So are wheat and eggs so awful...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I'm going to get scalded for this but I give my 9 month old some wheat and some eggs. Let me say that those are NOT staples in his diet and that he eats mostly fruits and vegetables.

He always wants to eat what we eat so I whenever I have my toast (which is organic whole grain, no sugar, etc) I give him some. And he loves it. I have also given him a little of bit of my veggie omelettes that I make with whole eggs.

Maybe this is a big mistake but I grew up in Europe and we ate what our parents ate since we started eating solids. My friend says I might regret it later because he might develop allergies and I might not even notice it until he is older. Should I stop? So far he seems fine. No bowel movement problems, rashes, etc.
#2 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 09:14 AM

my 3 y.o. did not have food sensitivities untill weaning a few mo.s ago,my baby had them through my breast milk. if he seems fine, he probably is. especially if there are no other family members with stomach problems, or asthma. BON APETIT!
#3 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:12 AM

My pediatrician is very, very, very over the top about no wheat or egg whites until a year of age. I'm not sure why either.
#4 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 AM

whenever i hear those types of things about what not to feed your baby by a certain age i always think....well i ate those things and so did my fiance and we are fine. i had never heard of the wheat and the eggs, but things like strawberrys and peanut butter.... maybe im old school but i plan on letting amelia try things when she wants to once we start solids. the only thing i have said to my fiance is that the quality of meat he buys will need to improve (i am a veg, he is not - we will let her try meat) - things like nitrate free meats and organic raised animal product will be all she gets at home from me.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#5 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Hi,

I did stick to the no wheat, no egg, no milk etc recommendations because my family has a history of food allergies, celiac disease, hay fever and eczema. If family members have these it is best to delay introducing these to your child's diet til at least 18 mos or older because food allergies/sensitivities are actually a result of an immune system defect and it is best to wait til your child's immune system matures somewhat before introducing them. If you have no family history of these things then maybe there's no need to delay?

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#6 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 AM

My ds has been eating either scrambled eggs or oatmeal for breakfast every morning since he was 6 or 7mo. He's 10mo now. I mentioned to his ped that he loves eggs and she didn't say anything. I'm not worried about it because neither I nor dh have any food allergies. Neither does anyone else in our entire family.

I think if there are no food allergies in the family it's ok, but that's just my opinion.
#7 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 AM

agreed - if no one in your family is allergic to wheat or eggs, go right ahead!! after all, people have been eating wheat and eggs in many cultures worldwide for cennturies. it's perfectly nnatural..
#8 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/

All three of mine ate whatever the rest of the family ate, from 6 months on. No exceptions.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#9 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hmmm, at 10 mos old, my ds is a toast fiend Like the otehrs have stated, we have absolutely no history of food sensativities to worry about........

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#10 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 PM

We introduced wheat at around 9/10 months. The only reason I held out so long is because my mom is allergic. And we didn't introduce egg whites (she had yolks at 7 months) until she was a year because a few members of my family have egg allergies. Otherwise, I'd have no problems.

I think the incidence of developing allergies later in life is when they're fed before 6 months, when the gut is still open. Otherwise, I think it's just assumed that the child would fair better in an allergic reaction if they were older.

DD now gets scrambled eggs in the morning, and she loves all sorts of bread. I've also started introducing foods that have honey baked in them, where as before I wouldn't even try that. I've sort of given up on the "slow introduction" thing. She pretty much gets whatever we're eating. She loves hot peppers, and tabasco!

If there is no history of allergies, I wouldn't worry about it!

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#11 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 07:35 PM

As others have said, I think you are fine. Most of those guidelines exist for families with a history of food allergies. There is something about the antibodies in babies before a year -- they aren't fully developed, so if they are allergic to something and they eat it, the reaction is worse and they aren't able to build up a tolerance for it, so they will always be severely allergic to that food.

That is what I read somewhere, it could be completely false, so take it with a grain of salt. But if you haven't had any issues with those foods, then you are probably fine.
#12 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
Hi,

I did stick to the no wheat, no egg, no milk etc recommendations because my family has a history of food allergies, celiac disease, hay fever and eczema. If family members have these it is best to delay introducing these to your child's diet til at least 18 mos or older because food allergies/sensitivities are actually a result of an immune system defect and it is best to wait til your child's immune system matures somewhat before introducing them. If you have no family history of these things then maybe there's no need to delay?
I have eczema and hay fever but no food allergies. What is the connection?
Thanks

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#13 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2bja View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/

All three of mine ate whatever the rest of the family ate, from 6 months on. No exceptions.
Same here! Ds was eating chili when he was 7mo. But I think every kid is different and some don't handle solids as well. My ds doesn't have any indigestion and everything comes out totally digested and looking like poop, not like whatever was for dinner. Well except for corn, but corn comes out of me whole too.
#14 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 PM

depends on who you're asking and if you follow some kind of diet. We eat a straight forward traditional foods diet. My kids both ate eggs and meat before much else, and yogurt.

