Where is your baby during meal preparation? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Where is the baby during meal preparation?
DH/partner holds baby while I cook 6 100.00%
DH/partner prepares meals while I hold the baby 14 100.00%
Other family member holds baby while I cook 1 20.00%
Other family member prepares meals while I hold the baby 1 20.00%
Other (please post) prepares meals while I hold the baby 6 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-07-2003, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering because right now, it's fairly impossible for me to prepare meals, either for myself or for my husband and myself, and we're living on frozen meals mostly. Anyone else had any tips for getting food ready with a small infant?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#2 of 30 Old 06-07-2003, 09:17 PM

My dd sits in her high chair in the kitchen (used to be in her bouncy seat) while I cook. Also, now it is alot easier because I feed her dinner while I cook, it's kind of a long drug-out meal for her, but she enjoys it. The trick in our house is then eating the meal because by that time, she's bored and wanting to go do something new.:
Lots of dinners are eaten on the floor, her next to me playing
#3 of 30 Old 06-07-2003, 09:23 PM

My husband works second shift, so i almost always prepare dinner alone...or with dd. when she was a babe, she was in a sling on me. She would sometimes be happy in a bouncy seat while I did work at the stove, but if necessary, she was in the sling and I pushed her around to my hip/back so she couldn't reach the pots when I had to go near the stove.

When she was a toddler, I started to involve her in meal prep...tearing lettuce for salad, for example. Since she wanted to be with me, I made sure she was busy so she wouldn't be bored. Now sometimes she wants to veg in front of the TV, but I always offer her the choice of helping prep, and she sets the table.

I figure her helping out now is my reward for figuring out how to keep her with me and happy then.

I also saved complicated meals for days when she napped and I didn't! Or for when dh was home; then we would take turns holding her.
#4 of 30 Old 06-08-2003, 12:03 AM

Every single meal in our home is cooked w/ds 2 yrs. in the learning tower "helping" me and ds 7 mos. in the backpack. So, this makes it a bit (much) more complicated, but keeps everyone happy.

Although, right now I pleaded a headache and dh is now cooking dinner w/both boys.

ps: re: infant...When ds #2 was wee, I'd hold him in the Bjorn. When he was a bit older but still pretty immobile, I put him in the bouncy seat waaaaay back on the counter but always still w/in arms reach. (We have deep kitchen counters so he was always safe.)
#5 of 30 Old 06-08-2003, 12:16 AM

what happened to i hold baby while i prepare meal?

i can't believe i'm the only one!!!!!!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#6 of 30 Old 06-08-2003, 01:37 AM

I sat DS in his highchair and give him one of these biting bisquits while I cook, and he watches me cook while I do so :-)

#7 of 30 Old 06-08-2003, 01:58 AM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
It varies in my family as to what I am cooking. If I can, DD is in her sling while I cook. If it's too dangerous, she is with DH or on the floor in the kitchen with me, playing with her tupperware

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
#8 of 30 Old 06-08-2003, 02:12 AM

My DH is the chef in the family. I rarely ever make dinner.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#9 of 30 Old 06-08-2003, 03:59 AM

I hold ds while I make dinner. Sometimes he was in a bouncy seat or in his high chair next to me, sometimes dh has him, sometimes ds is entertained on the kitchen floor, but generally I am cooking with one hand!
#10 of 30 Old 06-08-2003, 09:26 AM

It really varies in my house. If I make dinner before DH comes home, DD will either be in her exersaucer or high chair. I used to have her in the sling, but I was afraid of her possibly grabbing a knife, or touching something hot because she's *really* quick with grabbing these days. If DH is home, he's on the floor playing with her -- she LOVES having him all to herself when he first gets home from work.
#11 of 30 Old 06-08-2003, 11:03 PM

I usually wear Amber or she is in her bouncy seat, which she loves.

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#12 of 30 Old 06-09-2003, 12:46 AM

Either DP (or someone else) holds her or she's in her bouncy seat, generally (too nervous about sharps/hots to sling here--I can be pretty darn clumsy!)
#13 of 30 Old 06-09-2003, 07:36 AM

It take two hands to handle my little wopper...so if I held him I would have to stir w/ my left foot! What happens to DS depends on his mood....he sometimes plays on the floor(still isn't crawling), plays in his saucer or sits in the high chair. If DH is home, they play. And if it has ben a really hairy day we go out for burgers

Peace, Ellen
#14 of 30 Old 06-09-2003, 09:51 AM

at this point, ds (10 mos) is underfoot! crawling around and playing. When he was littler though, it was either the sling, bouncy seat, or dh's arms, depending on what I was making and how he was feeling. When he was tiny, like your little one, I tried to do all of the prep work during the morning naps, so I had as little to do as possible at dinner time. I also got a crockpot and learned how to adapt recipies to slow cooking!

hang in there, it gets (a lot) easier as they get older!
#15 of 30 Old 06-10-2003, 01:13 PM

With my first baby, I put her in a Snugli, and prepared dinner. then she got to like her bouncy seat a bit, and i put her there (she will be 16 in august).

