what did you do with the placenta? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: what did you do with the placenta?
Planted it 19 23.75%
Cooked it and ate it. 1 1.25%
Nothing 40 50.00%
Other 20 25.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 06-05-2003, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I want to honor the placenta that so beautifully nourished our son during my pregnancy. We're leaning towards planting it in the garden so it can be returned to the earth and continue to nourish. I'm wondering what everyone else did with theirs and whether you had any special ceremony to accompany it.
#2 of 33 Old 06-05-2003, 01:28 PM

we planted ds's and plan to plant dd's. currently dd's is still in the freezer. with ds we planted a sunflower, we have not a seed for dd yet, we will plant it when we get the seed. no special ceremony but but we do feel it is important to plant it.
#3 of 33 Old 06-05-2003, 02:33 PM

A friend wants to use it in her birth class!
#4 of 33 Old 06-05-2003, 03:28 PM

With my 1st, we planted it after having it in the freezer for months & months! With my next (anyday now! ) I found a recipe to steam it with a jalapeno, lime juice, garlic and then slice it real thin and dehydrate it, then powder & encapsulate it to use for medicinal purposes such as PPD. I will also be willing to take a bite of it raw if necessary if I have any hemmoraging. I hear Moms love the smell of it cooking. I'll let you know what i think! I didn't really get a chance to check out my Son's placenta & look forward to really examining this one and checking out the amniotic sack & cord veins and will even make a print of it on some nice watercolor paper before we prepare it.
#5 of 33 Old 06-05-2003, 04:03 PM

I left mine at the hospital. I have to be honest, I didn't feel that much of an attachment to mine. I never really felt that it was my placenta that was nourishing my baby, but rather my body and spirit as a whole. I did look at it with my first and was surprised at how large it was. I couldn't eat it. It seems to much like liver, and I just can't do organ meat. This is just my hang up, but eating it is a bit to canibalistic for me.
#6 of 33 Old 06-05-2003, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I voted other as DH made a placenta essence for DD#2's. DD#1 was born in the hospital -- c-sec -- so I never saw it even. DS's we left attached for 12 hours because DH threw away the cord thread away (he didn't know what it was), and on top of that DS was born in February and there was not enough sunlight to make the essence.

Edited to add:

I also took a small bite of DD's placenta (raw!), so I could have voted for ate it too.

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 33 Old 06-05-2003, 08:03 PM

We kept it in the freezer. Then we gave it to the midwife. They take them and donate to whoever trains the search/rescue dogs.
#8 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 12:38 AM

We had a lotus birth and after DD pulled her cord off, we wrapped the placenta in cloth and put it in the freezer. I don't want to bury it yet because we are in Australia and will be in America in a couple of months. I will eventually bury it in a huge terracotta clay pot and plant something on top of it! Hopefully DD will be old enough to help bury it then!
#9 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I cooked it, dried it, ground it up, and ate it with a teaspoonful of applesauce. I didn't actually like the smell when I was steaming it; exactly like liver! Very iron-rich, very nourishing. I still have a bit in the freezer. I feel good about it.
#10 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 01:08 AM

DS was born in August, but we buried it in January under the Christmas tree. My parents always buy their Christmas trees live - meaning burlap sack & all. DS was born at my mother's house. We got it out of the freezer and all went out to toss it in the hole. I said a few words about it nourishing the tree. Then we all got cold and let my step-father finish planting the tree.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#11 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 03:17 AM

We have 2 girls, both of theirs are still in our freezer. Oldest dd is almost 3 1/2 . We didnt want to plant them where we used to live and where we now live is where we want them "planted" but we havent gotten around to it yet:
#12 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 05:16 AM

My poor placenta...It was in the fridge the first few days, then I put it in the freezer. Then the ice storm hit and we had to leave, and our house was with out power for days, thus thawing everything in our freezer out. Blood everywhere. So I refroze it (ouch) but the baggie broke So I defrosted it again and set it in a bowl in the fridge and let it "beef jerky" it shrunk to less than half it's original size. I don't exactly know what I'm doing....was just going to keep it frozen till we found a place to bury it. Now it's in a better ziplock baggie and back in the freezer (dh was sick of seeing it in the bowl lol). Wonder what will happen next?
#13 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 11:38 AM

I realized mid-c-section that I had forgotten to tell the doctor that I wanted to keep the placentas. Luckily, I managed to yell loud enough for them to hear me and save them. Then we ended up leaving the hospital without them! I remembered about them the second day home and promptly burst into tears . We called the hospital, and though the nurses thought we were nuts, they managed to find the placentas in some fridge. My mom (who never kept any of her placentas) was sent to rescue them. Just as the nurse was handing them over, the bag broke and the placentas fell on the floor! But they picked them up and put them in a better bag, and now they're in our freezer. We want to plant them under a tree (or two trees?), but we can't decide where to do it since we most likely won't be buying a house for several years. We might do it at DP's parents' house. . . After my mom brought the placentas home, I made lots of people hold both babies and the bag of placentas to see how heavy it all was. . . Too bad we couldn't save all that amniotic fluid too!

