~*~*~ *November 2006 Mamas ~*~*~ Welcome to April ~*~*~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jumping on a little late
my son was born on my birthday! 11/9
i was just thinking this morning how i cant belive its almost been 1/2 a year!
he's so much fun. very frustrated that he cant quite sit up on his own or crawl yet. it's really pissing him off!
#62 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 06:10 PM

I'm also interested in the CLS issue. The Ped at our appointment yesterday said that he wanted me to start her on organic brown rice cereal. I'm not ready for that, but I figured it wasn't up to me. My thinking is that Morgan needs to tell me when she's ready. So yesterday I gave her a spoon to play with... obviously I was right there. Anyway, she held it for a minute or so and then started crying! To me that means she's not ready.
#63 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Thank you all SO much for responding to my post and telling me that you hear me and are with me. It means so much.

Twogreencars - a special thank you. It must have taken time to weed through all those posts to find mine and repost it. Too sweet and much appreciated.

An update:
Bottles: We went though a few different nipples and found one she likes - ther Gerber NUK. She does not love the bottle and will drink less and VERY slow ( 3 ounces in an hour) but she will take it now. Thank god! It allows me to go out. THis Thursday I went out with my local Holistic MOms Network and I feel so refreshed from it! ANy of you belong to your local chapter. IT is great! I feel so much gratitude for having a group of like minded mamas so close!

Sleep: Well - we still don't sleep. I actually started putting her on her belly and that worked wonders for about a week. I though I had found the magic answer! Well - I didn't. It is not as bad as it was - but it is not great. Sometimes she will go for about 4 hours (when she first goes down) but as the night goes on it lessens to about 2 hours and then 1 hour in between.

Seraphina is also starting to show interest in food. Looking at me when I eat more intensly (more like looking at the food!). But I really want to wait until she is a least 6 months. There was a really interesting disscussion on here about when to start solids a few days ago that I followed pretty closely.

Still no rolling. Is my dd the only one who has yet to roll?

Thank you all again!

I wish for you all a good night sleep!
#64 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Sap

CLS lets the child decide when, what and how much to eat. It compliments feeding on demand (either breast or bottle), and requires that the baby is ready for solids before solids are given.

Basically you sit the hcild down and give fist size peices of soft foods (steamed/boiled veggies, slices of avacado etc. at first are good) and wait and see what happens. There are no purees, no spoon feeding, and no rice cerial.

One study has shown that if given the opportunity from birth, babies still won't begin eating solids until around 6 months because physically they aren't ready. They also won't be able to pick up small things that could be choking hazards (peas etc.) until they are able to safely eat them, so the choking hazard is taken care of naturally.

Some people (my mother included) think we're nuts for doing it this way and are absolutely sure Hana is going to choke and die. They think that children need to be taught how to chew with runny foods (I'm not really sure how that works, but it's the usually thought).

We had been getting a lot of pressure to start Hana on solids. She was watching us eat, sitting unasisted, reaching for food etc., all the usual signs of being ready, but wasn't even 5 months old yet. After reading that babies will not be able to eat solids until they're ready, we tried Hana with some Avacado one week before she was 5 months. She would pick up the pieces, bring them to her mouth, chew a bit, then spit it all out. I'm sure she didn't swallow any of it. She wasn't ready, so we've relaxed and are holding off. Plus we had something to say when people started gasping in horror that she hadn't had any cerial yet. We'll try her again in a couple of weeks and see what happens. When she's ready to eat we know she'll be able to, and we're not going to force feed her before that.

