~*~*~ *November 2006 Mamas ~*~*~ Welcome to April ~*~*~* - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 338 Old 04-29-2007, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought my diet, but really, I eat very few things. She had bad reflux, and so I went on an elimination diet. I pretty much eat only chicken, ham, a few veggies. No dairy, no nuts, very little fruit (citrus bothers her too.) I am just stumped over here. AF did return this week, despite me BF every 2 hours at night: :, but would that affect HER going to the bathroom?? Thanks for any help, mamas.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#302 of 338 Old 04-29-2007, 04:08 PM

I think AF could affect it, if you're someone whose hormones go wacky. (She visited me too, last week but my theory is twice a week I have class/travel for 5, 5.5 hours at a time without space to nurse or pump.) Otherwise, I don't know.

The rule of thumb, though, I believe, is to wait until you get at least two or three weird diapers before panicking -- that is, unless there's bleeding (panic immediately and get to a doctor) or lots and lots of fussiness (don't panic yet, but do call a doctor and see whether panicking is on the horizon). The fussing you described sounds like it could really have been from the discomfort of the stool not passing, so it's unlikely to indicate a greater problem.

So I advocate wait-and-see.
#303 of 338 Old 04-29-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
Ok everyone. Sorry if this is TMI, but I didn't know who else to ask. DD didn't poo for three days, and finally went last night. It was not runny, really, the way her normal BF poos are. It was more the consistency of peanut butter (sorry! I know! I know!) with thicker bits in it. All she has had that is different as far as I know are a few sips of my water. Any idea what could be causing this? The smell was horrid, by the way. Not her normal BF poo at all. Thanks for any help. I hate to call the pediatrician for every little thing. She wasn't upset during or afterward, although she had been a little cranky yesterday before she was able to go.
occasionally DD's poos are slightly thicker like that, but then the next one is regular bf poo. has she gone again? same or different afterward?

11/06 and 1/09 :
#304 of 338 Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
You know, I'm so pleased DD is not interested in food or drink yet! It's so refreshing! I can eat and drink to my little heart's content...she merely watches the glass or fork or spoon travel from the table to my mouth. She's not watching the food/drink - merely the glass or fork/spoon. I know - I tested it out yesterday at a restaurant - she followed the flying spoon! Also - I only have to deal w/ BF poopy diapers!

Nope - DD is long and lean here! Very tall and slender!
It's a change for me that's for sure. DS was no where near interested or ready for solids at this age. We started him at 7 months and even then I don't think he was really ready.

And DS was long and lean, but DD is a little shorty...what gives? LOL. It's sort of freaking me out just a little.
#305 of 338 Old 04-29-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
CAUC -- same issue with the drinking and eating. I really, really, want to wait until 6 months, but I can't drink or eat or handle anything that looks like food when he's in arm's reach! So I'm thinking about it.

DS was also 20 inches at birth, but now he's 27.5. If I remember correctly, he hit 23 inches by 1 month -- made me feel really guilty that maybe something was wrong in utero that kept him from growing, because he was also a meconium baby! But he's not long-and-thin either -- all of his measurements hit within the same percentile band (about 85-90).

But I'd really like to CD with the next baby...who I find myself wishing for all the time. Am I crazy? I have a five month old and I keep sort of looking for pregnancy signs. What would I do with another baby so soon? I think DH would want me on bc, but I can't do it -- I'm not trying to get pregnant, but I can't stand the idea of making it impossible, you know what I mean? Am I the only one?
I'm thinking about letting her try to eat some things...not my fire hot Indian food, but maybe some fruit since she seems so anxious to eat it.

DD is more of a lower % baby...always has been. For a long time she was below the 5th, now she's between 5th and 10th somewhere except the head circumference which is at 25th to 50th. She looks like a chubby, giant head on this short little body. I wouldn't worry too much about your DS being a meconium baby, my first was too and he was just fine...born at 21 inches and always grew fast and in the 95th % for everything.

