solids, when to increase to 2 meals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-05-2003, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My oldest DD did not care in the least for baby food. To her it was a net fun thing every few days, but up till she started table food, she was only interested in maybe a few tablespoons per meal, and only one meal per day. She loved that breast! Grace started solids at 8 or so months, and didnt care for them till she got finger foods... and even then, it was several months on finger foods before she cared for more than one meal a day, like 11 or 12 months old.

Now Lily, she is a different story. She started showing readiness (watching me eat, smacking her lips, getting indignant that I was not sharing) right about 5 months. Because her tongue thrust was still in evidence and she could not sit up unassisted, I decided to wait on spoon feeding her. Occasionally I would let her sit in her high chair and give her a bowl with watery mushy baby food and tell her to have at it, whatever she could manage to get in her mouth she was welcome to, but that I wasnt going to spoon feed her till her 6 month birthday. (To some it would seem cruel, but its what good literature says and i was tired of fighting with that tongue thrust!).

Straight out of the gate, and for every day since, Lily has been eating at least 3/4 of a small jar (or 3 or so tablespoons) of food per meal. You should see this child vibrate and squeal in anticipation when she sees that spoon. If you make a mistake and think she is finished and try to put it away, she makes a sound that she does not make any other time... an escalating high pitched mewling sound! And keep it comin mama, no slackin on how fast you get that tummy stuff in my gaping maw. She has also started nursing more often in this second week and is not sleeping as well.

Yesterday, she had her customary amount at lunch, and wanted some of my dinner as well. So I gave it to her. This is not the first time she has responded this way, just the first time I decided to feed her twice in one day. Lily has NEVER ONCE spat up any of the baby food, and she is processing things well, regular bowel movements. She is nursing just as much as she ever has, so I do not feel as if I am in danger of overfeeding her. I'm going to follow her cues, of course. But her cues are telling me that she (at least some days) would not turn down 2 meals a day.

Is there an arbitrary sort of date I should wait for, like 7 months, or a length of time after she starts solids to begin to do 2 meals per day, like a month or six weeks? I cant find any literature on that one.

Thanks for any advice or input here. I know we are all about following baby's cues here, I just want to check that it's okay in this and that I am not going to hurt her digestive system.
#2 of 2 Old 06-05-2003, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say follow your baby's lead. It sounds to me as if she's ready....and she's still nursing a lot, so she's getting plenty of mama milk. As long as you're feeding her healthy foods, and her BMs aren't showing huge undigested chunks of things (some undigested bits are normal, just as they are for adults), I think you're fine following her lead.

Here's Kelly's website on solids for the breastfed baby: lots of links.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page