Here's some great links on the issue:
http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html
http://www.babyledweaning.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/B-LW/
#65 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchizever View Post

Twogreencars - a special thank you. It must have taken time to weed through all those posts to find mine and repost it. Too sweet and much appreciated.
#66 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Ooh, someone pm me the drama

I don't plan on introducing solids until 6 months. I'm not sure if we are going to do purees, we will probably just start with some soft foods like avocado, sweet potato and applesauce. I'm not overly concerned with it because I know bm provides complete nutrition for at least the first year of life. I also don't buy into the "window" idea. I'm so sure if I don't start solids at exactly 6months he'll never be able to eat

I hear you on the fussy outfits! I had a few little dress-up clothes given to me as gifts and he never wore any of them! He's usually in sleepers or rompers.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#67 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Well, sort of. Morgan has rolled over in her sleep two or three times but that's about it. She can't seem to figure out how to do it when she is awake. : When she is up she will arch around and try to do it, but she can never seem to manage to get her bottom arm out form under her. : I feel mean saying this, but it's pretty funny to watch. She just gets so frustrated.

We're doing well with sleeping during the night. Actually last night she slept right through from 7:15 until 8 (woke up once at around 4:30 but put herself back to sleep in about 20 minutes). It is day time sleep that I have issues with. Wow, if I can pull off more than one 15 minute nap a day I feel like I'm doing well. Anyone have any suggestions with what works to get your dc down for a nap???
#68 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I have not posted on here because to be honest...I felt not heard. I posted on here a few weeks ago in a rambling distress and got no response - not one person responded to my post.
Hey, Jchizever - Check out my response to you, post #178...is this what you are referring to?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=625862&page=9
#69 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Since we're starting to talk solids, how many of you are doing child-led weaning or child-led solids? I've started doing a bit of reading on the topic, so Sap thanks for the additional links! I am constantly surprised that so many Peds advise starting at 4 months. Don't they keep up with the AAP guidelines?? Guess not. Btw, I even met one mom who didn't give any solids for a year! In general, I think we are too quick to switch them over... I like the CLW concept.

With our first daughter, we did do a few purees, but she wasn't much into what i gave her. she was really a self-feeder and i just gave her lots of finger foods - but mostly based on our meal - mashing up what we ate or making mini rice balls (rice, lentils, veggies, etc somewhat pureed and rolled up into little balls when she had her pincer grasp going).

on clothing, not much shopping here - hand-me-downs from big sister so far! but twogreencars, i'm a little jealous of those european clothes. that's what fit our petite girls best. i sometimes laugh when i put on carters onesies because the leg openings are simply humongous on our LO. Guess it is the Indian genes.

gen, i've also moved little Yas into the cosleeper... not for all of the night, but for most of it. it is a mini so I'm thinking we'll sidecar the crib. Since she turns on her belly whenever we put her down, I'm not totally comfortable with her on our squishy old mattress. But hopefully we'll get a new one soon. I've persuaded DH to go natural latex. Pricey, but it should last a long, long time and it is sooo much more comfy on our backs and latex doesn't is resistant to dust mites.

jchizever, I hope Seraphina will start giving you some rest soon.
#70 of 338 Old 04-07-2007, 10:38 PM

asaunders - yes. Thank you for replying - I guess I did not see it then. : Maybe it's because I am SO tired and bleary eyed Anyway - it seems each day is a little different. In the morning she takes a 30-50 minute nap about an hour after she wakes up. Then the afternoon is a crapshoot. Sometimes (on a really good day) she will nap for about 1.5 hours. At night she goes to be usually around 8:30 (although tonight she is just now going down) I will say I am lucky in that I have a wonderfully, supportive husband. - who is the one putting her to sleep right now! How is your DS sleeping now?

As for clothing. I go back and forth. I got a bunch of clothes at a local kids consignment store. But I was not sure about the sizes and did not take into account that when they are previously worn and washed they shrink!! I do like Gymborre clothes but they are SO expensive (although I do have about $100 in returns to play with!). I barely dress her in dresses b/c I find them annoying - they always ride up! Footsies are easier - but I don't always love the way they look. I usually have her in those when we are home for the day. I would like her to wear more organic clothing - but again SO expensive to be only worn a handful of times.
#71 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 AM

