Personal question... graphic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2003, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post pardum question:

I was wondering if something about my hormones after birth or about breastfeeding is causing me not to have as much pubic hair. Is this just me? I was shaved at the hospital for the c/s and I hardly have anything there now and it has been 6 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2003, 06:12 PM

They shaved you for a section? I thought they didn't shave women any more....

But in any case, when I have, er, trimmed myself I have noticed it can take a while to grow back in. And a lot of hair on the front of my head fell out post partum, so now I have involuntary bangs that are just now starting to grow back in. So it may be part of the post-partum-thinning-hair thing.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 06-10-2003, 06:26 PM

I have noticed that I don't have to shave my legs very often! BONUS!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 06-10-2003, 06:43 PM

I trim myself there and I have noticed it's a bit thinner now....
Old 06-10-2003, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane
They shaved you for a section? I thought they didn't shave women any more....
I was pretty shocked too, as I found out I would be shaved about a minute before it actually happened! It was just the antithesis of the birth experience I wanted. I cried. Anyway, once I was actually having the c-section I understood why they had shaved me. They put this very very very sticky large thing over the whole "surgical area." So if they didn't shave women first, it would be really very horrible when they took that sticky thing off and all the hair would get yanked out.

To answer the original question: Mine has pretty much grown back at 4 months pp. It is pretty thin, but I never had too much to begin with. I always wished I had a bit more

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:31 AM

I was shaved-- part-way. They only shaved from the top down to as far as they needed too. They don't shave the whole area because the hair helps prevent infection. It was just so the tape from the dressing (after the surgery) wouldn't stick to hair and then be really painful to pull off!!

~Melissa
Old 06-11-2003, 01:48 AM

I was also shaved for a c/s but not all the way just the top inch or so (my scar is now under the hair line) but the hair doesn't quiet cover it.

it does seem a little thinner but thats fine by me, if I trim my hair (about once ever two months or so) you see mostly skin!
WTMI
Old 06-11-2003, 11:21 AM

I got shaved for c-section too, the top part where they cut me. It grew back too quickly. I guess it can depend on your hair growth pattern but after 6 months? Hair loss can be due to thyroid problems and also thyroid problems commonly occur after pregnancy so you might wanna check with your doctor if you need testing for this. I forget which one causes hair loss - hyper or hypo thyroidism?
Old 06-11-2003, 09:42 PM

They shaved a bit on the top for my c/s too. Haven't noticed any lack of hair down there though...

Is it just me, or was one of the worst parts of recovering from the surgery having the hair grow back? Hated that!!!

~Melissa
Old 06-11-2003, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They shaved me for my c-section in January 2001. The hair never grew back so they didn't have to shave me for my c-section in November 2002. Maybe I'm just a freak!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 06-12-2003, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I was surprised that they shaved me too. I would have shaved myself. As she shaved me she said, "They'll do it here so your hair will grow back over the scar to hide it." I said, "Lady, what do you think I'm growing down there? A forest?" It was my nerves.

I'll go get a check-up then. I was hoping it was just hormones. It is not normal for me to be so bare. Not that I mind. I hate shaving.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, I didn't think much about it until I was in the locker room of the gym a couple of weeks ago and a woman was changing in front of me. Then I remembered what I used to look like. LOL.

I go in the locker room to nurse both girls at once because I get pretty bare to do both. What is funny is that these women who are getting buck naked in front of me won't look at me nursing? They avert their eyes when they realize what I am doing? Don't you find that odd?
Old 06-13-2003, 03:02 PM

I didn't have a c-section or get shaved but I did notice that during my pregnancy, I had super, super long hair there (but I didn't have to shave my legs - difference in where the blood is circulating I guess), so after the birth, it was a surprise to see how short it was again.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by laralou

I go in the locker room to nurse both girls at once because I get pretty bare to do both. What is funny is that these women who are getting buck naked in front of me won't look at me nursing? They avert their eyes when they realize what I am doing? Don't you find that odd?
A lot of people have not been around nursing so they are not sure what is proper edicit(sp). They don't realize that just acting regular is the thing to do. Some think maybe you want privacy. That it would be rude to look at you and talk to you while you are nursing.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I was shaved for my c-section as well. My hair grew back immediatly. I am a very hairy women. If you are not very hairy that could be why. In time I'm sure it will grow back.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:49 AM

I'm not naturally a very hairy person but become so during pregnancy "there" and afterwards always loose a ton and become very thin "there". I've got the involuntary bang thing going too. Well, more in the areas where the hairline on a man receeds. lol
Old 06-15-2003, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has your AF come back? I was just thinking there's probably a connection between the normal low estrogen levels associated with nursing and the thinning/slow growing hair.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 06-16-2003, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, AF hasn't shown hide nor hair. LOL That is still my best guess for this- the lack of hormones I mean.

User Tag List