When did your babe outgrow infant carseat - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old was babe when he/she outgrew your infant carseat?
less than 3 months old 12 11.54%
around 4 months old 29 27.88%
around 5 months old 13 12.50%
around 6 months old 23 22.12%
around 7 months old 5 4.81%
8 months old or older 19 18.27%
didn't use infant carseat 3 2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-30-2003, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to make my To-Buy list (please, someone, help me....) and am wondering about the usefulness of babe's infant carseat.

I'll most likely buy one, but am wanting to weigh the length of time used against the price.

Thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 05-30-2003, 11:13 PM

We bought a Portabout 5 Travel system a month before Gavin was born with plans to purchase a Britax Marathon (now debating about the Wizard when it finally comes out) when he outgrew the infant seat.

I've got to say, the car seat alone was well worth the purchase. Depending on your climate (and when the baby is born), it's REALLY helpful - on days here when it was -5 in the morning, I could get Gavin in the warm seat, put a blanket over his head for running out to the car, and I didn't have to worry about a weeks old baby being too cold in a freezing car seat.

He's 5 months on the 2nd and is almost too large length wise (about 1.5 inches from the top, and I know 1 inch from the top is the largest he can safetly be) however, even when we get the new carseat we plan on using the infant seat inside - like when I'm taking a shower and my SO isn't home (I put him in it and then take him into the bathroom with me) or I'm trying to do dishes and he wants to see me and isn't happy on his playmat where he can only partially see me.

I've also heard that smaller babies (and even not so small babies) can't fit well in a convertable car seat - apparently on most the straps just can't get tight enough, so in a crash there would be a chance the baby could fly out of the carseat just like it wasn't buckled in at all. That, IMO, would be enough to go without something else in order to afford an infant seat until big enough for a convertable.
#3 of 32 Old 05-30-2003, 11:19 PM

My dd just ougrew her infant car seat at 5 months. We did a not so accurate length measurement which told us she was right at the height limit so she might actually have been ok for a bit longer. I really love having an infant seat and think it is well worth the money. Sometimes you just want to let a sleeping baby sleep and having the infant seat means you can move them around much more easily. They are also great in the winter or in the rain when you want to keep the baby warm or dry as you go to and from the car. The other thing to consider is that although there are some good convertable seats you can use from birth they are big and sometimes a bit too upright for a tiny newborn. They must be safe as they have passed all of the "tests" but the babies look sort of out of place in them for a bit. Evan now my dd's head flops more than I'd like and she is 5 months. All of the extra head support "thingys" that are out there are, from what I've read, dangerous to use for any size baby as they keep the seat straps from being snug enough. HTH
#4 of 32 Old 05-30-2003, 11:34 PM

with a smaller than average babe, a convertible just did not fit. I agree with Grian. Most babes seem to outgrow at 3-4 months...maybe an item to borrow from a friend who had a baby recently?
#5 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 01:07 AM

It's true that my dd belongs to the small babes...she'll be 8 months next week and juuust about to be out of the infant seat. But again, she's little.
I myself always thought that infant seat was more than great.
If I had to run errands and baby went to sleep, I could take her in and out without waking her up. It was easier to pick myself up, considering all the things you carry with you - purse, diaper bag, blanket, BABY - so the infant seat served perfectly and a stapped baby was safe.
A friend of dh is buying the Marathon for us next week, so the little seat will retire to the basement.
#6 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 01:40 AM

liam was barely 4 months when he outgrew it lengthwise (could have waited a few months on the weight). it was useful to an extent, but he was never a good sleeper in it, so he would wake up as soon as we took him out of the car and want to be held. it was nice when we were in a hurry to be able to strap him in and run for the car, or if it was raining. it was also good for sitting inside if i had to set him down or take a shower. now that i'm going to have #2, i think the sling will be easier, because i can't imagine trying to lug the carseat AND round up a toddler - even though i'll still be moving the carseat, its a lot lighter wihtouth the baby in it.
#7 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 09:57 AM

Aaron hit 26" at 12 weeks so we had to move up to the convertable seat then. I had stopped carrying it about 2 weeks earlier, as I couldn't really lift it with baby in any more. I agree with everyone else, however, that the convenience of the infant seat makes it a worthwhile purchase - I wish he had been in it longer!