Hi guys!
We've been doing well...TJ rolls from tummy to back and can get those knees up under himself--I'm not interested in him becoming mobile...it's all happening too fast...
I'm def into child led weaning--don't plan on weaning for 3++yrs at least tho...(I hope he wants me for at least that long!)
I won't want to start solids for at least 9mo...dd started at 11mo...
Once item of concern for me recently has been these twitches ds has been having...they are like the startle reflex, only more often--and nothing happens to startle him. I looked up/researched it tonight...could be infantile seizures...I'm not going to let myself get freaked out yet tho...I just noticed it about 3 days ago.
Here are some new pics!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adingBook1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ts/CandTJ1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...traits/2-7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...traits/2-5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...traits/2-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...andwCarly2.jpg

I'm a proud mama!
#72 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Adorable, Mrs. Hos!
#73 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 10:36 AM

Mrs. Hos your dc are beautiful! Your dd looks like Dakota Fanning!
#74 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 02:29 PM

I was out of town for a few days, so I have lot to catch up on .

Dov has gotten VERY into mealtime. If he's lying on the floor or in his stroller while we eat he watches every spoonful from plate to mouth, and if he's on my lap, he tries to grab each one. I snack a lot on sunflower seeds, and whenever he sees the bag he tries to grab it into his mouth. He was also grabbing my cup for a while, so I started to let him try to drink from it, and he does a pretty good job. Only water, of course! So we bought him some sippy cups and likes to hold them and suck from them while we eat. He doesn't get much liquid, but it's better that way. He is also picking up small things, and he sits pretty much independently, so we're just waiting for the six month mark before giving him solids. We plan to just put chopped vegetables in front of him, but I have little doubt he will eat as soon as we give him the chance!

For clothing, I have one rule: CHEAP. So Dov wears some pieces from when I and my siblings were little, and lots of hand-me-downs from neighbors. I vastly prefer the one piece outfits, but I like overalls too -- I draw the line at miniature suit-type things. He's only about 17, maybe 18 pounds, but the 12 month footed outfits are getting to be too short already, and I don't feel like moving him up to 18 months yet, so we're transitioning to socks and pants.

TwoGreenCars -- yes, I did notice that Dov will follow a conversation, but only when he has nothing better to do -- no toys or new accessories on my clothing . What I find the funniest is how he knows when we're talking about him -- or at least, when we're imitating him. I was holding him on my lap and telling a cousin about how he likes to blow raspberries, and I made the noise he usually makes. Immediately, his head shot around to look at me. Also when I imitate his babbling, no matter what he's doing or who he's looking at, his head shoots around.

And my favorite new activity: he's started to try kissing. He does two different things that I think are kissing. Sometimes, when I kiss him on the cheek, he'll turn around, grab my face, and put his open mouth on my cheek for a moment. Then he'll go back to whatever he's doing (pulling my hair, drinking from his cup, etc.). The other thing is he's been practicing smacking his lips, but he tends to do it in response to people giving him loud repeated kisses, so I think he's trying to get the same effect. They're both very cute, and I think he just hasn't figured out that the two are supposed to be the same thing -- he doesn't get to give suction when he's kissing my cheek, and he doesn't get to do the lip-smacking thing against someone's face. But he'll get there eventually.

ANYWAY. That was long. Jchizever, I'm sorry I didn't respond. I usually don't if I don't have personal input, and I didn't. Please stick with us anyway....

Oh, and for other important milestones, and related to rolling: DS rolled off the bed for the first time . Happily, it was onto a pile of clothing on a carpeted floor, but now we know he can go front to back again so we have to be much more careful.

And a sad thing. My mother has been complaining lately about how DS doesn't get to exercise his lungs because we don't let him cry. Well this weekend, he got prime lung exercise. We were staying with friends, and everyone was out. DS was asleep on our bed in the basement, and I left the door open so I would hear him when he woke up. I was putting their boys to sleep, reading books, fixing snacks, etc., until I happened to walk past the basement door and realized that not only was it closed, but DS must have been screaming for ten minutes! .
#75 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Oh my, that was even longer than I thought it was...
#76 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 05:28 PM

Nope- Jodee, Ingrid does not roll either. She doesn't seem too interested, as far as I can tell. She is nowhere near sitting unassisted, and I think it will be well after 6 months before we offer her food (probably banana or avocado-- I am regretting that I did no research on that before she was born- I got a baby food processor becasue I put it on my registry).
She is grabbing things, but still mostly by bringing her two hands together. There really is such a range for all of the "milestones".