My second and third babies loved the bouncy seat, swing or exersaucer. i put them in and made dinner! they loved it, and i was able to cook dinner!
#16 of 30 Old 06-10-2003, 01:48 PM

I hold him unless I am using the stove. The he is still on my leg. Or he will play with the pots and pans. I tried a chair for him to stand on so he could watch but I have to stay right there as he might fall being only 14 months. Poor daddy can't help much. when my son wants me no one else will do.
#17 of 30 Old 06-10-2003, 05:12 PM

I didn't vote because it changes. When dh is working I have the baby in the sling while I cook. When he's home sometimes he plays with the baby while I cook or sometimes I still sling our babe while I cook if I feel he hasn't had enough time on me. On the rare occasion we go out to eat I hold the baby while I eat.
#18 of 30 Old 06-11-2003, 01:52 AM

Cooking with my dd is close to impossible, and since my dh often comes home within an hour of her bedtime, he can't help much. I used to try to struggle to cook while she was still awake, but now we usually just wait until she goes to bed and enjoy the event of preparing and then eating a mellow meal. I find I enjoy the experience a lot more. During the day, I just eat easy to prep stuff.

Elise-mama to Zoe Lea
#19 of 30 Old 06-11-2003, 05:19 PM

I picked "other" because it varies. if i'm not making anything too complicated, i have ds in sling. but i don't like doing this if i'm at the stove because it seems dangerous. sometimes i put him in a bouncy seat, but we don't like putting him in this unless absolutely necessary. other times, dh has him in sling or dh cooks.
#20 of 30 Old 06-11-2003, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I work during the day and dh works most evenings and our baby is young. So....

Either I come home from work to hold the baby and dh cooks, or

dh holds the baby and I cook, or

a friend or relation is visiting who holds the baby, or

baby sits in seat on floor or in stroller so he can see me better, playing with toys and having "conversation" while I do a miniscule amount of kitchen prep. Then I stop to hold or nurse him because he is getting yoochy and dh comes home from HIS job, and finishes cooking the meal, or

I do an even more miniscule amount of prep while holding ds, very worried about safety and feeling guilty, or

I take the cordless phone into the bedroom where I am nursing ds and call those nice guys at the local Indian or Thai restaurant and they come and bring us dinner by the time dh gets home.

We eat pretty late.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#21 of 30 Old 06-11-2003, 06:35 PM

Yeah, we're pretty good friends with the guys at the Thai restaurant too.

Elise-mama to Zoe Lea
#22 of 30 Old 06-12-2003, 01:04 AM

being a single mom, my 4 moth old, Jasper, sits in his bouncy chair for breakfast or lunch. but if I make dinner (sometimes my roommates feed me) I wait until he goes to bed, about 7:30 or 8. I find that doing prep during his naps helps a lot too.
#23 of 30 Old 06-12-2003, 11:35 PM

Dh hangs with dd and ds while I cook dinner. He works 3rd shift so we don't do anything fancy for lunch unless ds happens to take a nap outside of the sling since I don't have back-up.

I'm totally nervous about cooking with a baby in the sling. I worry about hot pans and sharp knives.

edited to correct what shift my dh works. :
#24 of 30 Old 07-25-2003, 06:26 PM

Sometimes if i'm lucky I can have DD nap while i'm preparing dinner. Other times she hangs out in her "saucer", or plays on the floor, or is in the snugli. On rare occassions when i running behind she plays in our room while watching baby einstien.
Once and awhile my sisters or DH play with her.

I try to do stages of dinner throughout the day so that it is not alot at one time.

Sorry to be clueless, but what are bouncy seats anyway? :
#25 of 30 Old 07-25-2003, 07:20 PM

I wanted to add to my previous post:

We just dug out the exersaucer so that he can hang in that anytime I'm doing something for/with dd and when I'm cooking and dh isn't around to take him.

He likes to bang at the toys with his lil fists, and I don't think it hurts anything as long as we don't abuse it.
#26 of 30 Old 07-26-2003, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dd was put down somewhere while I cooked (currently she is in her exersaucer or in the living room playing) I also try to make as much ofthe food as I can while she is sleeping. pre-cooking meat, shredding cheese, mixing casaroles, crockpot meals, getting everything in pots on the stove, anything that will make it easy for me to throw dinner on or in the stove. when all else fails we order pizza. I can't hold her while i cook, it is just too risky and there is noone to hold her for me. Once my 6 yo dd held her for 2 hours while I cooked. she was rewarded richly for that

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#27 of 30 Old 07-27-2003, 01:07 AM

In her "highchair" a reclining seat/high chair strapped to a regular chair, but pulled over close to me. Usually with her sister dancing around entertaining her.

Often I give them both the fruit part of their dinner to eat while I'm cooking. (Baby is almost a year!!). It keeps them entertained and less whiney and at least it's healthy.

I have cooked with a baby in a sling, on my shoulder, nursing, on my hip, in the saucer (again, while we talked and sang to her), you name it. Especially with an older child, I can't wait until dh comes home to cook. Dd is ready to eat long before then.
#28 of 30 Old 07-27-2003, 02:23 AM

She is either in her high chair snacking on something, or napping.
#29 of 30 Old 07-27-2003, 03:49 AM

Ds was nursing pretty much 24/7 in the first several months so he was usually in arms or in the sling nursing while I cooked (didn't really have any other option). Once he got a little bigger I put him in the backpack, then by about 10/11 months I had him help me with the food prep.

Laurie

#30 of 30 Old 07-27-2003, 03:12 PM

I try to get meals prepared while DS sleeps as much as I can. We like to have dinner almost as soon as DH gets home, since he gets home too late for me to start dinner then, so when the baby naps, I chop, stir, and do whatever else I can to get dinner ready to pop in the oven. Sometimes I make stuff that has to be cooked on the stove if he wants to nap right while I'm making dinner or if he's enjoying playing by himself. Now that he's sitting, it should get much easier. He thinks it's hilarious to just sit on the floor by himself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page