I think eggs are one of the best things you can eat, and definately before a year old if they are interested in food.

The only wheat we eat is ground by me and soaked so as to go easy on the digestive system
#15 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
I have eczema and hay fever but no food allergies. What is the connection?
Thanks
Many people w/hay fever and eczema also have food allergies and/or sensitivities. From what I understand (and I am NOT an expert) hayfever and eczema are caused by by a defect in a person's immune system and very often a particular food type, like dairy for example, can cause excema flare ups. I was also told that eczema and hayfever are different expressions of the same defect. However, food allergies can be hard to pin down. My son was tested for food allergies/sensitivities and the skin test came up negative for everything. But I know he is sensitive to almonds because of how his skin flares up when he eats them. There are more sensitive tests (too invasive for me) that would probably confirm what I already know about almonds!

Here's an link that can explain the link MUCH better than I can:

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?xyz...etail&ref=1093

Have you ever been tested for food sensitivities? Have you noticed that some foods make your eczema worse? Many times my son's eczema just seems to get worse for no reason so it's not always food related.

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#16 of 27 Old 04-16-2007, 11:30 PM

I have definitely been much less wary of what ds eats than I did with my first two. He's almost 8 months and still doesn't eat on a regular basis but he's had avocado, mashed banana, blueberries, green beans, pears, ham , small pieces of bread(more like crumb size ). Most of those things he's only eaten once.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#17 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 AM

Regarding wheat, babies don't produce enough amylaise, an enzyme to digest grain, until about 2. Improperly digested grain can cause some food sensitivities even if there is no history of it in the family. This is not an issue at all if you chewed the food for the babe, since there is enough amylaise in your saliva to help digest it.

Regarding eggs, hens in conventional farms are often given feed with yellow #5 in it for the beautiful yellow color it gives the yolk. This particular dye has been linked to eczema and asthma, as a trigger. This of course is not the case if your egg came from a pastured hen.

I'm not saying that either of these taken once will make your kiddo have food allergies or sensitivities, but I don't think either are an appropriate everyday food for young ones.
#18 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 12:30 AM

we have no history of allergies in the family, and my 11 month old cannot handle dairy, soy, wheat or gluten.
eggs are a big allergen, thats why i havent tried them yet.

DS 5-11-06
#19 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie81 View Post
I think if there are no food allergies in the family it's ok, but that's just my opinion.
That's what I think.

...but what am I saying, she's not eating anything but breastmilk at 7 months
#20 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky View Post
That's what I think.

...but what am I saying, she's not eating anything but breastmilk at 7 months

you really shouldnt assume though. read my above post.

DS 5-11-06
#21 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie81 View Post
Same here! Ds was eating chili when he was 7mo. But I think every kid is different and some don't handle solids as well. My ds doesn't have any indigestion and everything comes out totally digested and looking like poop, not like whatever was for dinner. Well except for corn, but corn comes out of me whole too.
oh yes, I find it hilarious that from the only 2 things she actually ate something without spitting it out one of is spicy ( but not hot) indian lentils

the other string cheese :
#22 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 AM

Once upon a time i'd have agreed with most of you ... NOW however i'd strongly encourage you to find SEVERAL good solid sorces, as in books with a couple hundred pages of in depth info, about allergies and what you May not be already trained to look for as MANY early alergy signs DONT show in "normal" ways like diarhea, constipation, rash etc.

Going from "no allergies" .. thru the kids we discovered
Dairy(cow, goat)
egg
potato
tomatoe
kiwi
apple juice
grape juice
broccoli

and those were the obvious ones.. there are some i'm still trying to determine as they are pretty mild right now.. but ANY has the potential to become major without notice.

some allergic reactions can be as simple as sleepiness, headaches, slight muscle twitch(virtually unnoticable unless watching specificly for it) and hundreds of others

So little of our food now is "pure" that it is very hard to know what one may be being exposed to.

Not saying either way that feeding or not d\feeeding things at certain times should or shouldnt be done.. but as so many other things... PLEASE do you research!!!!!

