what did you do with the placenta? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: what did you do with the placenta?
Planted it 19 23.75%
Cooked it and ate it. 1 1.25%
Nothing 40 50.00%
Other 20 25.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 06-17-2003, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually eating the placenta is very common in some childbirth traditions. It is thought to help the mother produce extra good stuff in her milk. Don't have the book handy to share the practices, (nak-ing) To each there own

With dd1 we were in hospital and were lucky to just look at it. Apparently mine was quite a spectacle because it was so huge. So that is where that extra 60 pounds came from!

With dd2 we planted it on a hillside of dh's grandparent's property.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#32 of 33 Old 06-17-2003, 10:20 PM

my placenta ended up being very used up this time around. it was very tiny and gritty, either from dates being off or possibly because i had some high blood pressure. so we won't be steaming and dehydrating it for consumption. we went ahead and froze it & will plant it sometime in the fall. i wonder if its ok to plant it in a oak barrel under a rose or fruit tree or is it best in the ground. anyone here use a container? i love the idea of spiralling and drying the cord for a medicine bag. i'm going to try that once it thaws, dries and sew it into an animal shaped 'bag'. thanks for the idea! its so neat to see the different ways we are empowered as women and how that manifests itself it the expression of nourishing ourselves, our lives, plant life and us spiritually and artistically!
#33 of 33 Old 06-18-2003, 02:25 AM

Didn't save #1 but planted a Mt. Ash over #2. And, OMG imagine how I felt when I saw the dog come running in w/a dirty nose. Luckily, I'd called her in before she got down that far. I am certain. Yes, I am. Our Mt. Ash is now safely fenced

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page