giant babies, slings, and numb arms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2003, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 3 1/2 month old moose who is probably nearing 25+ lbs. He spends most of his time being toted in the sling while I chase his 2 yo brother around. I always wear him on my right shoulder and now I am experiencing some serious numbness and tingling on that arm and hand. It's been progressing over the past 2 weeks from an occasional hand tingling while I drove to a total arm/hand tingling today that is just not letting up. Any of you other big babe mamas out there ever experienced this? I would really love to be able to carry him in something that distributed the weight more evenly, but I think he's way too big for say a Baby Bjorn and he's still too wobbly for the back pack. I'm at a loss. I need my right arm. (And yes, I've started slinging on my left arm, too, but the numbness is continuing.) Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2003, 12:23 PM

I have a big baby who's 2 mo. (though not quite that big!) we use a traditional japanese wrap carrier called the kabuki carrier. it's basically a long piece of fabric with no rings, etc, so very adjustable for size. it has about 4 options for use, and can be adjusted to support a wobbly head. I found mine at peppermint.com

and FWIW it never hurts my shoulders or back b/c it wraps around both shoulders and ties at the waist.

I do sometimes have more difficulty situating her to nurse, but am getting more skilled at that.

-Lau

edited to say: I also have trouble with the sling and my shoulders.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Maybe the Packababy carrier would work for you? Its a front and back carrier that is very generously sized. I can even carry my five year old in, not that I really want to often!. It isn't all that pretty, but I have found it to be really comfortable. Because the back is long, it can support a young baby nicely.

Here's the link: Packababy

Deborah

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 06-03-2003, 10:26 PM

There is a carrier that goes over both shoulders at www.naturalbabies.com that I saw today. It shows baby facing out, in front of you. Maybe that would work? Also, there is one called a hip hammock that might work... not sure of the URL.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:14 AM

make sure your sling is sporead out too, it distributes the weight, If you are using a maya, use the sholder cap flap. The occasional massage really helps my sis whose 10mo is more than 26lbs.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:32 AM

I also have a big baby. My arms got like that from holding him. Slings haven't worked out so well for us because he is too big to fit in them the way that he should (nb carry). I used the baby bjorn with sucess and now carry him on my back in one of those pack carriers - but he is 5 months now.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:43 AM

i just want to second the packababy. i love mine!!
my dd is about 20 # and her weight is nicely distributed on both shlds and hips. and it works nicely for front and back carrying

User Tag List