I really need to get my baby to eat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-10-2003, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She is a year old and will not eat anything but breastmilk. I had her tested for anemia and she is slightly anemic. I don't want to give her iron drops as I feel natural sources are a better way to go and healthier. But she won't eat anything. She definetly won't let me feed her or dh. She won't feed herself either. Occasionally when I am letting her play with food in her high chair she will lick something off her hand.
Just tonight I was letting her play with an arrowroot cookie (the kind that instantly dissolves) and she got some in her mouth. I was so happy then she started to gag and throw up. This always happens. Whenever she gets something solids in her mouth she gags and throws it up. Very unpleasant for all of us.

I've tried all kinds of foods, different textures, even slumped so low to let her try ice cream.
The only thing she's ever liked was the first time she had solids, she ate a lot of the mashed banana and human milk and the one time she stole one of dh's skittles (she licked it clean of its color).

I just don't know what to do. I was so sure she was healthy until those iron results came in. Any ideas on how to get her to eat?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#2 of 6 Old 06-10-2003, 03:53 AM

Does she show any interest in your food when you eat? My dd will only eat sporadically in the high chair, but always wants what I am eating. I just sit her on my lap and put whatever I want her to eat in with my food on my plate and feed her that way. Of course, that doesn't solve the gagging issue - forgot about that. Have you asked your ped?

Hope someone here has more experience for you...
#3 of 6 Old 06-10-2003, 10:15 AM

You say she is slightly anemic, how bad is slightly?

I would probably not worry about it for a few months (3 or 4) and then test again.

I hear differing views on wheather incresing your iron makes a difference, but it sure can't hurt.

Vitamin C is also needed for iron absorbtion, sometime that is all it takes. Will she eat an all fruit, packed with C, popsicle or smoothie?

Again, slightly anemic, would probably not worry me at this point. And actually the smallest bit that she actually ingests can interfer with the ability for her to absorb the iron in the breastmilk. She might be better if she wasn't eating anything.
#4 of 6 Old 06-10-2003, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Her hemoglobin is 10.6 and hematocrit is 31.7.

My problem is I can't get her to eat anything. She will occasionally take a sip for my cup but not more than 2 sips. She will drink water from a cup but not juice or a smoothy.

I've tried a whole spectrum of foods prepared in a variety of ways and she just doesn't want to eay anything.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 6 Old 06-10-2003, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Again, slightly anemic, would probably not worry me at this point. And actually the smallest bit that she actually ingests can interfer with the ability for her to absorb the iron in the breastmilk. She might be better if she wasn't eating anything.
Since I can't edit I am going to retry this paragraph:

Eating solid food causes a whole different chemistry in her intestines, the smallest bit of solids that she eats could be interfering with the digestion of the iron that is in breastmilk (some things bind to it, other enzymes might be interfering ect). She might actually get more iron if all she eats is breastmilk, no licking or sipping other things.

I am not sure of "normal" levels, but isn't supposed to be like 11 and 34?

You have to make your own decesions, but I would probably get a list of anemic syptoms (whatch if she is tired, whatever) and keep and eye out for those but as long as they are fine, I would just not worry about any of it. I would not worry about the eating or iron unless she seems to be showing a lack of iron, and then test again in 3 or 4 months. Perhaps in that time she will be eating, perhaps she will still be exactly the same levels (in which case I would think that perhaps they are normal for her), and maybe she will have more or less, and at that point you could make a new plan.

Many toddlers only eat breastmilk for most of the first 18 months. My 1st was largely exclusivly breastfed until over 2, and though I never got his levels checked, I feel he is very healthy.
#6 of 6 Old 06-10-2003, 06:30 PM

Have you read this: Kellymom on iron supplementation ? Lots of helpful links and references.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page