I hope we don't have the placentas in our freezer for years. . . I'd like to plant them before the ground freezes again.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#14 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 12:00 PM

Here's a picture of my placenta:

http://adobe.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...21b33dedcac4b5

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#15 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 01:11 PM

After saving ds' placenta in the freezer for more than 4 years we planted it alog with dd's placenta under a black oak (native California oak) in our front yard . The nurses at he hospital were I had my babies really wanted us to take the placenta and they put it in a dish with a lid
Now whenever we are palying in the front and I noticed that the tree is loosing its leaves or that it looks taller It always makes me think of my babies

Jula
#16 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 01:11 PM

We had a beautifl ceremony planting a Magnolia tree on top of it. My inlaws were there, and to her credit (which I rarely give her ) MIL was extremley well-behaved. She didnt say anything derogatory, but did look a bit green!

My neighbors had their baby in the hospital and I helped them steal theirs so they could do the same thing. It was kind of funny, I was actually in labor at the time and I just slipped it into a bag and put it in my backpack. The babies are 2 days apart and each has her own Magnolia tree nourished by the placenta.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#17 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 02:24 PM

With ds#1, who was born in the hospital, it got left behind (I was offered it, but not encouraged to take it...didn't know where I would put it, etc.). The midwife did play with it a little to show us it's structure (the amniotic bag was still attached to it, so she stuck her hands in it and "re-formed" it to show us it's shape...kind of cool).

With ds#2, we froze it and just thawed and planted it about 2 weeks ago . We cut it in two and planted it under two lilac bushes in our front yard, one for each ds.

OT, my d-fil came by yesterday and dh was showing him our new landscaping and mentioned that the placenta was buried underneath. He informed dh that that was "too much information" LOL I think he is still tramatized from ds#2's birth (he was around the house for several hours of my labor watching ds#1...it was his first and last experience listening to a naturally laboring woman and I was LOUD )...

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#18 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 04:21 PM

We bought a lilac tree at a local nursery, and planted the placenta and the tree (which was in bloom on dd's birthday) in a "naming/blessing" ceremony we had with family. My father acted as "high priest" and we found some passages on the internet by searching for "pagan" or "blessingway" or "birth ceremony" - can't remember exactly.

It was very nice - we honored the four directions, annointed the baby's forehead with salt water (for earth and water), and waved some candle smoke over her (for fire and air), then we passed her around and everyone made a "wish" for her.

The highlight of the ceremony was my 5 year old niece exclaiming at the top of her lungs "Ewwwwww! What's that? It's gross!" as the placenta slid out of the plasticware into the ground. Who was supposed to prepare that munchkin......?
#19 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 04:21 PM

Both of mine are still in our freezer. I've been wanting to plant them for a long time now, but......
#20 of 33 Old 06-06-2003, 06:40 PM

I left mine at the hospital. It was sent off to verify if DD had a two vessel cord.

Surprisingly she had a three vessel cord. Very uncommon for a baby with Downs.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#21 of 33 Old 06-07-2003, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by sylviamama:

"The highlight of the ceremony was my 5 year old niece exclaiming at the top of her lungs "Ewwwwww! What's that? It's gross!" as the placenta slid out of the plasticware into the ground. Who was supposed to prepare that munchkin......?"

Ummmm, that would be me! Who knew?! I was lying on your kitchen floor with a migraine instead of preparing my dd for seeing a placenta!(I was pg , but didn't know yet, hence the migraine. Our girls are 9 months apart! )If it makes you feel any better, sis, I prepared her so well for Ellie's placenta burial that she could be heard loudly directing her little friend, Hannah, who was in attendance, not to yell, "Ewwwwww, gross!" :

We had similar ceremonies to sylviamama's for my girls' placentas, as they share a grampa and "high priest"! I didn't plant anything over either one, but rather buried them under the same crabapple tree in my parent's yard (we live in an apartment above their house). It was December when Sophia was born so her placenta stayed in the freezer for so long, I finally just wanted to do something with it, so didn't buy a tree. Then I wanted to be sure both girls were treated the same.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#22 of 33 Old 06-07-2003, 08:40 PM

ds is 13 months old..
and mine is still in the freezer.
I hope to put it in the ocean...
#23 of 33 Old 06-07-2003, 09:56 PM

Ours went to a donation thing in our city's hospital.

