Do Breastfed Babies get constipated? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anna hasn't pooped since late Saturday night, it seems like she's going a day or two before she finally lets it all out. And when she does, I can literally scoop it out of her diaper because there is so much poop Every poop has been a blow out since birth, I don't know how to control it when it finally comes

I've done some googling, and have found hundreds of articles and comments that breastfed babies rarely get constipated, and the poop will come when it comes. Sometimes babies can go 3 - 5 days without pooping.

Anna is pretty gassy, she isn't always uncomfortable, but today she has been fussy and looking like she is trying to poop, but all that comes out is air. Poor little thing, we've done belly massages and pressure under her belly button but still nothing but gas.

I'm also thinking we're experiencing our first growth spurt. She has been nursing every hour on the hour since we woke yesterday at 6am. My boobs hurt, and she is just filling up and filling up. I thought the more she nursed, she'd push the poop out that hasn't happened.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Shelley, mother, wife, sister, aunt, friend.
#2 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 01:09 PM

I don't really know but I think it's possible to get constipated no matter what kind of food baby eats. My DS (exclusively bf) occasionally goes a day or 2 without pooping and then when he does I'm shocked to see how much comes out! The days when he doesn't go he is more fussy, gassy, and cranky. This doesn't happen often and I just assumed it was normal baby bowel behavior.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#3 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 01:12 PM

constipation is guaged by the consistency of the poop, not the frequency. if it's soft enough to be scooped, it's perfectly fine.

my two went as long as 8 and 9 days before going, so i did a lot of reading! it turned out to be typical at the 3-4 week mark they were at at the time.

hth!
#4 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 01:13 PM

Ds#2 was pooping regularly until around 2-3 mths (I think?), then he started going up to a week in between. Now at 6 mths he goes every 2-3 days and is EBF. There is just so little waste with BM. I do notice that he grunts and seem a little uncomfortable right before he goes, but it doesn't seem to bother him too much. I wouldn't worry as long as the consistency is soft.
#5 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 PM

My dd did the same thing. She would poop every 5-7 days around the two-month mark. Bf'd babies can go upwards of two weeks without a bm and be fine. Because bm is the perfect food for babies, their bodies are able to process the milk with little waste.
#6 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 01:36 PM

It's not constipation unless it's hard. It's normal for breastfed babies to go a long time in between poops. DD used to go at least a week until she started eating a few solid foods. It worried me also when she started doing that. I'm almost glad she goes more frequently now because those week-long waits meant we'd be doing an entire load of laundry afterwards.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#7 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:17 PM

no, i guess. that would be weird.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#8 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviabolivia View Post
My dd did the same thing. She would poop every 5-7 days around the two-month mark. Bf'd babies can go upwards of two weeks without a bm and be fine. Because bm is the perfect food for babies, their bodies are able to process the milk with little waste.
yeah that!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#9 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:20 PM

My son was a very colicky baby from about 3-6 months. Never had a bottle in his life, even of pumped milk.

From about 4-6 months, he would poop EVERY NINE DAYS. on the clock. I could not go anywhere on the 9th day, because nothing could contain it. And we used cloth.

SO to answer the origional question- YES Unless of course, constipation means "hard poop" But I would classify not pooping for 9 days somewhere in there.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#10 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM

ds2 once went 11 days without a poop while EBF, he was 4 months old and we were on vacation. ever since then he goes at least once a day, but once in a while he'll skip a day.
#11 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:27 PM

BF babies can go 10-14 days without pooping. I have read that they generally cannot get constipated, but the way to tell is if the poop is hard, not by length of time or grunting/dtraining.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#12 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Well, I guess I should re-phrase. It definitely does not fall within the norm of a toddler, or adult. I know babies do use breastmilk very efficiently.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#13 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your responses ladies!! Since I posted this around noon time, Anna has pooped lol another famous blow out :

Shelley, mother, wife, sister, aunt, friend.
#14 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedmama View Post
It's not constipation unless it's hard. It's normal for breastfed babies to go a long time in between poops. DD used to go at least a week until she started eating a few solid foods. It worried me also when she started doing that. I'm almost glad she goes more frequently now because those week-long waits meant we'd be doing an entire load of laundry afterwards.
Ditto.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#15 of 16 Old 03-24-2007, 06:03 PM

I'm glad to see this post--my 3.5 mo son is having the same issue...only, he seems *really* uncomfortable. We went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and he went 5 days w/o pooping, had a couple of really thick soupy ones, and then went another 4 days w/ nothing. He had trouble eating and was moaning and screaming after he ate just a tiny bit, so DH took him to the doc yesterday, and (traumatized) said okay to a suppository. The resulting poo was much thicker than usual, but could still be scooped.

Anyway, he pooped once more when he got home and transformed into his normal jolly self. But he hasn't pooped since, and is starting to show the painful symptoms again.

Doc said to use prune juice or karo syrap. I'm definitely not interested in doing the syrap thing, but am not sure about the juice. He's never had anything but breast milk, and refuses water in a bottle.

Any ideas? Thanks!
#16 of 16 Old 03-24-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybuns View Post
Doc said to use prune juice or karo syrap. I'm definitely not interested in doing the syrap thing, but am not sure about the juice. He's never had anything but breast milk, and refuses water in a bottle.
Any ideas? Thanks!
my 1 mo is doing something similer, i was about to get worried but this morning we got a big diaper full. i hope that means he wont be as cranky today as he was the last 2 days.

i dont know about giving a 3.5 mo prune juice... are you taking vitamins opr eating alot of food with iron? it screws up adults systems maybe it passes through to baby? juist an idea.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page