Momma's I Need Your HELP....Have Some Pedi and Pedi's Recommendations Questions. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I took my 11 month old DD to the doc today for a well check. I know many of you say just not to go, but I like the comfort of knowing there isn't something I may be missing and proof of care.
She came in at 16 and 1/2 pounds and 28.5inches tall. Her weight is below normal and her heighth is at 50%. She has always been in the 85-95% for heighth and 25-50% for weight so I know there is a decline. I have only been offering solids 2x a day and will go up to 3x and include more protein and avocado. The doc did a quick iron test and she was 9.3. She wanted to do the supplement but I told her I would rather do other things. SHe also ordered a thyroid test for her, but I think her wieght will resolve itself on it's own and I'm not concerned about her thyroid.
I did go have an iron test done on me today and waiting for results.

Here's the questions...
Doc said that if I increase my iron with natural supplements it will go through to her, but I've read that it will only go up so much in my BM, not necessarily enough to help her. But then again if I am deficient that could help balance things out. Thoughts???

And how do I know if I have a good doc for her? This is her 3rd doc, the other 2 were pedi's and vax pushy so we left, although the 2nd pedi was more open to trying natural remedies. What things should I look for during the exam? I know one mistake was that she didn't turn off the lights during the eye exam, and another being the iron misconception. And overall I don't feel that she did a very thorough exam. But what else should I make sure they do?

And how do I find a good, educated, but natural pedi or family doc? I am going to switch again because both my DH and I felt she wasn't very educated, so what can I do to ensure a good doc for her? There is a DO out here but I dunno if they are experienced with children.

Thanks for reading all of this. And please, if you have any thoughts I am all ears(well eyes ).

xposted in health
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 PM

: Yeah I want a new ped too, but stuck in Kaiser :
Old 04-17-2007, 07:48 PM

There is no "normal." There are averages, but it's okay to be below that. What is important is the rate of growth, not the actual weight. There is also a different growth chart for breastfed babies. Make sure that your doctor is using that one. It's here.

As far as finding a good doctor...well, I haven't found one since I moved in Sept. To be fair, I haven't tried very hard. I do want to find a good one to contact in an emergency. Anyway, the one I used to have was good. She was respectful of my choices, and agreed with many of them. She was friendly and nice to my kids. She made me feel in control of my children's health decisions. I will not see a doctor who talks about things like vaccines as if I have no choice. I also don't want to see a doctor who is in love with antibiotics and other prescriptions. I go a lot on how I feel too. If I feel not taken seriously, no deal.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Sorry, OT, but what is a DO?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 PM

Ooh! I just got a DO as well. They're doctors, but they have a specialization in homeopathic medicine? I think? Sorry I'm not really sure. My DH is VERY pro medical system and I'm very anti. This was what we came up with as a happy medium and we both love her.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's something to consider......for example...a 4 oz jar of pureed apples is 60 calories and contains zero fat. 4 oz of mother's milk is about 88 calories and contains a lot of fat.....which do you think is absorbed more fully and is a more complete food ???? bm ofcourse. If she's not gaining enough weight I'd cut back on solids and offer the breast more often.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :

User Tag List