9 month old won't eat solids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9 month old only wants to breastfeed. She won't eat anything more than a bite or 2 of baby food. I tried introducing fingerfoods thinking that maybe if she could feed herself she would eat something. But she won't even put the food in her mouth to try. She puts everything in her mouth except for food. I've loved breastfeeding, but I'm looking forward to the shift where she just breastfeeds occasionally and not for all of her nurishment. Help!!
#2 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Some babies are ready for solids at 6 months, while others aren't interested until they are a year old or even older. Keep offering solids and eventually your baby will start eating them (they all do at some point!). Nurse first and then offer solids. If she eats, great. If not, at least you know she's being nourished by your breastmilk. For some babies, up until they are a year old solids are just recreational... they play with the food but may not actually be eating any of it!!

My son was the same way at 9 months... he only ate bits and pieces of foods at the most. He didn't really start to eat a lot of solids until he was over a year.

Just as all babies don't crawl or walk at the same age, they don't all start eating solids at the same age either.

Also, it's a good idea to offer only one new food each week so if there is any allergic reaction you'll know which food is the problem.
#3 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 PM

my son is 8 months and wotn touch solids either but he knows how to feed himself but he just wont do it

i understand it is very frestering cause them eating solids gives u a break that is much needed

but the only thing we can do is wait them out lol which is going to be a long wait

ayah

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#4 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son was like this -- he would play around and eat a couple bites of food, but never enough to "count". He just turned a year last week, and has really gotten interested in solids just in the last few weeks - and now I think he's eating us out of house and home! Don't worry, it will happen!!
#5 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 10:27 PM

My 9-month-old just started really eating. One day she started picking up food and putting it in her mouth and chewing. It was weird, no warning. She would mostly just play with things prior to that, but I made little things available to her at our normal mealtimes just in case. So I'd keep offering age-appropriate finger foods and try not to worry about it. We have the most luck with things she can feed herself. Still doesn't like anything pureed.
#6 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 PM

relax momma -- BTDT -- my 16 month old is still 95 to 90 precent EBF depending on teh day and refused ALL food till month 13, and only actually took any intrest at month 15. BUT since i got preggo seems MORE into BM than before......

CRACKERS -- he has teeth and can walk -- and oh what a big boy he is with a cracker in his hand.

but today -- for example -- he had 1/5 rye crackers, 5 oz of yogart and 4 toddler fruit chewies and 3 bits of a creal bar (little bits) and that was ALL DAY not just one meal.

realx -- you are the perfect food. DC will eat in good time.....never met a first grader yet who didn't!!!

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#7 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Some babies instinctively avoid solids until later because of allergy/sensitivity issues. My mom (an allergist) has had some interesting cases with her patients with some kids instinctively avoiding allergenic foods into toddlerhood. Don't worry, just follow her lead and your babe will eat eventually!
#8 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 PM

That's Bastian. He turned 9 months old last Monday and has really only flirted with food. He likes it really strained and smooth and the only finger food he's gone for is Oatios. Complete opposite of his big sister. However, he'll put any toy or book he can find in his mouth and shred it within 60 seconds.

9 months is still so little. I figure I'll start to worry if we hit 18 months and he's still only going for O's and strained carrots and pears every few days.
#9 of 23 Old 03-26-2007, 11:22 PM

Totally normal. They should actually be getting their nutrition from breastmilk for the whole first year.

If baby won't self-feed at all, then they're not ready for solids.

-Angela
#10 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 AM

My DD is just now starting to have a real interest in food other than mommy milk. I look at videos of her when she was first starting solids and cringe because I see that she wasn't ready.

I suppose that the best advice I can give is unfortunately that they really will eat when they are ready and forcing it just leads to stress on you both.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
#11 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 01:24 AM

I could have written the OP! My ds is also 9 mos and won't touch solids! I just figure he'll eat when he's ready

Marcy, mama to Asher (8 yrs) and Kaia (6 yrs)
#12 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMarcy View Post
I could have written the OP! My ds is also 9 mos and won't touch solids! I just figure he'll eat when he's ready
Me, too--except mine is 10 months old.

It was pretty funny, actually--we went to the ped for a WBV yesterday. Ped kept telling me--"Really, it's not a big deal at all, she'll eat when she's ready." She was convinced that I would be worried, even though I kept telling her I wasn't!

Dd had reflux when she was little, and the ped did say that (along with the allergies) might be another reason why she would avoid solids--i.e., until her stomach matures more.
#13 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auelle View Post
I'm looking forward to the shift where she just breastfeeds occasionally and not for all of her nurishment.
This didn't happen for us until DD got her molars in--around 15 months. Up until then, breastmilk was the staple and food was mostly just little nibbles and experimenting with the texture. It made sense to me--it must be terribly hard to chew before you have molars.
#14 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auelle
I'm looking forward to the shift where she just breastfeeds occasionally and not for all of her nurishment.
still waiting at 16 monhts

i am really tryig to encourgae it as i am due in Nov -- but .........