Kristin
Mama to Aaron, 1/26/03
#8 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 01:16 PM

DD was 6 lbs when we took her home from the hospital and she looked sooo tiny in the infant car seat, I couldn't imagine putting her in a convertible seat. Around 6 months her head started sticking out beyond the top of the car seat (she was still about 1/2" under height limit but we cloth-diaper, which adds more bulk).

We would strap her in the infant seat in the house and then cover with a light or heavy blanket to protect her from either the sun or cold/wind. Also, our infant seat had a very adjustable canopy which really helped block the sun (a feature that we sorely miss on our convertible seat).
#9 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 02:37 PM

We really loved the infant car seat. Even when we headed out for a walk we could get her all ready inside then just pop it into the stroller.

We don't do much driving (maybe one or two outings a week), but I do miss the days when I could just strap her in once then carry her around in the infant seat instead of having to put her in and out of the car seat. The infant seat fits really well in shopping carts for trips to the store. It was really great for travel too--the convertible is *a lot* bulkier!!

Honestly it was one of my favorite things. Ah, I miss those days!

edited to add: dd grew out of the infant seat around 5 months. When we moved her to the convertible she looked really small in it--I'd hesitate to put a newborn in it. The infant seat seems to offer better protection for newborns.
#10 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 06:10 PM

I recomend an infant carseat. We, however, bought one for each car which was a big waste of $$$ because they are so portable. Dyl just out grew it (Graco SNugride) at 4 mos. So, we had to go out and buy 2 convertables, because those are not as portable.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#11 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 07:45 PM

My dd was in her infant carseat until almost a year. My ds, however, grew out of it at around 3 months. (hit both the length & weight limits!)

IMO they are a great thing to have. It's so easy to pop them in & out of the car, stroller, shopping carts. It's convenient. I didn't have a good sling with dd so it was a blessing. Thankfully I did with ds because there was no other way to get through the store!!

Angela: Mum to 3 & wife to the man in the funny suit.

#12 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 07:55 PM

We just had to buy Dd a new carseat this week. We bought the Evenflo Triumph since it had a really good CR rating (and we could afford it). I really like it and Dd seems to like it too!
I took her to her 4 month check up and she was 27" I was sooo surprised! I thought she would be in her infant seat for a year. :LOL
I think that if I were you I would get an infant one b/c they are so portable and you don't have to wake a sleeping baby. Plus, you can keep it inside so that it won't get cold sitting in the car (not really a problem until winter anyway).
#13 of 32 Old 05-31-2003, 08:47 PM

DS is a small babe, but I got a convertable when he was 6 mo because he was just about at the 26" height limit. I see babes all over town WAY too big for their infant seats. I don't know how to say anything about it. I still use the infant seat to sit him in when we take baths together (for getting out) and because I exclusively pump, when we get up in the morning I feed him in it while I pump. We also set him in it for naps sometimes. So it's still getting used on my living room floor.

I would suggest borrowing one though rather than buying. Someone bought me mine as a gift and they are useful, but not absolutely neccessary.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#14 of 32 Old 06-01-2003, 10:23 PM

...what are the height and weight restrictions on a convertable baby carseat?

Michelle in NY
#15 of 32 Old 06-01-2003, 11:23 PM

It depends on the car seat itself as to the weight/height restrictions. Ours is 22lb and (I believe) 27in height.

That being said, I know they say no matter what the babies height is, if there is less than 1 inch between his head and the top of the seat, it's too small.
#16 of 32 Old 06-01-2003, 11:34 PM

What I loved about the infant carseat is that you do not have to disturb the baby upon destination. You can leave them in the seat until they wake on there own. In a convertable carseat you have to take them out of the seat.

