nursing in the car, help me break a bad habit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2007, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
alright, I know this is a hot button issue over here, but let me preface and say DD and I are both fully buckled when this happens, and only my breast is in the carseat (we have a small car, I have mildly big breasts ). I started doing it in Feb. when we drove 7 hours to disneyland and there was NO WHERE to pull over for hours, and DD HATES her carseat....nursing for a few minutes here and there put her fast asleep for a few hours. great, right? except now EVERY time I buckle her in she cries until I give in and nurse her. I don't want to do this, it hurts my ribs/back, it stretches out my right boob (not that I'm really superficial about this stuff, but its rather noticeable...), and I really don't want to have to nurse EVERY time we get in the car. We have an arsenal of toys, both battery operated and not, teething rings, sippy cups of water, I sit in back and sing/talk to her, I've tried sitting in front and being super quiet (like maybe if she didnt see me she wouldnt want it?) NOTHING works, and I end up giving in after 10 minutes or so....Has anyone else had to deal with this before? I feel bad because I DID start this, and I cannot just sit there and watch her scream and cry and tense her poor little body up like that when I know exactly what she wants. We tend to avoid driving as much as we can, but I'm also a SAHM with PPD so I jump at the chance to leave my tiny apartment whenever I get the chance....
anyways, you mamas are always so helpful, so TIA for any advice you might have.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 04:31 AM

: I occasionally do it too if DD is freaking out on the highway. Ginormous boobs come in handy every once in a while!
(I thankfully don't have to do it every time, but wanted to let you know you aren't the only bad mama! :
Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 AM

That sounds really hard. For us, he only freaks out if he can see me, so I sit in the front seat. I hope you get great advice here.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 PM

At a young age-- babies wants are babies needs.

Lucky you that you have big enough breasts to be able to do this.

With my first on a car trip. I remember once pumping like mad while sitting in the back seat on the expressway trying to get her something to eat.

Now, with #2-- I pull over (when alone) and can drape myself over the carseat and nurse her. Not comfortable but it works in a pinch
Old 04-09-2007, 01:58 PM

I had the same problem with DS1. Like you, i started it, and I felt like I was the one who had to fix it. And I will admit I would occassionally do it even after he was "old enough" older than 1. anyway, when he was very young and I couldn't/didn't want to nurse in the car I just stayed where I was for a bit (not very useful), when he was older (like 6 months) I used one of those mesh bag feeder things with an ice cube in it. I know, you are not supposed to do that, but it was an ice cube, yes he was soaked, but happy and quiet most importantly. I don't know how old your dd is, but that is what helped us.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 PM

Oh my gosh. I've done this on TWO cross-country trips. Ouch. And I think I hurt my back doing it. I found that it was the ONLY way to do a long car trip for us. DS was 6 months old the first time and 9 months old the second time.
We will still do 3 hour drives here and there, but I've found that now that he's older, I really don't have to do it that often. Occasionally, I will if he's falling asleep and I'm trying to get him in the carseat.
I just try to find things to entertain him with and make the long drives when I know he's ready for a nap.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 PM

i did it too it started with a 9 hr car ride and that was the only way to keep my 4 month old happy in the car seat

but once we got a bigger car seat where he can sit up and look out the window he is fine and out grew it

give it time but for give in he will out grow it or u could try a bigger car seat

ayah

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
Old 04-09-2007, 11:48 PM

I do this quite often, especially came in handy on a 13 hr trip!

At first I could only do my right breast, but then I realized I could sit on my legs and lean straight over and do both with relative ease. This worked better when we used a bucket seat WITHOUT the base (just buckled straight in) as DS was then a good four inches lower (we do this on longer trips, so no back pain). I would recommend putting a diaper/blanket over the hard plastic side of the seat where your ribs are.

And I personally don't think it's a bad habit... some children are extremely anxious about car rides (even just sometimes) and they need that reassurance that car rides are OK (even if it is time after time after time after...).

Good luck with your adventures in riding!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 AM

We were always nursing in the car when dd was in the infant seat. when we moved her to the convertable she stopped always needing to nurse. I thought it was an age thing until we used the bucket on in a rental car recently. Dd would friek out if we weren't nursing within 5 minutes of driving. I think the flatter angle and being lower in the car made her car sick & nursing makes the tummy better.

can your dd see well out of the car windows?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:13 AM

I am having a hard time picturing this. SO your in your seat buckled and your dd is in the seat next to you and you just lean your boob over and feed her from your seat? How big are those things?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:18 AM

I did this when dd#1 was in a rear-facing seat. I occasionally squirted milk on the car door, and I remember noticing a bit still there when we sold the car several years later!
I'm sorry you are in this pickle. I've been there. The only advice I can offer is feed her well before you put her in. Don't sit next to your baby where she can see you. She won't understand. She will cry. But if you want to break the habit she's not going to be happy about it. Or you could keep doing it and switch her to the other side so your other boob gets stretched out to match!

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Old 04-10-2007, 04:46 AM

Wow!

I admit to nursing in the car, but I would take DD out and hold her while doing it (DH driving of course!) DD would fall asleep and I could put her back in the car seat.

