Canned baby formula laced with toxic chemical - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unbelievable!!!! I love the Environmental Working Group - they do great work & research...check this out....

A recent EWG investigation found the toxic plastics compound Bisphenol A in more than half of our samples of canned fruit, vegetables, soda, and--with the highest levels of all--in canned baby formula. BPA is used in the resin lining of the cans and is linked to birth defects of the male and female reproductive systems. Our advice? Avoid canned foods when possible and use powdered baby formula rather than canned.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/bisphenola/execsumm.php

(I wish they would have said, breastfeed and don't use formula at all if you can help it!)
#2 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 02:51 PM

powdered baby formula comes in cans...do they mean the liquid canned formula?

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#3 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even think of that since I don't use formula....I should send them an email and ask them.
#4 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 02:58 PM

They do mean the liquid canned formula, but it wasn't just baby formula, it was all kinds of canned foods.....beans, soup, canned pasta's etc.

This was a great study to show that we should all be nursing and that we should all be eating less processed food and more whole foods. If you are nursing mother and eating canned foods you can potentially be passing this on to your baby as well......so it's not just a warning for formula fed infants.
#5 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbaby View Post
I didn't even think of that since I don't use formula....I should send them an email and ask them.
ds1 weaned prematurely...he was fed powdered formula so I'm wondering how much I should feel guilty. please do and let me know.

#6 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinknoblue View Post
They do mean the liquid canned formula, but it wasn't just baby formula, it was all kinds of canned foods.....beans, soup, canned pasta's etc.

This was a great study to show that we should all be nursing and that we should all be eating less processed food and more whole foods. If you are nursing mother and eating canned foods you can potentially be passing this on to your baby as well......so it's not just a warning for formula fed infants.
thanks! we eat frozen veggies and fresh fruits and IF we drink soda it's bottled so we should be ok!

#7 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 04:00 PM

soda shouldn't be a problem, the study was done on canned foods that are lined with plastic coating, the plastic coating is where the chemical is coming from, not the aluminum.

The OCA (organic consumers association) gives these tips for avoiding BPA:

- Metal canned beverages appear to contain less BPA residues, while metal canned pasta and soups contain the highest levels.
- Canned foods in glass containers are not a BPA risk.
- Plastics with the recycling labels #1, #2 and #4 on the bottom are safer choices and do not contain BPA.
- One-third of liquid baby formulas have high levels of BPA. Powdered formula packaging is generally considered safer.
- Avoid heating foods in plastic containers and do not wash plastic containers in a dishwasher.
- When possible, opt for glass, porcelain and stainless steel containers, particularly for hot food or liquids.
- Do not let plastic wrap touch your food in the microwave, or better yet, avoid microwave ovens altogether.
- Many metal water bottles, such as those sold by the brand Sigg are lined with a plastic coating that contains BPA. Look for stainless steel bottles, such as those sold by Real Wear and Kleen Kanteen that do not have a plastic liner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page