We used an infant carseat, convertable, and booster. Our oldest is 7 and loves his seat! He can see more, is more comfortable, and says he feels safe.
#17 of 32 Old 06-02-2003, 03:11 AM

I voted 7 months. We had a Peg Perego infant car seat. It was handy for the occaisonal time when I was running errands and didnt' want to wake her, and when the weather was too hot or cold. DD wasn't that small or light, so I'm surprised at how many voted earlier ages.

We now have a Cosco Alpha Omega and I hate it!!! The stupid thing tips over sideways all the time b/c of poor design, when DD falls asleep she's always folded over in half, the straps twist so easily...nobody buy this peice of !!!

But I'm too cheap to get another one. Sorry, I just *really* had to vent about that.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#18 of 32 Old 06-02-2003, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle1k
...what are the height and weight restrictions on a convertable baby carseat?

Michelle in NY
Our infant seat restrictions were 26" or 20 lbs.

Our convertable seat is 30 lbs. rear-facing, 40 lbs. front facing (the Evenflow Triumph)

Kristin
#19 of 32 Old 06-02-2003, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet68

We now have a Cosco Alpha Omega and I hate it!!! The stupid thing tips over sideways all the time b/c of poor design, when DD falls asleep she's always folded over in half, the straps twist so easily...nobody buy this peice of !!!

You can get it checked at the fire department for free to make sure it is adjusted correctly. Most carseats are not put in correctly. (They are pretty hard to get just right.) If that's not the problem call or write the company. Tell them you had it checked out to see if it was correctly adjusted and that you are displeased and would like some compensation. You may be very sirprized by what they do for you.
#20 of 32 Old 06-03-2003, 02:04 AM

We switched ds into a Britax Roundabout at about 4months. He was still within the weight & height requirements for the carrier but it got to be such a hassle carring him in that carrier. He didn't like being so constrained. Also it is much harder to unbuckle them out the of the carriers than the regular carseats. We were all much happier when we made the switch.
HOWEVER, for those first couple months, it was invaluable. I would have hated waking him up all those times that he crashed in his carseat as a newborn! So much easier to just leave them in there when they are so young. I say you should slurge for that expense.
#21 of 32 Old 06-05-2003, 10:34 PM

DD is 9 months old and is still at the lowest setting for straps in her infant carseat. the weight is 27lbs and the height is 29 inches for this one. dd is about 13 lbs and 24 inches now at 9 months so I think she will be in her infant seat forever at this rate.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#22 of 32 Old 06-07-2003, 01:48 AM

I debated getting the infant seat too, because it seemed so expensive for the short time we'd use it. But I have to agree with everyone else - it is worth it. We were given one but even if I'd had to buy it myself I still think I would've felt it was worth it. We put Cole in a convertible at 4 months - I think he could've gone longer in the infant seat but he started complaining every time we put him in it so we switched. He looked TINY. He was still below the weight limit but right at the height limit. I think that's why he complained - his feet were jammed up against the back of the seat.

I have the Alpha Omega and I have the same problem with the straps twisting. Also, we have it in a Toyota Corolla and it won't go in the middle of the back seat - we had to install it on one of the sides because it was too loose in the middle. Plus it's too big - it really wasn't made for smaller cars. A word to the wise: if you are using LATCH and you install the carseat in the middle of the back seat, make *sure* it doesn't wiggle from side to side or front to back more than an inch. For some obscure reason, most car manufacturers have the LATCH tether anchors placed so that you can only install the car seat on the sides, despite the fact that the safest place for the seat is in the middle.
#23 of 32 Old 06-07-2003, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first 2 used tier until about 9 or 10 months. dd#3 is a tub and at 6 months is only ounces away from outgrowing it. (dang it we can't afford another one right now)

even if we knew that we would onlyuse for the first couple of months we would still get one. we only had a convertable for 31 and it was awful. she flopped around, sat way too upright, it was hard to get her in and out. We went out and bout an infant seat after a couple of weeks. they are totally worth the money.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#24 of 32 Old 06-07-2003, 08:13 PM