As for the next baby, I did the same thing when I had my first, I wanted number two within weeks actually. Now that I have two I'm willing to wait a little longer between. I do still think about number 3 a lot, but I don't mind waiting...of course that could change the minute my DD starts walking, LOL.
#306 of 338 Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM

I don't know what ds's height and weight are but he looks about average for his age. He also has some poops that are more firm. I never really thought much of it. It 's always gone back to normal afterward.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#307 of 338 Old 04-29-2007, 07:20 PM
cmg

Quote:
It was more the consistency of peanut butter (sorry! I know! I know!) with thicker bits in it.
Peanut butter poo... I like that . We EC, so I am altogether too familiar with DD's poo consistancy. She has a peanut butter poo first thing in the morning, followed by a more liquid one. My guess is it's just because she isn't watering her poo down with drool all night long. Now that she's drooling less, her daytime poos are a bit thicker, too. So I wouldn't worry about it too much... DD's poo also use to smell before I went off dairy, but you said you're already no-alergen, so who knows.
#308 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Ok everyone. Sorry if this is TMI, but I didn't know who else to ask. DD didn't poo for three days, and finally went last night. It was not runny, really, the way her normal BF poos are. It was more the consistency of peanut butter (sorry! I know! I know!) with thicker bits in it. All she has had that is different as far as I know are a few sips of my water. Any idea what could be causing this? The smell was horrid, by the way. Not her normal BF poo at all. Thanks for any help. I hate to call the pediatrician for every little thing. She wasn't upset during or afterward, although she had been a little cranky yesterday before she was able to go.
My exclusively bf baby only poops once a week in the past 3-4 wks...and it is peanut butter poo too. I have decided not to worry since this is in the range of 'normal' for bfed babies (although at the far end of 'normal') and I just make sure he DOES poop at around the 10 day mark...
No idea what 'caused it' or what I changed. We are off much dairy--but I do slip cheese in every now and then...
#309 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

We have very runny liquid poops here at the moment...
#310 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
We have very runny liquid poops here at the moment...
Us too I was thinking it might be something I am eating so I have really limited my diet.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#311 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 AM

Eating -- we plan to do baby-led-weaning here, too. Ingrid is nowhere near ready, and I don't think she will be right at 6 months, either. She is not sitting unassisted, she does not have a pincer grasp, and she is not showing an interest in food, beyond watching us eat. She will get to it eventually.

Poops .. she sometimes has the thicker, sticky ones as described. I'm not worried about it.

Wanting another baby-- I do for sure, but not yet! I'm already having that feeling like, "No way could I love another one as much, another baby would get in the way, etc" which I know will not be how it is -- I'm just so into THIS baby. I got AF yesterday :
I was really hoping I would be sleeping through the night before that happened. Sounds like quite a few of us got our cycles back very recently!

We finally went on our first family trip over the weekend, to the beach. It was really fun and Ingrid went with the flow. The car trip was 3.5 hours, she had no problem sleeping in another bed, or being out wandering all day (sleeping in sling).

Speaking of slings, what is everyone using these days? We retired the moby, as she was getting heavy (about 16 lbs?) and have mostly been using the Ergo and a woven wrap. I have a solarveil ring sling that I am trying to bring into the rotation, and a mei tai that I just have not been using since getting the Ergo.

So nice to read all of the updates! Welcome to the new mamas and babies!

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#312 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOhm View Post
Us too I was thinking it might be something I am eating so I have really limited my diet.
Ditto!
#313 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 11:40 AM

another dc - hheh.. yeah. I think about it. DH wanted me to go back on the pill after DD was born but the pill messed up my body so horribly before that it took over a year for us to get pg with dd. I'm not willing to do that again. I really want her to have a sibling fairly close in age. We're not trying right now and i told DH I don't really want to start trying again until she's a year old... but well, I certainly wouldn't consider it the worst thing in the world if I got Preggers again.

peanut butter poo - DD has been having these. She has also gone 2 days without any poo before. I think it largely has to do with the amount of drool she produces and swallows each day.

