I clipped the tip of my baby's finger. :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
DD's 4 months old and I've managed to avoid doing this so far, but today she needed her nails clipped, and I've always done it while she's awake b/c she's so cooperative. So I grabbed her thumb and clipped one corner of the nail and it was fine. Then I went to the other corner and clipped it WAAAAY too close, even drawing a little blood. She told me right away how much it hurt and how distressed she was and I picked her up and hugged her and after like 10 seconds she was fine.

But, do I need to "do" anything? Her other thumb is her "favorite" one to suck but she occasionally sucks this one, too. Will the blood hurt her if she accidently swallows a teensy bit? Her thumb is so teeny I can't imagine being able to get a bandaid to stay on it.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done that more than once. Why do they come with fingernails?! They are impossible to manage! Can't they just grow in when they're two or something?!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok... I guess never mind.

In the time it took to write that post she managed to clean all the blood off her thumb herself. I'm thinking she'll be fine... when I was a kid I used to lick my wounds, and I turned out OK. (at least I THINK I'm ok. lol)

Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynthfair View Post
Why do they come with fingernails?! They are impossible to manage! Can't they just grow in when they're two or something?!
This is bringing to mind an interesting image. "Why is your baby so fussy, is she teething?" "Nope, she's fingernailing."

Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM

ouch! i am so chicken about the finernails, i only clipped them for the first time last night - and he is 12 wks! it was the grabbing during breastfeeding that finally got me over my fears. ouch!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 PM

Oh, I HATE clipping fingernails! I clipped too close the 2nd time I did it when DS was about 2 months old and ever since then I just dread it and put it off until he, DH and I are all covered in scratches. Glad to hear that your little girl seems not to have suffered any long term effects.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:30 PM

I too am covered in scratches because I've done this and fear ever doing it again! But those little fingernails grow so darn fast! I better add a calcium suppliment because he's clearly leaching it from me...

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 PM

*hugs* we've done it, too. I know it feels just awful but I'm sure she knows you didn't do it on purpose and you were right there comforting her!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 PM

My ped recommended that I chew baby's nails when I first cut dd while clipping them. That was 6 years and 4 babies ago, and I've done it ever since. It really seems to work. I haven't cut any of my babies since.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM

My mom told me to bite ds' fingernails too and I have, when he will let me. I know other mama's that file them too.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM

I don't advocate cutting baby fingers off.

That being said, babies and toddlers regularly regrow fingers that have been cut off. Literally. As in, the fingertip gets cut clean off. And grows back like it never happened.

So... don't make a habit of it, but you don't need to be THAT distressed about it, either.

I repeat, though, for the edification of those who will claim otherwise, I DO NOT ADVOCATE TESTING THIS.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amris View Post
I don't advocate cutting baby fingers off.

I repeat, though, for the edification of those who will claim otherwise, I DO NOT ADVOCATE TESTING THIS.
Would people really think you were saying to test this theory? I think I may need to just go to bed b/c this is making me giggle like I just heard a dirty joke

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

I use the emory board and I try to peel his nails down when they get soft enough through the filing. Then I file some more. I must do it every day, or every other day....they grow so fast!

His nails are SO short. And guess what? He still gives himself HUGE scratches on himself, on me, etc. I really wish their fingernails grew in when they were older, because everytime he nicks himself I want to cry in frustration.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 PM

dp cuts them when I'm
Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 AM

You guys make me feel better because I've done it multiple times :

DD's fingernails are just super strong. Tried filing them, but they take forever and she never stays still that long. So, the first few times I did her fingernails I clipped her skin. She didn't even cry, but I felt terrible. Then my older DD started saying, "Mama, don't cut her nails, you hurt her" :

Fortunately as she's gotten bigger I've gotten better at it

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10

User Tag List