I chose less than three months, but really it was right around 3 months (not one of the options). He was 25 inches at his 2 month checkup, and had reached 26, the max for our carseat, at around 3 months, so we bought the convertible carseat. I bought our infant carseat used ($15), so it wasn't so bad that he outgrew it so quickly. It all depends on your baby -- boys will probably outgrow them faster. Our baby was 21 1/2 inches at birth, so it was inevitable. Good luck

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#25 of 32 Old 06-08-2003, 09:34 AM

DD outgrew her seat at 4 months due to her height. I was a bit surprised, because I thought I'd use the infant seat longer, but hey, it is what it is!

I really enjoyed the infant seat for when we were at church during the winter months. It was great to get her in the seat and throw the cover over her, and she'd be all nice and warm going into the cold car. (We always ran late, so no time to warm up the car!) Plus, she had difficultly with taking a nap, so when we were at our wits end, we would take her for a car ride and she'd be out in no time. It was great to just bring her inside without waking her up.

I'm really pleased with it now since I'm pregnant. I already have the infant seat for the new baby, just have to buy a convertible when the time comes.
#26 of 32 Old 06-09-2003, 07:49 PM

My dd was in her infant seat until about 5 or 6 months then outgrew it length wise...her head was still more than 1 inch from the top but she was 28 in and her seat was rated up to 26 inches. her weight was fine...around 17 lbs and our seat went up to 22 lbs. most carrier/carseats go up to 20 or 22 lbs....and some newer ones up to 35 lbs...but very few women can tote a carrier with a baby past 15lbs....definantly not 35 lbs. I am very pleased that we had an infant seat first...we now have a Britax Marathon convertable seat (i love it) and the straps are still in the bottom slot...dd is 28 1/2 in now and I can't imagine a baby of 18 or 20 inches in this seat; because straps should be below shoulder level when seat is in rear facing position....I can't imagine a newborn being properly positioned and secured in any convertible seat
#27 of 32 Old 06-09-2003, 10:05 PM

My baby outgrew the convertible seat at around 3-1/2 months. He reached the weight and length limits at the same time.

Even though we didn't use it long, I'm glad we had it. I didn't really ever leave him sleeping in it, but I did like to hook it to the shopping cart when I went grocery shopping. In fact, I miss that now. He hates the sling, so until he can sit up in the front basket in shopping carts, it's really hard to shop with him. Plus, I liked the way the infant carrier was kept inside between trips. It doesn't get too cold or too hot sitting out in the car.
#28 of 32 Old 06-13-2003, 06:41 PM

DD is one today and still in her baby carseat. I expect she will fit in it for another 3 months or so. I am due in October so we will have her out of it by then. We will be getting a new van in September so we will probably make the switch then but I will miss the baby carseat because it is so nice to bring her into the house when she fell asleep in the car without having to wake her.
Those days will be long gone in a regular carseat.

Keri

P.S. DD had reflux and the only place she was able to sleep for months was the carseat - I don't know what we would have done without it.

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#29 of 32 Old 07-15-2003, 10:27 AM

Aidan outgrew his in length around 4 months which was hard because he's such a beanpole that when we put him into the convertible seat it seemed to just swallow him up.
#30 of 32 Old 07-15-2003, 11:39 PM

We used a "travel system" stroller set up with the carrier and it was very convenient for the first 4-5 months. I only got peace when DS would sleep (he was colicky) so I dared not remove him out of the carrier for fear he would wake up and start crying again. When he outgrew that we bought the Britax Roundabout....now have the Britax Marathon and just bought a Britax Husky. I LOVE Britax carseats....IMO worth every way too expensive dollar.
The key is to buy a set up that suits YOUR budget and taste.
Just make sure you know the height and weight restrictions of the car seat you buy and adhere to them.
Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page