Thinking about ending co-sleeping--is this going to make my baby less attached? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read so many posts about Moms going crazy with sleep deprivation--that's me too. I've gone back in forth in my head about the idea of switching my dd to a crib--she's now 9 months old and waking up, wanting me to hold her all night long, nursing. I don't know how she sleeps but I wake up not feeling like I slept at all. I read about the Sleep Lady and how she has a technique for sleep training that involves very few tears. Does anyone have experience with her technique? Does anyone have experience switching their baby to a crib and having their baby seem less attached? or the same?
Thanks,
Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 11:00 AM

I've never heard of the Sleep Lady, so I can't comment on that.

IMO, I don't think co-sleeping is the be-all-end-all to having an attached child. If your child feels secure, has all her nighttime needs met, and gets enough sleep in a crib, then I don't think either of you will suffer.
#3 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM

I agree with the pp.
#4 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 06:00 PM

No Cry Sleep Solution - has great ideas for ending the night-waking gently
#5 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

The problem would be that nine month olds still wake up and want things most of the time, no matter where they're sleeping. So unless you're planning to have the baby cio, you'll still be waking up to take care of things. Co-sleeping might actually be helping you get more sleep. My 2.5 year old didn't start sleeping really, really great until she was about two.

I didn't care for the no cry sleep solution, but many people swear by it. Good luck
#6 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM

My DD is 9.5 months, and we switched to partial co-sleeping a month or so ago, and we both sleep much better. She sleeps in her crib until I go to bed, then I get up and feed her one time after that and put her back in her bed. The second time she wakes, she comes to bed with me. We haven't really followed any sort of established method, just finding what works for us.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#7 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 PM

My understanding of The Sleep Lady is that she has Mom or Dad sit in the room and watch while baby fusses and cries it out - which would definitely impact your attachment. I haven't read her book or used her method though, so I may be wrong about her approach.
#8 of 8 Old 04-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylove View Post
IMO, I don't think co-sleeping is the be-all-end-all to having an attached child. If your child feels secure, has all her nighttime needs met, and gets enough sleep in a crib, then I don't think either of you will suffer.
I completely agree with this. My 9 month old has been sleeping in her crib since she was 19 weeks (this is when she stopped night nursing), and we've both slept better than ever. We've never left her to CIO, and her needs are met on the rare occassion that she wakes. I don't feel that our attachment has suffered in the slightest because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyArnold View Post
The problem would be that nine month olds still wake up and want things most of the time, no matter where they're sleeping. So unless you're planning to have the baby cio, you'll still be waking up to take care of things.
I think that the OP may find that her baby doesn't need or want things in the night once they've gone through the process of learning to sleep alone. Children, and babies in particular, sleep very restlessly and IMHO, it is detrimental to the sleep of the parents. I think that once the baby has gotten used to his/her crib then you will find that what was really happening was that the restlessness was waking mom, who in turn by being awake was arousing the baby, leading to a vicious cycle of night waking that wouldn't be happening if baby was in his/her own crib.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page