KOsher for passover baby food - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-21-2007, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where to post this.

So my 10 month old LOVES baby cereal with juice. I haven't figured out what I am going to do for baby cereal that is kosher for passover. Does anyone make it? I am guessing I can do mazo brie. Which isn't the same thing, but he'll probably go for it. Any Jewish mamas with experience? BTW we are not sephardic.

Thanks,

Allie
#2 of 7 Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM

There is a motza meal based cereal, but I don't remember what company makes it. I know we used it for my grandmother when she couldn't tolerate solids.

Also, consult with your rabbi. Even rabbis who are not sephardic will allow leniences when it comes to small children; e.g., egg matzo (if you don't think it's okay anyway), gebroktz (same caveat), even kitnius.

HTH
#3 of 7 Old 03-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Sorry I can't help you because my 5 month old doesn't eat solids yet but had to respond because I thought I was the *only* jewish mom on this site!
#4 of 7 Old 03-21-2007, 06:32 PM

Hi,

This is definitely an "ask your rabbi" type of situation. I have always made my own baby food so it has never been an issue for me, but I think a lot of it would depend on how old your baby is and how much food he eats, etc... For exmaple, if he is 11 months old and eating eat and vegetables does he really need cereal? That kind of thing... There are so many variables that really no one here could poskin

I have a friend (adult, ashkenazic) who is allergic to potatoes which makes Pesach really rough for her. Her Orthodox rabbi gave her approval to eat rice

Ashley- there are lots of Jewish moms on MDC. WE even have a tribe on the FYT board open to Jewish moms of all levels of observance

Yonit
#5 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

thanks! I really want to use the cereal for the baby because he likes it so much, and he is in the 5th percentile weight and the pediatrician is suggesting supplementing with formula if his weight continues to drop. I don't want passover to be the contributing factor. But I plan on making a lot of yummy foods anyway, so I'd only use the cereal if he refuses to eat the other things.

Anyway, we are conservative. But my husband's family is orthodox so I know the lingo! <gebrokts, etc>.

i was hoping a major baby food company would just make a KLP baby cereal. Is that too much to ask for?

I will look for the Jewish mama group!

Allie
#6 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 AM

I'm not Jewish so not an expert on the rules of keeping kosher, but have you looked into making your own cereal? It's really easy, and tastes much more interesting than the packaged stuff. You can use a variety of grains and beans, either mixed or individually. I used "Super Baby FOod" as my reference for water/cereal ratios. But you just use a coffee grinder or blender to grind up the raw grains/legumes, then cook them with water for a few minutes on the stove. My DD loved cereals with brown rice, oatmeal, lentils, millet, and barley. She especially loved a combo of brown rice, millet, and lentils (especially with a spoonful of mashed black beans added in or half an egg yolk). So if you can find any grain or dried legumes kosher for passover, you could use them to make your own cereal. just a thought. Good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 AM

Have you tried quinoa? It's kosher for passover.
http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/quinoa/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page