I recently discovered that alot of the foods my kids are allergic too are ones known to be watched for in people who are allergic to latex.... none of my kids show signs of latex allergy.. but DH and I are BOTH allergic to latex.....
#23 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Scrapping mom, I'm interested! How did you pinpoint the allergies? I mean, how do you know you aren't just seeing correlations with things that would have happened anyway? It kind of sounds from your post like almost any physical symptom could be interpretted as an allergy, so I'm honestly curious how you narrow things down and determine the causes.
#24 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 12:56 PM

I think since you and your dh have true allergies, you have a reason to be on the look out. That said, true food allergies are not that common and I consider a true allergy something tha could become life threatening, not sleepiness, my goodness, then we are all allergic to wine and turkey. My ds7 mos has had eggs, wheat and gasp, strawberries and he was fine. Not saying all babies would be, but I think the symptoms you described are too vague to classify as an allergic reaction. JMHO
#25 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflcpw View Post
I think since you and your dh have true allergies, you have a reason to be on the look out. That said, true food allergies are not that common and I consider a true allergy something tha could become life threatening, not sleepiness, my goodness, then we are all allergic to wine and turkey. My ds7 mos has had eggs, wheat and gasp, strawberries and he was fine. Not saying all babies would be, but I think the symptoms you described are too vague to classify as an allergic reaction. JMHO
keep in mind there are plenty of intolerances. my son is intolerant to milk/soy/wheat/gluten. what that means is it messes up his GI tract, and he becomes "colicky". he sleeps terrible and is fussy, and that is often times the only sign of his intolerance. we dont have any intolerances in the family.

DS 5-11-06
#26 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I think the incidence of developing allergies later in life is when they're fed before 6 months, when the gut is still open.
Hi North of 60,

What does this mean? "When the gut is still open..."

Just curious!

April
#27 of 27 Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 PM

dis - i learned it various methods depending on the kid, the symptom etc, I started with my oldest DD and i found she was allergic to egg thru a blod allergy test, dont ask the name casue i cant ever remember.. drives me crazy.. from there i got a few books so i could feel i really knew what things egg was in, by what names and that sort of thing. That was where i became aware that allergies DONT just surface as major reaction from the start all the time.. although the ones which start out major are extrememly scary and dangerous(like finding a DC has severe anaphilactic reaction to peanuts for instance.... yikes! )

many allergies, like illnesses will first show mildly, kind of our body warning us that something is wrong, these allergies may or may not ever become major but we should be paying attention to mild signs as well was my point.

I can dig out one of my books that was very helpfull as far as learning about other signs to be aware of.
As far as someone i forget who belittling the "sleepiness" response..sometimes mild seizures look like sleepiness in some small children .. so yes, something so simple CAN infact be a VERY dangerous sign.. of course not ALL sleepiness is, but when out of place it should be noted, just like you would if it happened after a vax. (this I learned from personal experiance with my oldest DS) I was happy he was taking a nap so easy.. until later

It is true that there is a difference between allergies and intolerances, but many times mistakes happen in diagnosis of each, and really they are very close often and what apears as an intolerance can eventually develope into an allergy at a later date... it may be 80 yrs...lol so not necesarily a thing to freak about.. just to make a mental note of for future referance.. just in case

the traditional(i guess you could call them) allergists who do the pin prick/scrath tests, they will generally tell you, if theres no hives/rash or asthmatic.anaphilactic types of reactions then you are fine and have nothing to worry about...... what about an allergy which causes your body to turn onitself and let say.. attack your brain??? Is that fine just becasue you dont have a rash???
I had a friend who was allergic i think it was to milk(its been years so i might be wrong on the what) and when they had it, even a little bit, there personality would change, to the point they were ALMOST diagnosed pschitzofrenic(spelled wrong), fortunately he found a doc who was willing to watch and realize it ONLY happened when he had milk.... yet all his allergy tests came back perfect because he didnt break out or have trouble breathing.

i was told in my early 20's i was "lactose intolerant".. i've recently been getting MAJOR headaches and moodswings when i have even a small bite of icecream.. to the point i've removed myself from my family a couple times.. i just had a BLOOD allergy test come back saying i AM allergic after all...after saying i was and being tested numerous times over the last 20 years and told, you breath fine and have no rash so you're fine.

again.. i'll get teh name of a couple of the books and send them to you.. there is FAR more to be known than most docs and allergists like to acknowledge.. for some unknown reason

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page