She still loves blowing raspberries. Sometimes her whole face is wet with all of the spitting. She has a new favorite sound to make that closely resembles someone gasping for air.

Her night wakings increased dramatically for a few weeks right around 4 months, but now she seems to have gone back to her previous trend of sleeping 5-6 hours, then waking every 2-3 hours after that. I'm pretty happy about it.

Naps--- have been trickier. She is so all over the place with them, and often does not nap well when we are not at home. We went to run an errand today about an hour after she had woken up from her first nap of the day and she had a melt down in the carseat because she was so tired. I nursed her and she passed out immediately. Her sling naps are not what they used to be. Even if I am walking, she will only sleep for about half an hour. I really, really don't want to be homebound-- I feel like getting out and doing things is so important to my sanity.

Until recently, she just napped whenever and wherever.

Clothing-- we are coasting on lots of hand-me downs and gifts (my mom buys her stuff at TJ Maxx), and I supplement by going to thrift stores. I just can't see going and paying $15 or more for an outfit when items at the thrift store are 49 cents. I can play out my desire to shop for her but only spend a couple of dollars each time. It's warm here already (except this weekend!) so she has been wearing a lot of those little suits that are onesies but they have sort of a little skirt/flap attached. When it's cooler, she wears cotton pants or baby legs.

I think Ingrid is around 15 pounds now, and the Moby wrap is not as wonderful as it was before. She is really starting to make it sag. We just got an Ergo, and I'm really liking it. She feels pretty weightless in it.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#77 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
cmg

Quote:
DD has rolled from her stomach to her back exactly once - at her last wbv . She does arch rather well, though, and is finally realizing that if I'm not to be found on one side at night that she should try the other...

We are going on about 4 straight weeks of waking 5-10 times at night. I've read the No Cry Sleep Solution and Healthy Sleep Habits (a horrible book) and most of the suggestions have just made it worse (naps? what naps? Her longest nap in the last 3 days was 45 minutes). My sister's first was the same way. Since dd is incredibly cheerful, interactive, and happy despite teething, I've just decided that That's The Way It Is. Sigh. I'll sleep sometime next year...

DD has been following conversations for a while - I bring her to work and she listens in on all conversations. She even sat through a colloquia talk with only a few "comments". (If you want embarressing nip, try sitting in a room of more than 80 of your colleagues all intent on the speaker, while dd starts moaning while nursing..)

DD has shown no interest in food - she doesn't even put things (except her fist) in her mouth. I like the child-led weaning idea, though.
#78 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 PM

"Clothing-- we are coasting on lots of hand-me downs and gifts (my mom buys her stuff at TJ Maxx), and I supplement by going to thrift stores. I just can't see going and paying $15 or more for an outfit when items at the thrift store are 49 cents. "

Wow! At my consignment store outfits go from $8-$10!
#79 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=cmg;7788080]We are going on about 4 straight weeks of waking 5-10 times at night. I've read the No Cry Sleep Solution and Healthy Sleep Habits (a horrible book) and most of the suggestions have just made it worse (naps? what naps? Her longest nap in the last 3 days was 45 minutes). My sister's first was the same way. Since dd is incredibly cheerful, interactive, and happy despite teething, I've just decided that That's The Way It Is. Sigh. I'll sleep sometime next year...

BTW - how do you put two quotes from differnent posts in one reply message?
#80 of 338 Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
BTW - how do you put two quotes from differnent posts in one reply message?
Jodee, instead of clicking the "quote" button click the one that looks like quotation marks.

