maybe it's just one of those things where everyone is different?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM

I have been concerned about this also.... my ds is 6 months old and is gaining weight fine, but I could change him only 4 times a day and it would be ok. I have heard you are supposed to get 5 to 6 "soaking wet" diapers a day. I could maybe get 4. Depends on the definition of "soaking." I do notice however, if my supply is up a bit for whatever reason, his wet diapers go up too.... so it does worry me.

And on a side note, he only poops every 3 or 4 days... he eats 1 meal of solids a day too... so this also concerns me.

But he is 20 pounds or more at 6 months so......

I guess he is fine?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well I guess I'm glad to know that there are other babies who don't pee a whole lot. Ds also only poops once every few days (and has gone as long as two weeks without pooping), so I wonder if it could be part of his efficient metabolism. He doesn't nurse very much either (usually 3-5 minutes on one side every 3 hours), and on the days when he does nurse more, he certainly pees more. My four-year-olds only pee probably 4 times a day . . . it's true that we're not a big peeing family, lol. I just never thought the "camel syndrome," as well call it, would start so young.

I think I will ask the ped. about it tomorrow at the four-month check-up.

Thanks for the responses!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Just thought I would chime in that my dd doesn't pee a ton and poos only every other day (a great volume, though).
Old 03-15-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
Well I guess I'm glad to know that there are other babies who don't pee a whole lot. Ds also only poops once every few days (and has gone as long as two weeks without pooping), so I wonder if it could be part of his efficient metabolism. He doesn't nurse very much either (usually 3-5 minutes on one side every 3 hours), and on the days when he does nurse more, he certainly pees more. My four-year-olds only pee probably 4 times a day . . . it's true that we're not a big peeing family, lol. I just never thought the "camel syndrome," as well call it, would start so young.

I think I will ask the ped. about it tomorrow at the four-month check-up.

Thanks for the responses!

Lex

I'd like to know what your ped says, out of curiosity.

My DD is also an infrequent pooer, although she does go a bit more often now that she's exploring some more solid food on occasion.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My 9 mo old only goes through about 3 diapers a day and even then there not soaked but in our case its a matter of her not getting enough milk so were having to start supplementing. I would say as long as baby is growing and meeting milestones I wouldn't worry about it

Seriously?

User Tag List