thumb vs. pacifier - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What is preferable, thumb or pacifier?
Thumb 70 57.38%
Pacifier 36 29.51%
One in the same 16 13.11%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had words with my MIL about this. Of course, she can't voice an opinion without declaring it the LAW.

What are your thoughts on thumb vs. paci? My 6 wk old found her thumb. She hasn't sucked it since (that was Sunday, today is Thursday). I thought it was cute (and clever), my MIL thinks it is horrid and the paci is better. I haven't given her a paci at all. What does my MIL think I'm going to do, now run and stick a paci in her mouth if and when I see her suck her thumb?

Cast your votes.
#2 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 PM

thumb
#3 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 12:32 PM

We're paci people... soothed the baby's NTS, and self-weaned by two or so... never had to "take it away" or "wean", and since my exhusband still sucks his thumb in his sleep at 45, I'm glad my kids didn't...

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#4 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 PM

My son uses a paci to sleep but sucks his thumbs when awake...I wish he would/could suck his thumbs when sleeping b/c I hate the paci, but he won't sleep w/o being swaddled so his thumbs are out of reach...

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#5 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 01:04 PM

Depends on how much they suck. If a babe sucks alot(like mine) Paci. They are specially designed for a babes mouth a thumb is not. Eventually one can try to fit the other and you have problems, plus it is easier to take away a dirty paci then wrestle a child with dirty hands to a washroom without the thumb slipping in with all those germs.
If it's just bedtime sucking then the thumb is a safe bet.
#6 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 PM

my mil did this too, she even bought us some pacifiers.
i didn't open them
#7 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Thumb, hands-down. OK, that was a really lame pun. : In The Baby Book, Dr. Sears gives some really good reasons that he prefers the thumb.
#8 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 PM

My husband has a permanent gap in his front teeth from sucking his thumb until he was 5. It was really bad when he was younger but it's a little better now.

He was never breastfed and weaned from a bottle forcibly at age 1, so I'm sure that's why he did it so much.

I don't care which one my kids use. "Whichever they prefer" is what I'd vote if it were an option. Both of mine like pacis.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#9 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
cmg

For the parents or for the baby ? Seems like baby would vote for the thumb, since it's always there... but then again, maybe the paci is a more interesting shape...
#10 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 PM

My first started to suck her thumb at 5wks, my second didn't take a paci or her thumb and my third takes a paci. I prefer the thumb over the paci. I actually prefer neither.
#11 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 PM

We actually tried to use a paci in the car a few (okay several) times because ds HATES the car. He spit it right out and I'm kinda glad, I would prefer that if he does need something that he use his thumb. My sister used to suck her thumb and I think that's much cuter than a pacifier, but that's just me. No good reason for the preference, though.

Malinda, partner to Ryan, Mama to Super-Holden (Nov 2006) and my new little bundle, Declan (Feb 2010)
#12 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 PM

My first son used a paci until he self weaned at about 9 months from it...then he didn't use anything. My 6 month old is a huge sucker...we use a paci with him. My reason is because, even though I know most stop sucking their thumbs around 2 or 3, my best friend all through grade school sucked her thumb. She was in the 6th grade sucking her thumb, and I don't know when she quit, or if she even did quit...she moved away in the 6th grade. I think since then, I have a little bit of a complex about my kids sucking their thumbs. I don't force a paci on my 6 month old though...if he wants to suck, I'll try it, and if he doesn't want it, he can spit it out. (Does that make any sense?)
#13 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM

My vote is thumb. i like that it is not plastic. I did try a paci in the car a couple of times when she was freaking out. Sofia will not have anything to do with it. So her vote would also be thumb, or rather fist since that has been what she has been putting in her mouth.
#14 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 05:58 PM

We would have preferred thumb b/c it was more in their control and less of a temptation for us to use it as an all purpose thing. But in the end, neither of my children used either one. Go figure? I nursed ... and nursed ... and nursed and used my finger ... and nursed. Hmmm...