They might use it for stem cells to help someone.
Might use them for research.
Might not use them and we could always try to get them if they are available we get first dibs!

I wish everyone had the option to chose to donate, I am happy with the choice.

The idea of eating it is making me queazy.
#24 of 33 Old 06-07-2003, 11:51 PM

Well, I didn't take dd's placenta... and I'm not sure what the hospital did with it. We didn't have the money to pay to bank it.

Ds' placenta is in the freezer. I finally hid it at the back on thebottom shelf because dh was grossing out on it every night when he packed his cooler for work- it was on the top shelf right at eye level! :LOL

We'll plant it eventually. We're adding on to the house, but I'm not sure if we'll stay here permanently or not. I might plant it on my parent's land... or my BIL's land if he buys the 40 acres he put an offer on.
#25 of 33 Old 06-08-2003, 02:19 PM

I think with my first two hospital births the placentas wound up in hazardous waste disposals of some sort. :
#26 of 33 Old 06-09-2003, 01:45 PM

After the birth of my first child, my midwife stir-fried it with garlic and onions and I ate (part-of) it! It was a psycological exercise, but I did feel very nourished and it helped tremendously with my ppd. Dh even tried some!

For our second child, we had a nice ceremony and buried it in the ocean at low tide.

For both, I wrapped the umbilical cord in a spiral, let it dry out and put it their medicine bags.
#27 of 33 Old 06-13-2003, 03:02 PM

I voted "Other" because ours is still in my parent's freezer...We plan on planting it, but when DD was born, the ground was too cold to plant anything. My mom volunteered to store it in her large freezer so our small one had more room for food. Hopefully, this summer we'll plant a tree at my parents place with the placenta to nourish its roots.

My folks still live in the house I grew up in, and we want DD's tree to be somewhere more permanent than our back yard, since we hope to move within 5 years.

I don't think we'll have a fancy ceremony, maybe read a few poems & prayers & take a few photos of the planting.

Does anyone know if it's too late for me to dry the umbilical cord, now that it's been frozen for 6 months? I'd love to try that, if it's still possible...
#28 of 33 Old 06-17-2003, 12:09 PM

I am amazed with the comments regarding eating the placenta. I dont think the child or the family will feel the "honor" when you eat the placenta. I probably think they will feel sick and confused. Why are you eating a human, mutual benefical organ that has worked very hard to nourish this new child. I can almost see planting the placenta. You need to see a psychiatrist. Probably have a phone number already.

I am proud of my hands, and the brain that controls them, I will not honor them by eating them, instead I will take care of them properly, maybe put some lotion on the hands and take the correct vitamins to help nourish the brain.
#29 of 33 Old 06-17-2003, 05:56 PM

Unfortunately, we didn't save dd's placenta. I'm sure it was disposed of at the hospital. I would like to keep my next child's placenta and plant it under a tree, like many of you have done. Our midwife did show us dd's placenta and explain all about it. It was very cool.

Annakiss, I liked your placenta picture. It sure looks different than mine did.

DIESEL, there are benefits to eating the placenta. It works very well in stopping post-partum hemmorage. It could actually save a woman's life if she was bleeding profusely. It can also aid in preventing post-partum depression. I've heard that it works wonders for that. All other mammals eat the placenta, I don't think it is strange for humans to do so even though I wouldn't do it myself unless I really needed it. It is full of good vitamins and the hormones in it are what help the bleeding and depression. If I were to eat it, I would freeze-dry it and put it in capsules.
#30 of 33 Old 06-17-2003, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DIESEL
I am amazed with the comments regarding eating the placenta. I dont think the child or the family will feel the "honor" when you eat the placenta. I probably think they will feel sick and confused. Why are you eating a human, mutual benefical organ that has worked very hard to nourish this new child. I can almost see planting the placenta. You need to see a psychiatrist. Probably have a phone number already.

I am proud of my hands, and the brain that controls them, I will not honor them by eating them, instead I will take care of them properly, maybe put some lotion on the hands and take the correct vitamins to help nourish the brain.
Nice first post!

Welcome to the boards, huh?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page