DD is sitting up unassisted now. Still can't roll from tummy to back, but that's mostly my fault since she hates tummy time so much I hate putting her down for it.
#81 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Mrs. Hos your dc are beautiful! Your dd looks like Dakota Fanning!
hehehe
Yep, heard that before...and it always makes me proud since I think DF is super cute!
#82 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=CableGirl;7788649]Jodee, instead of clicking the "quote" button click the one that looks like quotation marks.

Did I do it? And if it is multiple quotes then how?

Thanks CableGirl for asking questions in my spotlight! So much fun!
#83 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=CableGirl;7788649]Jodee, instead of clicking the "quote" button click the one that looks like quotation marks.

Trying again...sorry about wasting space. :

QUOTE]
#84 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Hi Mamas,

Aubrey isn't rolling over yet either. She seems SO close, but it's almost as if she's afraid to let go and flop over. I wish she would just do it so my MIL would drop it. One of A's cousins rolled over at five weeks...guess how often I get to hear about it!

Here's my nap plan (A naps in her crib): I pull down all the shades in her room, put on the same lullaby cd, and nurse her. If she doesn't fall asleep while nursing, I walk her back and forth around the room while patting her on the bum for three songs. If she still isn't asleep, I give up! After I put her down, I turn the cd down a little and put it on repeat. So that's what works for me, not that I think it's great advice or anything....
#85 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 12:41 PM

No rolling here yet either, lol. I think he could but he just gets mad and screams then I put him back on his back.
BUT.... He got his first tooth yesterday!!!! Ahhhh! This is going waaaaayyyy too fast. I want him to stay my little baby!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#86 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck View Post
Nope- Jodee, Ingrid does not roll either. She doesn't seem too interested, as far as I can tell. She is nowhere near sitting unassisted, and I think it will be well after 6 months before we offer her food (probably banana or avocado-- I am regretting that I did no research on that before she was born- I got a baby food processor becasue I put it on my registry).
She is grabbing things, but still mostly by bringing her two hands together. There really is such a range for all of the "milestones".

She still loves blowing raspberries. Sometimes her whole face is wet with all of the spitting. She has a new favorite sound to make that closely resembles someone gasping for air.

Her night wakings increased dramatically for a few weeks right around 4 months, but now she seems to have gone back to her previous trend of sleeping 5-6 hours, then waking every 2-3 hours after that. I'm pretty happy about it.

Naps--- have been trickier. She is so all over the place with them, and often does not nap well when we are not at home. We went to run an errand today about an hour after she had woken up from her first nap of the day and she had a melt down in the carseat because she was so tired. I nursed her and she passed out immediately. Her sling naps are not what they used to be. Even if I am walking, she will only sleep for about half an hour. I really, really don't want to be homebound-- I feel like getting out and doing things is so important to my sanity.

Until recently, she just napped whenever and wherever.

Oh my, Atruck. I'd swear you were describing Simi. I don't even have anything else to say about her b/c I would literally be repeating what you said about Ingrid!
#87 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Mila rolls over and over from tummy to back and back to tummy all across the room. It's great fun to watch. She's a very motivated baby!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#88 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATruck View Post
She has a new favorite sound to make that closely resembles someone gasping for air.
DD does this too! DH keeps asking if she is doing this on purpose and I think she is. Glad to know she isn't the only one!

11/06 and 1/09 :
#89 of 338 Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 PM

DD also does something similar occasionally. Her big thing lately is this fake cough when she wants to nurse and I am not getting it to her quickly enough! She does it so much that she then goes into a real coughing fit and can't nurse for a minute, which makes her so mad. It is funny to watch, though.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#90 of 338 Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 PM

ok, so is anyone else having trouble with sleeping because of rolling over? DD rolls over from back to tummy in her sleep and wakes herself up. She can't yet go from tummy to back so she lies there and gets frustrated eventually crying and waking me up. Then we have to go through a whole big sleep routine ordeal to get her back down. I'm hoping this will get better when she learns to go form front to back, but...

Dunno, does this have to do with the so called "4 month sleep regression"? (haha, like sleep patterns are linear.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page