Becca
#15 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Well, I voted thumb, because my first choice (breast) wasn't an option.

I admit, it's hard being my dc's "paci," but neither one liked pacifiers or sucked their thumbs because they got all the sucking they needed at the breast...

Of course, I realize this isn't an option for some, just saying it's what *I* (and they) prefer.
#16 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 06:43 PM

a paci you can wean them from if they are still attached to it when they get older, a thumb you can not. My son could have cared less about a paci and never sucked his thumb, but dd is much more attached to her binky.
#17 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 06:52 PM

Thumb!
#18 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Since I have a two year old who won't take her thumb out of her mouth, I vote paci! My boys loved their pacis, but I could leave the pacis in their beds and not have them sucking on them ALL DAY LONG. Can't make DD leave her thumb in her bed! Her mouth has already had noticible changes to its shape, she will definitely be needing braces (says my dentist dad) - ugh!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#19 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Why do people need to know who voted for what? It is really no ones business what you vote unless they want to tell you.
#20 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The pacifier.

It's easier to wean a baby since it's not attached to them. I'm speaking from personal experience. I sucked my thumb from the time I was born. I couldn't break the habit until I was 12 years old. My parents tried everything including bitter nail polish but the urge to suck my thumb was so strong that I couldn't help myself even though I desperately wanted to stop. My thumb was calloused. I developed a horrible overbite so I had to get braces at age 12. The braces didn't feel good against my thumb when I sucked so *that* was what finally led me to break the habit.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#21 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the thumb, for many reasons, one being that it is always there.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#22 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
the thumb, for many reasons, one being that it is always there.
I agree. That was easy.

Don't see the problem with a public poll. :

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#23 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM

I'll say paci, it's easier to wean a child from a paci, than from a thumb IMO.

My dd is obssesed with her paci, i prefer that to the thumb
#24 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Pacifiers make me want to gag....guess we know how I voted, dont we?
#25 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 PM

My kids have both used pacifiers... Both had a VERY strong sucking instinct but couldn't seem to find their thumbs. My daughter worse then my son though... She would be at the breast 24/7 if I didn't give in and give her a pacifier (she WAS for the first 2 weeks). She can find her thumb pretty easy now but seems to want the paci at night. I could care less which one she uses... I'd kind of prefer the thumb so it wouldn't get lost so often but alas, I go with the flow.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#26 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Maybe I'll answer different when he's 5, but I certainly prefer the thumb when he found it at 10 weeks and it has hardly left his mouth. When his tongue thrust reflex pushed out anything but my finger or boob, I was thrilled that I got a break when he found his thumb. Plus, it's just TOO CUTE to see a 10 weeker sucking his tiny little thumb.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#27 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
Pacifiers make me want to gag...
Maybe you should try a smaller size?
#28 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 PM

I'd say paci. Thumb sucking can cause major dental problems such as buck teeth. Not to mention they can be wean from the paci

Melissa knit.gifmilitary wife to C : Mom to Ben (4.26.06) ,Will (4.07.08), Sam (10.11.10), and expecting a GIRL in March 2013!

#29 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 11:44 PM

I'm a pacifier person because the pacifier I can throw away, but I cannot throw away her thumb. I sucked my thumb as a child and I don't wish breaking that habit onto any of my children. My mom gave my younger siblings a pacifier because, as I said, she can throw it away. And she did, and they never had to face that issue.

Honestly, I prefer neither. My son did fine not using his thumb or a pacifier. I only give one if they really demonstrate a need to suck more than is happening during feeding and Maya has shown a desire to suck a little more so I've given it to her about once every other day. However, its not a "plug" or a constant thing and I will get rid of it before she becomes a toddler-pacifier-junkie.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#30 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 PM

Thumb. It is part of them and they are learning to self-soothe. Besides, you never have to worry about leaving it or losing it. (Unless your child's thumbs are detachable! )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page