carrier/sling advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-07-2003, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are looking for advice about a baby wearing device. We have a VERY large 2 month old son who loves it in the baby bjorn, sort of tolerates the new native and maya wrap, but our backs are killing us.

What do you use?

Thanks!
megin and katie

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#2 of 5 Old 06-07-2003, 07:44 PM

hi there
i use a rebozo (from ebay~ $25) and a packababy ( www.packababy.com ) . and i carry my 20 lb babe all day in one or the other, i meaan literally all day even for naps.
i have found that the secret to carrying a babe with out hurting your back is to have the baby very tight to your body. (which can't happen in a new native, imho.)

hth
#3 of 5 Old 06-08-2003, 01:01 AM

megin -

I also had a very heavy babe (I now have a heavy toddler, lol!). I didn't have this board at the time or know about my carrier options, but there are several I've heard great things about.
One is the babytrekker, which seems to have good back support, and adapts (will work on your 2 month old but goes up to toddler weight on the back...).

I've only really used an OTSBH, and I agree that something adjustable like that allows you to have her whole weight tight against your hips and chest, not 'hanging' from your shoulders or back, if that makes sense? Also I like the padding with how heavy she is, though its bulky it's worth it to me - I still wear her in it on my hip at 16 months, nearly 30 lbs.

enjoy your babe,
mb

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#4 of 5 Old 06-08-2003, 02:49 AM

there are a lot of options (we have a 25lber and use 3 of 4 different styles of sling each day) but the key is to have several good carriers and switch them out. any carrier that offers waist support (didymos and other wrap carriers, baby trekker, frame packs) will help your back. imo the baby bjorn is really hard on the back.

another thing is that with a growing baby it can be hard to keep your strwngth up unless you are carrying your baby a whole lot. sometimes i find that when tristan is in a growth spurt i have to carry him more often or while doing more strenuous activity to keep up with him. we eclusively sling him so we have to keep up! good luck!
tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#5 of 5 Old 06-08-2003, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by BowenTherapist

i have found that the secret to carrying a babe with out hurting your back is to have the baby very tight to your body. (which can't happen in a new native, imho.)

hth
ITA

The other thing is to make sure you have the sling at or above waist height.

I really love wrap around slings like the Didymos/Girasol etc for pain free carrrying. My youngest was carried almost constantly in a Didy for the first 6 or 7 months of his life. The Packababy is also a great carrier. It will even work with my 5 year old. Not that I am over keen on slinging her anymore.

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page