If I could not nurse just then DD was usually OK with sucking on my pinky. It would hold her over until we could stop or get home.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 AM

If she can't see you she might not cry so much...honestly, pacis are the best thing if just for car rides. As long as baby is fed well - just pull over and give her a good feeding - and then paci up for a while. She'll be content, and okay, because she's fed, and you will not lose your mind from crying, and your boob will stay the same length as the other one
If you have to drive somewhere by yourself, you don't want your dd wailing the whole time either, right?
If you don't like pacis, then a pinky finger or ring finger is usually just perfect. Works when you're driving too. Mildly uncomfortable on the arm, though.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
Wow!

I admit to nursing in the car, but I would take DD out and hold her while doing it (DH driving of course!) DD would fall asleep and I could put her back in the car seat.

If I could not nurse just then DD was usually OK with sucking on my pinky. It would hold her over until we could stop or get home.
This is incredibly unsafe...the laws of physics don't stop just because you're nursing.

OP - have you considered offering a paci? Or a finger?

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:45 AM

I just unbuckle myself and lean into his carseat and nurse him like that.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 PM

I've leaned over and nursed several several times...now that ds is older he usually enjoys the car ride a lot more. Your dc will also grow out of disliking the carseat or ride, or not being held for that time, or whatever it is, and you won't need to nurse anymore. You'll be able to bring snacks, books, water and all that stuff. I've also done the ice cube thing a pp mentioned. But it is fine, imo to nurse while riding if you can manage it. Good luck! It sucks to drive around with a little one crying, I can relate. Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
Old 04-10-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

you mamas did put it in perspective for me a bit, it won't last forever and she does probably need the comfort. Shes already in a convertable seat but RFing still of course. Shes very anti-paci, she looks at me like "this thing is NOT my mama!!" . When I sit in the front, she screams even worse, though DH claims when he takes her to the store with him she doesn't cry at all. Maybe she can smell me? I don't know how to drive so DH drives us everywhere, or we just take the bus or walk.
I think I will try the mesh feeder thing for the car even though she self feeds at home, this way she can suck on something in the car and not choke. but you all are right, it won't last forever, and it really isn't a big deal since I'm wearing a seatbelt and so is she (well, a 5 pt harness ). I'll also put a small pillow in the car to put against my ribcage. Thanks mamas!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
I am having a hard time picturing this. SO your in your seat buckled and your dd is in the seat next to you and you just lean your boob over and feed her from your seat? How big are those things?
Ha ha I can't picture it either. I am guessing that is because my breasts aren't even close to big enough

I once pumped in the front seat on a 12-hr trip and reached back to feed a bottle to dd in the car seat. (She was on a nursing strike due to reflux.) I can tell you, I got a look from a trucker
Old 04-10-2007, 01:38 PM

I just did this on a 20 hr straight thru trip to Florida with my 4.5 month old.
It was SO TERRIBLE. I still have painful bruises all along my ribcage from leaning over the car seat. Ick. The little pillow idea is wonderful, I wish I had thought of it sooner!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I am really only a C or D at most...we have a 2 door ford focus, we once tried to put 2 carseats in to go to the zoo with a friend and my hips did not fit in between the carseats in the middle seat. Shes on the right side, I buckle myself in the middle and lean forward a bit and hold my breast, she turns her head to the side and nurses off the dreamland. The only downfall is the pain in my ribs/back from the uncomfy position it puts me in, and the stretchmarks I have on my right breast but not my left

Old 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM

When I first read the title of the thread I thought you were unbuckling the baby to nurse. That terrified me. My mom has a friend who lost her baby in a car accident while nursing. My grandma also.

I feel your pain. The worst cry is a baby in a car seat while traveling and you can do nothing about it. I told my DH I would never travel again if I had to put up with my DS crying on a trip.

When DS was 3 months old we took a 2 hr drive and broke down in a company vehicle on a very busy highway. DS was screaming and my husband would not let me take him out of the carseat even on the side of the road. So I had to lean over and nurse with very small breasts. It was hard, then a police officer came to the window to inquire if he could help. I did not see him because I was consentrating on how to nurse a baby in a carseat and my DH was on the cell phone with AAA. What an embarrasing moment for the poor policeman. I got quite a laugh out of it.
I tried pumping and giving DS a bottle he refused. I just had to wait until he grew out of it. Ugg!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:26 PM

ooh, nice to know I'm not the only one who does this! I do worry about getting in an accident though, because I would totally break a rib. But sometimes its the only way to get from here to there without making my poor babe scream the whole way!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post

At first I could only do my right breast, but then I realized I could sit on my legs and lean straight over and do both with relative ease. This worked better when we used a bucket seat WITHOUT the base (just buckled straight in) as DS was then a good four inches lower (we do this on longer trips, so no back pain). I would recommend putting a diaper/blanket over the hard plastic side of the seat where your ribs are.

I know we can't prevent every possible risk, just wanted to mention I didn't see this as a problem either (and have done it) but I read on another board that it presents a hazard in that it makes YOU into a projectile that could hit your child when your body was thrown from an impact. Unless you are saying you are still strapped in when you do this, in which case, I bow to you, because I couldn't figure out how to do it strapped in!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM

I do it buckled in, so I assume some of the other Mama's here do as well. I dunno, never found it to be a problem, just lean toward the carseat! I personally wouldn't have thought of it if I couldn't still be buckled in...as no one in my car rides without a seatbelt!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
I do it buckled in, so I assume some of the other Mama's here do as well. I dunno, never found it to be a problem, just lean toward the carseat! I personally wouldn't have thought of it if I couldn't still be buckled in...as no one in my car rides without a seatbelt!
Maybe I'm just too short! And I'm definitely not working with an abundance of boob here!

User Tag List