DD is SOOOO interested in food. I can't eat around her without her getting worked up and upset. She wants to eat so badly. I gave her some cereal last week (yes, I know.. evil evil evil... but it was fun and she LOVED it.) and was she ever happy about that. She was insistent about grabbing the spoon and trying to feed herself. It was *very* cute. I'm not a big fan of cereal.. I mean, wth with all the carbs in American diets.. but well, it was a start. She's not at all ready for finger feeding and I have no issues with feeding her purees. Do I think it's necessary for babies to eat pureed food? No. Does DD like to eat? Yes, and I'm not going to stop her. However, I'm throwing out the cereal and we're going to start on veggies this week.

size - DD is a big girl. We have a scale here at home and I have a tailor's measuring tape. On her 5 month b-day she was 95% in length and weight.
#314 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 AM

Runny, mucousy, sometimes green-ish poops here. I attributed it to teething but she got 2 teeth and it continues. I dunno what's going on : ...

R.e. slings, I use my trusty Maya wrap w/Ruby in the hip carry.

Also noticed another Ruby added to the list!

Hope everyone is doing well!
#315 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Adam always watches me eat and drink. He grabs our cups, it's so cute. He's still exclusively BF and I don't see him being ready for solids anytime soon though. He can't sit up (he's barely 5 months) and he still has a pretty strong tongue-thrust reflex. When I try to give him a paci it shoots out of his mouth! i have no idea what Adam's weight and length are. The last time I took him to the ped's was when he was 6 weeks old and I remember he weighed 10.3 lbs and was 23 inches long. I need to know his stats before I get a new car seat.

In other news, my sil had her first baby this morning at 6:18am! Adam has a new baby girl cousin.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#316 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOhm View Post
Her ped is Dr. Jay Gordon and we as of not are anti-vax but will do the chickenpox vax if I can't help her get it naturally as a child.
Wow- Dr. Jay Gordon is her ped?! Congrats on that score! Welcome to the group...

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#317 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 PM

I have a karmababy sling that I have loved using. DD has been in it since she was about a month or so old. I also just received a babyhawk and am REALLY enjoying it. It has taken some practice to get the height perfect for her in there, since I bought one with a headrest, but she loves being snuggled in against me. Carriers can be addictive, I think! I am not really adept at dealing with tons of fabric, so I haven't tried a wrap or a ringsling. Am I missing out?

#318 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

We've got slings/carriers coming out of the wazoo!

We've got the following - all of which DD does NOT like :

Moby Wrap
Ergo
Ring Sling
Tube Sling
Wilkinet

Basically, DD just likes to be carried...is there any sling/carrier which mimics your arms????

We've also got a Karrimor Back pack carrier from DS's babyhood - haven't tried that yet!

We've also got a Baby Jogger from DD#1's toddlerhood - haven't tried that yet!

We've also got a Sit n Stroll from DD#1's babyhood - haven't tried that yet - we've never gone anywhere!
#319 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a karmababy sling that I have loved using. DD has been in it since she was about a month or so old. I also just received a babyhawk and am REALLY enjoying it. It has taken some practice to get the height perfect for her in there, since I bought one with a headrest, but she loves being snuggled in against me. Carriers can be addicted, I think! I am not really adept at dealing with tons of fabric, so I haven't tried a wrap or a ringsling. Am I missing out?
What's a babyhawk? Can you describe it?
#320 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
For inserts, I actually just bought microfiber towels in the auto section of Target. I just fold them in thirds, and they work wonderfully. And they're so cheap, too.
twogreencars, maybe my leaking issues with FBs are because of build-up. Can you give me a link for that wash you mentioned. Thanks!
What a great tip! So far we've just been using the MOE inserts they came with, but we may need to eventually add more absorbency. Will check this out the next time I'm at Target!
#321 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Ds loves his Ergo but only if I am constantly moving while he is in it. Therefore, I tend to only babywear when we go for a walk or to the grocery store. I would love to wear him around the house but he won't let me stand still! I had a wrap that I really liked but he is so big now that the fabric got too stretched after a few minutes. The Ergo is great though.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#322 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Basically, DD just likes to be carried...is there any sling/carrier which mimics your arms????
You mean something like this: http://www.pregnancystore.com/zaky.htm
except that it holds your baby against your body?

