Does anyone else have a baby who chews their tongue? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 4 months old.

I've noticed lately he looks like a cow chewing cud. He does this throughout the day, here and there, and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. I checked his gums but it doesn't look red or irritated.

Anyone have any ideas???
#2 of 17 Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 PM

My 7 month old does as well....hes cut no teeth so I don't know why he does it!!!

One of the many baby mysteries

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 17 Old 03-31-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
My son is 4 months old.

I've noticed lately he looks like a cow chewing cud. He does this throughout the day, here and there, and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. I checked his gums but it doesn't look red or irritated.

Anyone have any ideas???
My daughter is 8 months old and does that all the time. I think it's mostly because her mouth is tender and is heading tward teething and/or she is just exploring her mouth. Maybe learning how to use her toungue.
#4 of 17 Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

I won't worry about it then. It just looks weird!
#5 of 17 Old 03-31-2007, 10:03 PM

My baby ahlso started that at 4months. But at 5 month I cannot remember him doing it to much, I have to look more carefully throughout the day (I got so use to it).
#6 of 17 Old 03-31-2007, 11:07 PM

My babe is 4.5 months and she has been doing this for a few weeks. She is teething for sure, though...tons of drooling, biting on everything, sucking on her hands, and has two teeth about to pop through at any minute (you can see/feel them).
#7 of 17 Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I would think it is related to teething. But everytime I look at his gums, they look normal to me. He has been drooling lots lately and stuffing his fists in his mouth at every opportunity (increased fussiness as well). I just wish I knew why there doesn't seem to be anything there.

He has also had increased gas. It is inexplicable to me, since nothing in my diet has changed. I eat practically the same foods every day and have since he was brought home from the hospital (I've eliminated dairy and eggs, though). Could that have anything to do with the teething process? How could he suddenly develop a food sensitivity at four months? I am pulling my hair out here trying to figure out what I shouldn't eat!
#8 of 17 Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Yup, my 4.5 month old has been doing that for some weeks. I think he just thinks it's funny. He chews on his tongue, then sticks it out between his gums and blows bubbles that way, too. I blew raspberries at him a few times with pursed lips and now he keeps trying to do it, but for some reason he thinks the tongue is involved (maybe because most bubble-blowing involves his tongue?) so he purses his lips up in this funny way but he can't quite imitate what I'm doing because he has his tongue sticking out.

I think his tongue is his favorite plaything. He does with it everything he can.
#9 of 17 Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Dov sounds just like Ingrid! She is blowing raspberries all day long.

I think she chews on her tongue, too, and I just noticed this morning that she has sort of a cut/abrasion on her tongue, on one side near the tip! She doesn't have any toys with sharp edges, nor does she have teeth. It's pretty puzzling.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#10 of 17 Old 04-01-2007, 02:12 PM

Mine chews on the sides of her tongue. I never thought anything of it since I do it too. I've done it my whole life.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#11 of 17 Old 04-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
I would think it is related to teething. But everytime I look at his gums, they look normal to me. He has been drooling lots lately and stuffing his fists in his mouth at every opportunity (increased fussiness as well). I just wish I knew why there doesn't seem to be anything there.

He has also had increased gas. It is inexplicable to me, since nothing in my diet has changed. I eat practically the same foods every day and have since he was brought home from the hospital (I've eliminated dairy and eggs, though). Could that have anything to do with the teething process? How could he suddenly develop a food sensitivity at four months? I am pulling my hair out here trying to figure out what I shouldn't eat!
I have a 4.5 month old...
I could have written this post verbatum.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#12 of 17 Old 04-01-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
I have a 4.5 month old...
I could have written this post verbatum.
Wow, that makes me feel so much better....someone else who knows how frustrating this can be! I'm so grateful for the support I get on this board.

So, the question is, what do I do? I was actually thinking of doing the elimination diet for the gas, but I don't know. I'm almost certain it's teething, but I don't know if it's related. Should I wait it out?

Harrison is just stuffing things in his mouth left and right....it has to be teething! And I know it can be months before I see a tooth!
#13 of 17 Old 04-01-2007, 09:48 PM

My ds is 5.5 mo and does this all the time. Occasionally I will think he got hold of something he is not supposed to have and is eating it. Thank goodness it is just his tongue.
#14 of 17 Old 04-01-2007, 10:32 PM

mine does that too!! and has been doing it since he was 5 months old (now 6,5 mths)
I´m sure it´s related to teething tough, he does it obviously more when he´s droowling a lot as well..

i wouldn´t worry about it, unless you could tell he´s hurting himselves...

angela
#15 of 17 Old 04-03-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
Occasionally I will think he got hold of something he is not supposed to have and is eating it. Thank goodness it is just his tongue.
:

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#16 of 17 Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Mines been chewing his tongue for about 2 months now ( he's 6 months). It does look funny, I definatley think it's teething related.
#17 of 17 Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 AM

I chew my tongue, as does my father, my brother, and my niece. My son hasn't done it yet that I have noticed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts. We mostly do it (without realizing we are doing it unless someone points it out) when we are concentrating on something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page