If you've gate-checked your carseat at the airport... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
did you put it in any sort of bag or protect it in any way? We'll be taking our first trip in a couple of days and I'm leery about the way baggage is treated! I guess gate-checked items don't get as bumped around??

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#2 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 PM

We never put ours in a bag when we gate checked them. Just make sure all the straps and buckles are fastened so they don't get snagged on anything.
#3 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 PM

I bought one of the travel bags designed for carseats. I like that it protected it a little better, plus it had backpack straps so it was easier to tote the big seat around prior to checking it.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#4 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM

We never used anything either.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 03:57 PM

We did not use anything, but the cover got dirty. (dirt from the belt into the plane.) The blanket cover which we use got dirty when it was still on the car seat and went through the security screening x-ray. I meant to grab a clear trash bag just to keep it clean, but forgot.

Remember to remove any thing that can easily fall off, like the head rest or any blankets/toys on the stroller or car seat.
#6 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1995 View Post
I bought one of the travel bags designed for carseats. I like that it protected it a little better, plus it had backpack straps so it was easier to tote the big seat around prior to checking it.
We use one of these everytime we have to check the seat. It has several tears in it (from the airline) so I can't help but think what our seat would look like by now if we hadn't put it in the bag. We bought it at Babies R Us.
#7 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 05:07 PM

great question, accupucturemomma! We're taking a trip in 2 months and I never would have thought about this. I think I'll get one of those car seat covers bc1995 is talking about! Now that I think about it, it's kinda weird that they don't come with the carseat?!
#8 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 PM

We bought a bag for ours when we knew we'd be checking it on a flight. The bag was like $30 and we knew we would use it several times over the coming years. Since we have a Britax Decathlon, we thought $30 was a reasonable price to pay to protect our $280 carseat from being damaged.
#9 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 PM

We just flew cross country with my DD at the end of January, and although we didn't gate check the carseat (we bought her a seat for her own comfort and safety), we did gate check our stroller (BIG travel system one, not umbrella one), and I had the same concerns as you did. I've heard about strollers/carseats getting wet, broken, dirty, etc in the cargo hold (gate checked stuff still goes down, just on top for easy access), and I did NOT want that to happen. So I whipped up a cheapo cover out of an underbed storage bag. I think my main concern was just keeping it in good condition for the trip down, because we'd have to use it the entire vacation. But on the way home I left it uncovered and although it had a few scratches and the fabric was a little worn in a couple spots, it came out fine. But I'm still leary of the whole thing.

Another thing you could try is see if there are any open seats and you could just take it on the plane with you.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#10 of 18 Old 03-21-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, those bags seem like a good idea, but we don't have anywhere nearby to buy one before we leave.
As far as asking about an empty seat on the plane--we're flying first class (thanks to my mom and her bajillion million frequent flyer miles)...I wonder if the empty seat would work, as I'm sure they won't let us use an empty first class seat for that!

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#11 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 01:37 AM

I bet that they won't just let you put the carseat in an empty seat and be in first class... I bet you have to gate check it. Maybe if they have a free seat in first class...
#12 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 01:41 AM

I bought our travel bag from www.go-baby.com ; I love it! I got the Wheelie one, and it makes it MUCH easier to travel with the seat.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#13 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 AM

Just a large plastic bag to keep the straps from getting caught (had to be clear so they could see what it was). But I never considered anything else. You could always just take some spare cardboard and duct tape and make a custom contour-like box around it.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#14 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 AM

The airlines usually have plastic bags that they put carseats in when you check it in with your baggage. We have told them we plan to gate-check and asked for one and they've had no problem giving us one.
#15 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
cmg

We used a really large duffel bag when checking it (bought for checking backpacks) but the custom-made one w/back pack straps sounds easier to manage...

Gate-checked bags tend not to get squished, but they can be left sitting on the tarmac for a while.
#16 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncturemomma View Post
did you put it in any sort of bag or protect it in any way? We'll be taking our first trip in a couple of days and I'm leery about the way baggage is treated! I guess gate-checked items don't get as bumped around??
If you don't bring a reusable bag for it, they usually put it in a big plastic (trash-type) bag before they tag it.
#17 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 02:00 PM

nak

i tried a big plastic bag once, and i had no way to comfortably hold on to the seat to carry it. yes, it mighjt be cheaper, but not any eadsier, imo, especially if you are travelling alone.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#18 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 PM

We flew a couple weeks ago and got a carseat bag at Target to gate check it. It worked well. I put my coat in there too. DH got sick of carrying it though and we checked it w/ the bags on the way home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page