Our Moby started to get too stretched out as well, and I just switched to a Maya Tie, which I love. DH and MIL are both afraid of it, though, so they stick to the Moby. Or rather, they stick to strollers except when i guilt them into carrying him. Happily, DS is very happy-go-lucky as long as you're paying attention to him, so he doesn't care if he's being held or strolled. Though in the stroller he's taken to shouting and screeching to all the passersby. Because he's so obviously having fun, no one seems to mind.

In other news, I just had my exam on the taxation of derivatives, so I'm one exam and one paper to go!
#323 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM

Here's a pic. of Ruby in the maya.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...y/rubymaya.jpg

That Zaky thing is freaky but kind of cool

Good luck w/your remaining exam Dov'sMom!
#324 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
You mean something like this: http://www.pregnancystore.com/zaky.htm
except that it holds your baby against your body?
Heeheehee! Since seeing a photo of these on another MDC thread DH and I are always JOKING about these creepy hand puppet things!
#325 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I have a karmababy sling that I have loved using. DD has been in it since she was about a month or so old. I also just received a babyhawk and am REALLY enjoying it. It has taken some practice to get the height perfect for her in there, since I bought one with a headrest, but she loves being snuggled in against me. Carriers can be addicted, I think! I am not really adept at dealing with tons of fabric, so I haven't tried a wrap or a ringsling. Am I missing out?
First of all let me say: yes, I have a carrier addiction. We use wraps, the Ergo, and onbus the most. I have tried a lot of carriers because my DD loves to be carried and it saves my sanity to be able to pop her in a carrier and do what I need to do. I think wraps can be a bit intimidating but once you get it they are amazing. Last night I wrapped DD on my back and swept the front walk and driveway. So supportive and snuggly! When we go to work DD is in the Ergo since it is easy to snap on and off and she naps well in it. I love FH onbus! The rings look tricky but are actually very easy and it is a close second for outings.
Oh and about wanting more dc: in a word, no. We might have one more but we are very content right now to be a family of three.

11/06 and 1/09 :
#326 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 05:11 PM

oh man, I just looked at those zaky hands... weirded me out! no thanks.

11/06 and 1/09 :
#327 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 PM

We have an "over the shoulder baby holder" that my ds loves!!

Also, thanks mamas for all your comments on baby-led weaning. I'm really curious to see how it goes with ds. It seems like most mamas started with things like avocado & bananas. We haven't started with him yet, I'm not sure he's quite ready. Shouldn't he be able to sit unassisted before we try giving him anything solid?? What are the signals you watched for to see if your dc were ready?

In regards to more children....right now I'm done. But..ask me again in about 3 years.
#328 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Weird me out too... I just thought that sounded like what TGC was talking about...

I wish I could afford to better feed my carrier addiction, but because I spend most of my time sitting at my desk or rolling on the bed with baby I can't really justify it. And our basically income-less state for the next few months makes it even less justifiable, though I did drop a good chunk of change on the MT.

Dov has just started rolling over both ways, but we really couldn't leave him alone on the bed even before that because even with just rolling one way he was still able to get anywhere he wanted with a combination of twisting, flopping, scooting, etc. Now he just does it faster!

He also has this new funny habit of flopping his mouth. Okay, that didn't sound nice What I mean is, he makes eye contact, and then opens and closes his mouth a few times in close succession, frequently followed by a high pitched but low volume shriek. He LOVES it when we imitate him, and we can keep a silent "conversation" going for some time like this. (possibly forever, but I always get tired) DH caught a great video where it's really clear that he's responding to me. MIL is convinced he is trying to talk but hasn't quite gotten the hang of the vocal chords yet, and I'm not sure she's wrong.
#329 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
What's a babyhawk? Can you describe it?
It is a brand of Mei Tai carrier. I will post a link in here as well. It is very supportive, and DD loves the front carry. As she gets bigger I can use it for back carries as well.

www.babyhawk.com

I am thrilled with the workmomship on these as well.

#330 of 338 Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymakesthree View Post
I love FH onbus! The rings look tricky but are actually very easy and it is a close second for outings.
What's a FH onbus?!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page