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#15 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Ds just turned 9 months and hasn't really had much to eat besides BM. I think he likes "the idea" of food better than actually eating it. I make things available to him when we sit down to eat but he usually just takes a few bites and is done. He would much rather play with it. Yesterday we tried carrots for the first time. He had 4 bites and was done. He'll eat when he's ready, they all do.
#16 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytomahmoud View Post

i understand it is very frestering cause them eating solids gives u a break that is much needed
This actually isn't really true. Even when your baby starts eating solids they may not nurse less at all. Lots of nursing is for comfort!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#17 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 01:58 PM

My DD (12 mo) isn't into solids either. She just eats a few bites per "meal" (if you call three black beans and one bite of cheese a meal.) However, she does like to nibble on crackers throughout the day. Some kids just aren't into solids until later.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#18 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
This actually isn't really true. Even when your baby starts eating solids they may not nurse less at all. Lots of nursing is for comfort!
darn i was hopeing when my son started eating solids it would give me a break awwwww i never win heheheheh

last night was the worse ever i just wanted to cry i tried to give my son some veggies that i made and all he did was hold his hands out like it was proison or something and cry soo i tried to comfort him and he calmed down and i left him in his booster but where he could see me and let him play with the food and nothing he just stared at me and the food lol than my hubby goes over their to try to fed him with a spoon big mistake he screams bloody murder and when he put the spoon down he stops screaming than he looks at me like please save me from this evil food soo i out him up and he plays and than wants to nurse goo figure but i was soo tired and drained

all he does is nurse and he nurses every 3-4 hrs at night and we co sleep but iam just soo tired

ayah

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#19 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytomahmoud View Post
darn i was hopeing when my son started eating solids it would give me a break awwwww i never win heheheheh

last night was the worse ever i just wanted to cry i tried to give my son some veggies that i made and all he did was hold his hands out like it was proison or something and cry soo i tried to comfort him and he calmed down and i left him in his booster but where he could see me and let him play with the food and nothing he just stared at me and the food lol than my hubby goes over their to try to fed him with a spoon big mistake he screams bloody murder and when he put the spoon down he stops screaming than he looks at me like please save me from this evil food soo i out him up and he plays and than wants to nurse goo figure but i was soo tired and drained

all he does is nurse and he nurses every 3-4 hrs at night and we co sleep but iam just soo tired

ayah

Stop forcing the solids. Really. He'll eat when he's ready. Dd didn't have but the tiniest tastes until a year. She was 13 months by the time she'd eat a couple of tablespoons total in a whole day.

-Angela
#20 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 03:06 PM

we took the pressure off. We put DS in his highchair while we eat and would put a couple of things on his tray (a cube of bread.. a piece of broccoli.. a slice of cantelope). He'd mash it about and occasionally eat some of it.

He is 9 mos and still doesn't eat much but he ENJOYS it now. That's the most important thing. I have to kind of laugh at myself for desperately trying to get him to eat a teaspoon of unseasoned, mashed sweet potato. No wonder he wouldn't eat it! But he loves brocolli sauteed with garlic/oil...guacamole... falafel. Tasty things!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#21 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post
we took the pressure off. We put DS in his highchair while we eat and would put a couple of things on his tray (a cube of bread.. a piece of broccoli.. a slice of cantelope). He'd mash it about and occasionally eat some of it.

He is 9 mos and still doesn't eat much but he ENJOYS it now. That's the most important thing. I have to kind of laugh at myself for desperately trying to get him to eat a teaspoon of unseasoned, mashed sweet potato. No wonder he wouldn't eat it! But he loves brocolli sauteed with garlic/oil...guacamole... falafel. Tasty things!
Great approach.

I think it's often a mistake new mamas make... to try to force/push food too much. Even with my 2 1/2 yo, he often won't eat much at all during the day and I have to remind myself not to push it. You can't make them eat, and it can become a battle of wills which you will not win!

So good job McG!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#22 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 PM

I haven't had a chance to read other replies but wanted to add that at 9mo my Ds could take or leave food. He just didn't care. Around 10.5-11mo his interest really picked up, practically overnight.

Also, many kids who continue to rely on just BM for their first two years are later found to have strong food allergies. Its as though they instinctively know to be cautious around solids.
#23 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Mine was the same way at 9 months and I was feeling so overwhelmed with bfing all the time and then the next day he was sick so I felt kind of bad that I was feeling that way. But at 9 1/2 months all of a sudden he loved food. Now he snacks a little all day, but some days he doesn't eat hardly anything. He's seems happy so I'm not worried.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page